Would you like to see orchestral score as a stretch goal?

190 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see orchestral score as a stretch goal?

• No, I think that it doesn't deserve divertion of part of the money from other aspects of the game
    • Yes, I think that orchestral score would enhance the experience in a substantial way, and spending part of the money this way is grounded
    • I don't care

Justin Bell made a good post about this in another thread.

Orchestras are amazing things aren't they? There really is no substitute to having real musicians play good music together as a group. That example from Gothic 3 is a testament to that I think. So yes, without question, it would be incredible to have access to one.

The thing is they are very, very expensive... Prohibitively so in many cases, which is why many composers use multi-sample libraries for their projects instead. It's cheaper to spend a couple grand on a good orchestral library that you can use over and over than it is to hire an orchestra for a single session. So while I said there's no substitute for a real orchestra, you can still get very convincing results with samples. Here are a couple examples of that (be sure to watch them at their highest quality level if you so that you get better audio):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB3njyDW8SY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoZdaHs887g

Not that these pieces of music are appropriate for PE. I just think that those examples do a good job of illustrating the point that a high quality emotive score can be achieved both with, and without, real musicians.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoyPu95yCxw

No. If only because it's too expensive and doesn't really result in anything better. The money would be better spent elsewhere.

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

Hell yes I do! But if this really did meant that there would be much less (as in... A LOT less) of the funds to go around other aspects of the game then I would rather the funds NOT go towards an orchestral score.

I just have no idea what sort of ball park figure you would be looking at with regards to this.

Orchestras are amazing things aren't they? There really is no substitute to having real musicians play good music together as a group. That example from Gothic 3 is a testament to that I think. So yes, without question, it would be incredible to have access to one.

The thing is they are very, very expensive... Prohibitively so in many cases, which is why many composers use multi-sample libraries for their projects instead. It's cheaper to spend a couple grand on a good orchestral library that you can use over and over than it is to hire an orchestra for a single session. So while I said there's no substitute for a real orchestra, you can still get very convincing results with samples. Here are a couple examples of that (be sure to watch them at their highest quality level if you so that you get better audio):

Not that these pieces of music are appropriate for PE. I just think that those examples do a good job of illustrating the point that a high quality emotive score can be achieved both with, and without, real musicians.

I was originally going to vote 'yes', but this convinced me not to; a stretch goal is better purposed for actual game dev, and the music will be great, I'm sure, even without a live orchestra.

Maybe someday. ;) Anniversary?

Edit: This is also why I like seeing the Obsidian folks engaging their audience---set us straight on some expectations, etc.

Edited by Ieo

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I was originally going to vote 'yes', but this convinced me not to; a stretch goal is better purposed for actual game dev, and the music will be great, I'm sure, even without a live orchestra.

Maybe someday. ;) Anniversary?

Edit: This is also why I like seeing the Obsidian folks engaging their audience---set us straight on some expectations, etc.

Just curious when you say prohibitively expensive. As in... up to say a quarter of the budget!!?? What sort of figure would we be talking??

Think I want to change my vote...

I`m definitely for an orchestral score, since music in KS video and examples above sound too generic for me. They could cut costs by recording a russian orchestra (I know, since I study in Moscow Conservatory Music College). Quality is good and cost is a waaaaaaay less. ))

These guys, for example:

Edited by gakmen

I'm not too keen to have an orchestral soundtrack personally. I would personally love it if the soundtrack was a bit more scaled back and "intimate". Having live instruments, certainly, but a full-on orchestra is not something that is necessarily exciting for me.

But like it was mentioned above, whatever musical vision Justin has is obviously what they should go for. But just not orchestra just for the sake of having an orchestra,

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I'm comfortable with the stretch goals we have now. Whatever next is icing to me, at this point. Orchestral music seems like fine icing.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm not too keen to have an orchestral soundtrack personally. I would personally love it if the soundtrack was a bit more scaled back and "intimate". Having live instruments, certainly, but a full-on orchestra is not something that is necessarily exciting for me.

But like it was mentioned above, whatever musical vision Justin has is obviously what they should go for. But just not orchestra just for the sake of having an orchestra,

Hm, yes, what about live instruments? Hire some local talent? Particularly---inns, taverns, major cities--we might see little groups of performer sprites here and there.

The sound of a "living" acoustic cello is significantly different from an electric cello, at least to my ears. With enough "instruments" in a score, that becomes less noticeable, but there could be some good flavor and color there. I'm not sure how that would work as part of a stretch goal, though.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Voted no, but I have not even a ballpark figure of an idea of the actual cost involved.

If it'd be like 10K to do full orchestral main theme, I'd say go for it. Money well spent.

If it's 100K, then it's not worth it. Would be worth it if the whole budget was 10x whatever Eternity gathers.

if the composer can make the music on his pc with the quality of an orchestral version (which he can as shown by the samples), then actual orchestras are just a luxury that we dont need

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

You mean ... orchestration wasn't a core goal to begin with?

61512+-+apple_bloom+artist+mysticalpha+bambi_eyes+brunch+scrunchy.jpg

Arcanum just would not have been Aracnum without its string quartet. To be certain, some excellent work can be done with modern tools and a gifted composer, as the first two Fallout sountracks attest. But just try imagining the Star Wars opening crawl with a competent-but-obvious synthetic track rather than the London Symphony Orchestra. It just is not the same. That movie (A New Hope at least) was made on a shoestring budget, so I had always thought that hiring a few good, non-famous musicians - or even an orchestra - would not break the bank.

Even if they don't go with a full orchestra, live musicians seemed such an obvious route to take that I had just assumed that was what they had intended to do in the first place.

Edited by Vargr Raekr
  • Like 2

I think the sound of a game is more important than the graphics, and can often be the most memorable feature. A major factor that helps define how much I enjoy a game is the quality of its soundtrack and ambient sound. I'm probably more likely to play a game based on how it sounds than on any other single factor.

A focus on the highest possible sound quality is therefore extremely important to me, so I'd be in favour of an orchestral recording so long as it doesn't come to more than a couple of hundred thousand.

• Like 1

I was going to instantly click yes. But I paused and thought best not.

The cost would be too much and the money would be best used on other aspects of the game. Perhaps would be good for Eternity II though.

That's why there should have been a forth option in the poll: "Yes, but only as a high stretch-goal."

That way, it could help to actually bring more money into PE.