Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Would you like to see orchestral score as a stretch goal?

eternity music orchestral

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you like to see orchestral score as a stretch goal? (190 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see orchestral score as a stretch goal?

1. No, I think that it doesn't deserve divertion of part of the money from other aspects of the game (92 votes [48.42%])

Percentage of vote: 48.42%

2. Yes, I think that orchestral score would enhance the experience in a substantial way, and spending part of the money this way is grounded (75 votes [39.47%])

Percentage of vote: 39.47%

3. I don't care (23 votes [12.11%])

Percentage of vote: 12.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

jerf

jerf

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 16 posts
This was already discussed on the forum, but I don't think that I've seen a poll specifically on this subject. So, would you like to see orchestral score as a stretch goal?

Piccolo

Piccolo

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 431 posts
Only if it fits with the game and the overall vibe Obsidian's audio team already have planned...

Aedelric

Aedelric

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 477 posts
I was going to instantly click yes. But I paused and thought best not.

The cost would be too much and the money would be best used on other aspects of the game. Perhaps would be good for Eternity II though.

Freddo

Freddo

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Justin Bell made a good post about this in another thread.

Orchestras are amazing things aren't they? There really is no substitute to having real musicians play good music together as a group. That example from Gothic 3 is a testament to that I think. So yes, without question, it would be incredible to have access to one.

The thing is they are very, very expensive... Prohibitively so in many cases, which is why many composers use multi-sample libraries for their projects instead. It's cheaper to spend a couple grand on a good orchestral library that you can use over and over than it is to hire an orchestra for a single session. So while I said there's no substitute for a real orchestra, you can still get very convincing results with samples. Here are a couple examples of that (be sure to watch them at their highest quality level if you so that you get better audio):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB3njyDW8SY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoZdaHs887g

Not that these pieces of music are appropriate for PE. I just think that those examples do a good job of illustrating the point that a high quality emotive score can be achieved both with, and without, real musicians.

metiman

metiman

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 492 posts

No. If only because it's too expensive and doesn't really result in anything better. The money would be better spent elsewhere.

Silver6986

Silver6986

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Hell yes I do! But if this really did meant that there would be much less (as in... A LOT less) of the funds to go around other aspects of the game then I would rather the funds NOT go towards an orchestral score.

I just have no idea what sort of ball park figure you would be looking at with regards to this.

Ieo

Ieo

White Gazebo of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1410 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Orchestras are amazing things aren't they? There really is no substitute to having real musicians play good music together as a group. That example from Gothic 3 is a testament to that I think. So yes, without question, it would be incredible to have access to one.

The thing is they are very, very expensive... Prohibitively so in many cases, which is why many composers use multi-sample libraries for their projects instead. It's cheaper to spend a couple grand on a good orchestral library that you can use over and over than it is to hire an orchestra for a single session. So while I said there's no substitute for a real orchestra, you can still get very convincing results with samples. Here are a couple examples of that (be sure to watch them at their highest quality level if you so that you get better audio):

Not that these pieces of music are appropriate for PE. I just think that those examples do a good job of illustrating the point that a high quality emotive score can be achieved both with, and without, real musicians.

I was originally going to vote 'yes', but this convinced me not to; a stretch goal is better purposed for actual game dev, and the music will be great, I'm sure, even without a live orchestra.

Maybe someday. ;) Anniversary?

Edit: This is also why I like seeing the Obsidian folks engaging their audience---set us straight on some expectations, etc.

Edited by Ieo, 03 October 2012 - 07:22 PM.

Jaesun

Jaesun

Fabulous Paladin of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1979 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Whatever Justin Bell is going to do/can do is fine by me (with the current/final budget).
  • Majek likes this

Silver6986

Silver6986

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I was originally going to vote 'yes', but this convinced me not to; a stretch goal is better purposed for actual game dev, and the music will be great, I'm sure, even without a live orchestra.

Maybe someday. ;) Anniversary?

Edit: This is also why I like seeing the Obsidian folks engaging their audience---set us straight on some expectations, etc.

Just curious when you say prohibitively expensive. As in... up to say a quarter of the budget!!?? What sort of figure would we be talking??

Think I want to change my vote...

Hiro Protagonist II

Hiro Protagonist II

Ysbryd rhydd of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2579 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
They could always get a school band with Justin Bell conducting.

Would be a good Aprils fools joke.
  • Justin Bell likes this

gakmen

gakmen

Low End of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I`m definitely for an orchestral score, since music in KS video and examples above sound too generic for me. They could cut costs by recording a russian orchestra (I know, since I study in Moscow Conservatory Music College). Quality is good and cost is a waaaaaaay less. ))

These guys, for example:

Edited by gakmen, 05 October 2012 - 06:00 AM.

theseez

theseez

Snarkmaster of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I would rather have more music as a stretch goal instead of having it done by an orchestra. If PE is a success then orchestras will likely cover the music anyway.

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Kickstarter Backer
Well it doesn't need to be an orchestra

"Less soundbank" stretch goal

Chamber music
live recorded instruments
etc

Starwars

Starwars

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3029 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I'm not too keen to have an orchestral soundtrack personally. I would personally love it if the soundtrack was a bit more scaled back and "intimate". Having live instruments, certainly, but a full-on orchestra is not something that is necessarily exciting for me.

But like it was mentioned above, whatever musical vision Justin has is obviously what they should go for. But just not orchestra just for the sake of having an orchestra,

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10594 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Taleroth
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'm comfortable with the stretch goals we have now. Whatever next is icing to me, at this point. Orchestral music seems like fine icing.

Ieo

Ieo

White Gazebo of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1410 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm not too keen to have an orchestral soundtrack personally. I would personally love it if the soundtrack was a bit more scaled back and "intimate". Having live instruments, certainly, but a full-on orchestra is not something that is necessarily exciting for me.

But like it was mentioned above, whatever musical vision Justin has is obviously what they should go for. But just not orchestra just for the sake of having an orchestra,

Hm, yes, what about live instruments? Hire some local talent? Particularly---inns, taverns, major cities--we might see little groups of performer sprites here and there.

The sound of a "living" acoustic cello is significantly different from an electric cello, at least to my ears. With enough "instruments" in a score, that becomes less noticeable, but there could be some good flavor and color there. I'm not sure how that would work as part of a stretch goal, though.

Jarmo

Jarmo

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1216 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Voted no, but I have not even a ballpark figure of an idea of the actual cost involved.

If it'd be like 10K to do full orchestral main theme, I'd say go for it. Money well spent.
If it's 100K, then it's not worth it. Would be worth it if the whole budget was 10x whatever Eternity gathers.

diablo169

diablo169

Vorpal Bunny of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 155 posts
No I dont want that as a stretch goal, I'd like a stretch goal for more music in the game and possibly collaborations with other composers.

agewisdom

agewisdom

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 210 posts
I think the money could be better used to expand on the gameplay and/or quest areas.

TrashMan

TrashMan

Holy Avenger of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1523 posts
Music makes the atmosphere

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eternity, music, orchestral

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users