What do you wish not to see in PE

No level scaling.

No quick travel.

No quest trackers or pointers.

No.. and I can not stress this enough. No auto dialogue!

I have many thoughts on this particular topic, but your post is pretty much dead-on.

I think the thing I'd add is, "Yeah, quest trackers can away from the experience," but, "if there aren't quest trackers people need to give you directions/hints/clues where appropriate, if appropriate, that are sensible and, more importantly, accurate." If you're looking for something hidden, you shouldn't be pointed right to it, but if someone is telling you to go soemwhere 'knows' they should bloody well give you good direction, stress on "good" and they better be recorded in your journal for future reference.

Some of the older games at there worst wouldn't provide directions, or, worse yet, would provide you with 'wrong' directions . . . that was discouraging.

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

So the idea with breastplate would be that it would have enough extra room that even large breasted warriors wouldn't be uncomfortable? Perhaps. I'm not sure how real breastplate attaches. Whether it is loosely fitted or tight against the undergarments. I find human female warriors a bit unrealistic anyway.

Actual live honest-to-god real life female human warriors used the same armor as everyone else. Breastplates were spacious enough. If not, they just got a larger one.

This might be a bit grim, but some actual female fighters actually chopped off one of their own breasts to be able to fight more effectively.

I also disagree about strenght. I actually met some really strong females during martial arts training. There are genetic limitations of course, but a highly skilled female could easily defeat all but the most monstrous of dudes.

Plus, strength isn't the only quality required in a fighter. Some really tall and wiry people can make up for it in agility and reach.

What's the problem with having a strength requirement for certain melee weapons? Seems logical to me. Armor as well. Real two handed swords are heavy enough that you need some significant strength to handle them properly. And that's even more true with war hammers, maces, flails, and morning stars which would weigh a ton. A mage carrying a giant weapon seems ridiculous to me.

That's just it: swords are not heavy. A german Zweihänder for example - a real two handed sword, as long as its user - typically weighs at most 3 kg (about 6.5 lb), a Scottish Claymore about 2.5 kg (5.5 lb). Swords over 4 kg do exist, but they're rare and largely ceremonial - and generally considered unwieldy.

Aside from weight, swords are very well balanced. They are not sharpened baseball bats.

As for war hammers, does this look like it weighs a ton: http://www.medievalwarfare.info/pics/warhammer.jpg ?

Real longbows also require strength to use properly.

That's correct. Bows each have their own draw weight, and if you can't meet that, you can't use the bow efficiently or at all. Historical longbows sometimes had pretty astronomical draw weights, that's why the best archers were trained from a young age.

• Like 3

In regards to weapon requirements, I'd like to add no exponentially increasing attributes please. One of the few things I like about DnD is how the attributes stay pretty much the same and you know what they mean: an 18 strength means you are awesomely strong while an IQ of 3 meant that dogs were cleverer than you. In short, they helped define the character. In DAO you would start with a strength of 20 and finish the game at 80 leaving me wondering at just what point did my character become 'strong' and just what a 'strong' character could lift etc.

So the idea with breastplate would be that it would have enough extra room that even large breasted warriors wouldn't be uncomfortable? Perhaps. I'm not sure how real breastplate attaches. Whether it is loosely fitted or tight against the undergarments. I find human female warriors a bit unrealistic anyway. Well, unless steroids are in the game. My female characters are mages and thieves. Not fighters and clerics. Although I could also imagine one as a Kensai type of character with a Katana. Uma Thurman in Kill Bill seemed plausible. But Arnold is a lot more plausible as a Conan the Barbarian type.

Plenty of women in real life were warriors even in the middle ages, the idea that they weren't was created by the Victorians who made up a ton of bullshot about the middle ages still believed today.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Well, I'm playing right now at Icewind Dale, and what I don't want P:E to herit from Infinity game is :

- Bad pathfinding ! It's really frustrating to lose a character because he is stuck or because his mates don't let him move

- I don't want to be unable to equip a two handed weapon or a bow because I wear a shield, I shouldn't have to unequip it to wear these weapons, this have to shift easily.

- I don't like spells memorization. I would prefer to be able to cast everything I want as far as I've learnt it (within, maybe, a limit of spells per day per level, à la Infinity games). That's boring to face a situation where you know which spell to use and then notice you didn't memorized it.

A lot of what I wouldn't like to see has already been mentioned. I'll just add one thing, I already wrote about in one other topic:

- I don't want my PC to be recognised everywhere he goes by even a shoeblack, a florist or a beggar. Even if my character does something that shakes the world, news travel much slower without today's technology and hardly ever reach some peasants living in the sticks.

• Like 2

only two things really:

- the usual obsidian camera (there's hope, maybe an isometric game will have a decent camera for once)

- super hard end bosses that are like 3 time as hard as any other enemy, icewind dale bosses were ok, neverwinter nights 2 was NOT

I don't get the first one. And what is wrong with END GAME bosses being difficult?

A lot of what I wouldn't like to see has already been mentioned. I'll just add one thing, I already wrote about in one other topic:

- I don't want my PC to be recognised everywhere he goes by even a shoeblack, a florist or a beggar. Even if my character does something that shakes the world, news travel much slower without today's technology and hardly ever reach some peasants living in the sticks.

They have firearms, they might have a basic printing system. Plus possibly teleportation. Still I do agree that not everyone should know everything.

They have firearms, they might have a basic printing system. Plus possibly teleportation. Still I do agree that not everyone should know everything.

They don't have a printing system, as specifically mentioned in this update. And even if they had a basic one, news would travel at least a 100 times slower, than nowadays. Teleportation doesn't solve anything either. I doubt those peasants living in the sticks, I mentioned, even heard about it, not to mention using it...

Edited by norolim

Well, I'm playing right now at Icewind Dale, and what I don't want P:E to herit from Infinity game is :

- Bad pathfinding ! It's really frustrating to lose a character because he is stuck or because his mates don't let him move

- I don't want to be unable to equip a two handed weapon or a bow because I wear a shield, I shouldn't have to unequip it to wear these weapons, this have to shift easily.

- I don't like spells memorization. I would prefer to be able to cast everything I want as far as I've learnt it (within, maybe, a limit of spells per day per level, à la Infinity games). That's boring to face a situation where you know which spell to use and then notice you didn't memorized it.

How do you hold/swing a sword with both hands and also carry a shield?

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

• Level scaling - unless it works like in BG games - i.e. actually makes the encounters harder as you level up.
  • Trash combat - see: Deep Roads.
  • Persuasive lines that aren't actually persuasive.
  • Fake choices in dialogues - kill it with fire.
  • Random (and level scaled) loot in the Skyrim fashion.
  • Cooldowns.
  • MMO-like mechanics - DPS meters, aforementioned cooldowns etc.

Edited by Karranthain
  • Like 2

• Level scaling - unless it works like in BG games - i.e. actually makes the encounters harder as you level up.
  • Trash combat - see: Deep Roads.
  • Persuasive lines that aren't actually persuasive.
  • Fake choices in dialogues - kill it with fire.
  • Random (and level scaled) loot in the Skyrim fashion.
  • Cooldowns.
  • MMO-like mechanics - DPS meters, aforementioned cooldowns etc.

Interesting. There's a lot of people who don't actually want to see the MMO thing in a single player CRPG.

Some kid threw a tantrum when I mentioned that I didn't want to see anything WoW in this game, what with spamming the number keys and such.

• Like 1

How do you hold/swing a sword with both hands and also carry a shield?

You didn't get my point. In Infinity engine, if you've a shield equiped and want to equip a bow, you've to go in your inventory, click on the shield, move it in your "bag", grab the bow, and put it in your weapon slot. If you want your shield back, you've to do the same thing, the other way. I would have prefer that it automaticaly move the shield in my "bag" when I equip a bow/two handed weapon.

Oh. I see. It was probably only some implementation detail that caused that problem. It was very awkward.

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

They don't have a printing system, as specifically mentioned in this update. And even if they had a basic one, news would travel at least a 100 times slower, than nowadays. Teleportation doesn't solve anything either. I doubt those peasants living in the sticks, I mentioned, even heard about it, not to mention using it...

I didn't say peasants had access. Lords and kings may have though.

Okay, I can't stand quest markers. When an NPC says: "I need to to find out what Burke is doing, he usually winds up at the black crow tavern after market for an ale before he goes home, I want you to follow him" and I ask "Where's the black crow?" I expect directions, I'm fine with those being written down in my journal I'm even okay with occasionally having things drawn on my map, but not a quest marker, especially one that will follow him throughout the day, even if he buggers off out into the country for an unscheduled picnic.

I don't like stupidly huge sewers either, I think that breaks continuity a bit.

I do like mini-games though, I seen somebody here put them down in a list, but I disagree so long as they're optional.

I'd like to be able to play a card game or two in a tavern, roll some dice, five finger filet, arm wrestle, chess, whatever.

The kind of thing you do in d&d between quests y'know! There shouldn't be a quest that hinges on you winning a hand of cards to advance the story, if you hate playing cards, but there's no reason they shouldn't be there just to add a little bit of depth and a lot of fun.

I like blood to come out of things when I hit them, not flashing lights.

I don't like when there's only one way to do things, if a lock can't be picked then we should be able to kick the door down.

Animations should fit the action, if I kick down a door, I want to kick it in, not hit it with my sword, if I have a tool like a prybar, I want to pry it open, if I have an axe I want to hack a hole in it and unlatch it from behind.

I'm an animator myself, I know its a lot of work, but its a great little touch to have (think the first time you seen someone jump through the window in Arcanum.)

Actually, the animations should change as you get better with your weapons to show skill progression, a novice should barely know how to hold his sword, but a master should be confident and have a crisper attack.

I also disagree about mp and co-op, it never did BG or IWD any harm.

• Like 1

The call of the deep.

Okay, I can't stand quest markers. When an NPC says: "I need to to find out what Burke is doing, he usually winds up at the black crow tavern after market for an ale before he goes home, I want you to follow him" and I ask "Where's the black crow?" I expect directions, I'm fine with those being written down in my journal I'm even okay with occasionally having things drawn on my map, but not a quest marker, especially one that will follow him throughout the day, even if he buggers off out into the country for an unscheduled picnic.

I hate quest markers as well, especially because games tend to be designed around them - even if you can usually disable them, you'll get no directions from the NPC (as the developers didn't bother including them due to the said quest markers).

Edited by Karranthain

I don't want the game and characters to be treated to seriously, I really hate when games try to desperetly destroy every single humors thing just to try pretend that they saying something deep,

Baldurs gate didnt try to make too much of a deep story, it was generic history from zero to hero about chosen one...of many and from all infinity enginee games this was the most fun to play there was balance

Planescape also have forms of humor and could get away with trying to have deep story because the story was generlly very good to follow.

I could be wrong but I think Obsidian is hoping to come up with a story that is 'good to follow'.

• Hero and anti-hero PC path. (Hero and villain Obs, hero and villain.)
  • No PC voice over(this is a given, but I will continually state my loathing of it)
  • Level scaling(Obvious, I don't care that BG had it, it's still offensive)
  • Everyone is grey. ( People are good, bad and in between, not all grey)
  • Class equipment restrictions ( Mages should be able to equip armor)

Edited by Bos_hybrid
  • Like 2
cylon_basestar_eye.gif