What elements of gaming should KOTOR2 be known for

What do you want KOTOR 2 to do well at?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want KOTOR 2 to do well at?

• Graphics / Sound
    • Story Line / Characters
    • Planets / Planet size and detail
    • Lots and lots of inventory items (Cloaks, more weapons ect)
    • Game Length
    • Replayability
    • Detailed Combat System (More feats, more animations)
    • Mini Games
    • More Different looking and Interactive NPC's
    • More Side quests and Missions

I'd have said change the damn combat system completely, but since they aren't... storyline as always, I guess. :(

Where's the option for "all of the above?" ;)

I voted for storyline/characters, which is definitely the best part of KotOR and I expect the sequel to also focus on story.

Better combat would be my second choice. It was let down badly by limited animations and feats that were all pretty similar. Whether you take flurry, critical strike, etc, is mostly down to personal preference, not because they offer anything radically different. Feats should complement each other in some way. I wouldn't mind seeing cleave and attack of opportunity. That might make combat more unpredictable than beating on one opponent til dead.

As for the planets, yeah, they were way too small, except for the dune sea. You should be able to use a speeder for areas like that.

Definately agree, some more AI script options or more control over party members would go a long way also.

Chucked a vote into larger maps/worlds and details, I really didn't feel a like I covered much ground playing KotOR and a little boxed in.

Lets see...

Story/Characters would be the Alpha and the Omega in a crpg for me. Second priority would be side quests and missions, they are what adds flavour to the main story. Last thing would be planetsize and detail, helps immersion. Those awfully small areas gave an artificially "caged in" feel to the game.

Of way less importance (to me) would be less minigames, flashy graphics, etc. Oh, and please free us from 80% of the already existing inventory clutter, thx.

Couldn't care less about combat and robes with hoods. ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Meh. I think you've missed a terribly important one in player choice or "agency" -- basically, the player's ability to influence the game's environments, entities, and narrative.

I think that that was the real reason for KotOR's success. There was an entire population of console gamers who thought RPGs were all about more or less watching a set of characters and embedded narrative that was completely pre-determined (a la Final Fantasy). KotOR came along and offered what was, to them, an unparalleled amount of influence over the characters and narrative. It wasn't just about watching, but making decisions that, in some cases, were quite meaningful.

And what the hell is "storyline" anyway? Is it just the designer's plot and narrative? Can it include the "unofficial" narrative that emerges through the gameplay itself? Does it include things like theme and setting? Can it be construed to include the player's choices? It's far too nebulous a term for my tastes.

Well i think that surely story & characters are all important in a rpg but that feature was developed well enough in KotOR.So i don`t think developers would make a fatal :D mistake not to work on it. I vote on game length because the first KotOR seems small(even completing the most side-quests) for an experienced :huh::p user!

Life... is strength. That is not to be contested; it seems logical enough. You live; you affect your world

WHat is this!

Am I the only one who voted for more inventory items?!!

More items, smaller maps and less talk...

<_<

"The purpose of abstracting is not to be vague,

but to create a new semantic level in which one

can be absolutely precise."

-Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002

LARGEST SIG WINS !?

There should have been an option for:

Story/character, replayability and lenght. :(

As it was I had to have an agonizing choice between replayability and Story/Character. And I had to settle with story since without it there would be no replayability anyway.

Well depending on how you look at it, some of those/many of those, options are tied closely together.

Anyway, since someone mentioned inventory; I hope something different will be done for the PC version like maybe the good old drag'n drop'n swap system or something, even seperate "compartments" available for inventory to placed instead of/on top of the filters. The mention of quick slots (or something like that) for some weapons has got my hopes up :p

If it weren't for the storyline, KotOR 1 would certainly have been a *meh* experience for me. The devs should never go for something more than the storyline in a true RPG. Who cares if there's good combat if you're not motivated to see what happens after the fight? :p

KOTOR2 should have as good a story as KOTOR 1, but i'll admit that is extremely difficult and i am not sure they will manage it. There are a few other things that could be sorted, that i think Obsidian are doing (Second weapon slots, hooray!!!).

Kotor's story is genius because you are Revan. That was fascinating to many people. I don' t think it's possible to emulate that, nor should Obsidian try. BioWare hit upon a great idea that worked really well. Lightning can't strike twice.