Would you like to see orchestral score as a stretch goal?

190 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see orchestral score as a stretch goal?

• No, I think that it doesn't deserve divertion of part of the money from other aspects of the game
    • Yes, I think that orchestral score would enhance the experience in a substantial way, and spending part of the money this way is grounded
    • I don't care

I'm more in favour of looking into how much a small group of musicians would cost versus a full orchestra. Maybe some of the tracks can be solo's? I dunno this is really all down to speculation. Were the old infinity engine games even done with real instruments?

@jerf, how do you feel about expanding the reach of this pole to include a fourth option? Something along the lines of: Small ensembles and soloist recordings of live musicians please. Best of all worlds in terms of cost and quality.

Is that even possible? It's entirely up to you though, and if you feel it would dilute the spirit of your poll I certainly understand and respect that! :)

@Justin

Thank you very much for commenting on this topic! Unfortunately, it seems that I can't edit the poll anymore, we'll have to ask moderators. That was really an oversight on my side that I didn't specifically include the option you are talking about from the start. In fact, as is now clear to me, the poll is quite badly formulated. I was thinking about "having live recordings of musicians" when I wrote "orchestral", which is, of course, a mistake.

So in my opinion the best solution would be to delete this poll and start a new one with clearer descriptions and more choices. Can anybody ask mods to do it?

In my opinion, the option "ensembles and soloist recordings of live musicians" would really be the best, especially if you could find some musicians playing some rare medieval instruments.

By the way, what is your opinion of the music from the first The Witcher game, which was suggested above?

Edited by jerf

When Skyrim was released I listened to Matt (Chat) Barton talking about the game, he was slating it from all angles but he mentioned one thing that stuck with me, why the hell are we still using completely orchestral music in fantasy games? Think about how Bladerunner was made all the more fantastical because of the work Vangelis did with his synths, I'm not arguing for all out electronica in Project Eternity but I'd agree with other posters about mixing in other styles, a small village might have a folksy vibe while a somewhat technologically advanced location could bring in some of the eerie weirdness of synths.

• Like 1

An orchestra is not *needed* for this approach for example, in fact , in many cases, it would probably be superflous.

I'm not arguing for all out electronica in Project Eternity but I'd agree with other posters about mixing in other styles, a small village might have a folksy vibe while a somewhat technologically advanced location could bring in some of the eerie weirdness of synths.

This is a good opportunity to clarify instrumentation. We will not limit the instrumentation pallet to just orchestra for Project Eternity. My policy on this is that we'll use whatever most effectively supports the narrative. I consider CRPGs like PE longform art, and you need to keep the sonic presence of the score refreshing in order to have that succeed over the course of time. Instruments are like colors on an artist's pallet. If we were to paint the music of the entire game "red", there's a risk things will get boring. To keep things new and refreshing, its in our interest to evolve that pallet in interesting and relevant ways.

So if its a renaissance era Sackbut, then its a Sackbut. If its Vangelis Juno patches, its Vangelis Juno patches. String quartet, tabla, classical guitar, 12 string guitar, didgeridoo, orchestra, choir, synths, banging on a metal bridge with drum sticks.... Whatever it takes to make the music awesome, we'll put it in.

In the end the score will be cohesive, and nothing is off the table at this point. :)

EDIT:

By the way, what is your opinion of the music from the first The Witcher game, which was suggested above?

Interesting thing about the Witcher 1 soundtrack... Its all computer based, not live :)

Anyhow, more to your question. It's great music! I have to admit I haven't played the game, though I do own it. I think I'd be in a better position to answer that question after playing it, since context plays a huge roll in how game music is perceived.

I've created a new poll, here:

http://forums.obsidi...-music-poll-20/

jerf, thanks for creating the new poll! The first one is great, I hope I didn't give the wrong impression there. But this new one is awesome too if people are interested in getting more granular about this topic.

Edited by Justin Bell
  • Like 3

I wonder though, what about just having some live musicians mixed with the sampled score? Small ensembles would definitely cost less and would still have a positive effect on the overall sound. That can add a lot to enhance expression and realism, in fact I did that on one of the campaign trailer tracks with some of the Horn parts... For those concerned about budget, what do you think of that as a solution?

Even just one live part can make a huge difference, i.e. Diablo 2's Tristram... you don't even notice that everything but the guitar isn't live.

On a totally unrelated note, I really need to learn to play guitar just so I can play Rogue and Tristram.

Edited by Zeckul

I wonder though, what about just having some live musicians mixed with the sampled score? Small ensembles would definitely cost less and would still have a positive effect on the overall sound. That can add a lot to enhance expression and realism, in fact I did that on one of the campaign trailer tracks with some of the Horn parts... For those concerned about budget, what do you think of that as a solution?

Even just one live part can make a huge difference, i.e. Diablo 2's Tristram... you don't even notice that everything but the guitar isn't live.

On a totally unrelated note, I really need to learn to play guitar just so I can play Rogue and Tristram.

I'd love this solution. Orchestral music is great, but sometimes it's better to go for a more intimate sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAVZoGlKsBY

As Zeckul has said, the 12 string guitar is weaved in really elegantly.

So from me, a definite yes for the live musicians (small ensembles, solo parts etc.).

Edited by Karranthain

Music makes the atmosphere

I agree with you

Voted yes beause an rpg game without immersive music is an rpg without atmosphere and any videogame without atmosphere is incomplete. I consider good music almost on a par with a good plot

--- Nimrod of the Obsidian Order ---

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

First off, thanks to everyone who has written in and followed this thread. I'm happy to announce that, due in no small part to this conversation, that we have a new stretch goal that will add Live Musicians to the soundtrack!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/posts

Thank you again for this inspiring conversation. Please, spread the word and help us get those live musicians!

• Like 1