PA Report about Eternity and Brennecke - new concept art

I didn't mean anything wrong with my previous post btw.

I just sometimes wonder how women think about it. I didn't think about what was said in the link by shardbearer that they could break their sternum if they fall down.

On the other hand, previous to last picture in that post still had some breast insinuation, and there the armorsmith said that it was fine like that.

Again, not trying to get into a big arguement here.

In a world where magic is real, I just sometimes think it's funny to argue over realism of other things.

I love her hair, but I'm concerned for her safety if she falls and her sternum ends up piercing something important with that boobplate.

Seriously? Think for yourself, please. (And you know why I'm saying that.)

This thread is going to be a discussion about boobplates isn't it?

Edited by C2B

Im curious about whats the issue with the above version of "boobplate". Female breasts extend out from the body (some more than others) and would require an accommodating suit of plate mail to fit properly, no? Or is the general consensus that regardless of breast size, all plate mail should be flat and just pancake the breasts?

I think the general issue with "boobplate" is that it tends to shape around the breasts, creating a weak point in the middle, putting a lot of pressure on the sternum should she fall and having the negative side effect of guiding swords and arrows towards the heart.

However, the plate in the concept art pictured above doesn't actually seem to do any of those things, so I don't see the problem really.

Edit: Wow, this thread moved fast.

Edited by Jandor

Im curious about whats the issue with the above version of "boobplate". Female breasts extend out from the body (some more than others) and would require an accommodating suit of plate mail to fit properly, no? Or is the general consensus that regardless of breast size, all plate mail should be flat and just pancake the breasts?

As others have said, you have a lot of padding and other stuff that the metal plate has to go over to begin with. This is metal armor, not a leather vest. They're more likely (I would think) to create a more unisex armor where the chest piece might have a bit of a slope/outward in that area (then bringing it in slightly again at the bottom maybe) and that's it. Think of a sheet-metal potato sack. But a lot of fantasy art has metal breastplates as curve-enhancing as if they were wearing modern Victoria Secret Bras. I have no personal objection to this, artistically, but it is not realistic at all and not just a matter of "well they have boobs so they need a little more room in that area." (edit: also, as mentioned, to make armor anything like that would be far more work than would generally be worth, outside of costume dept. in Hollywood).

(edit:my terrible Paint drawing removed because a link in an earlier post is better at making the point... :lol: )

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

This thread is going to be a discussion about boobplates isn't it?
Looks like it. I'll join in on the anti-boobplate-but-not-a-deal-breaker crowd.

The interview itself is pretty sparse on information, but cute. I didn't know this was Brennecke's pitch. That's cool to know, too.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Can't say I'm crazy about much of the concept art thus far but oh well. Not a deal breaker...but was hoping for something less forgettable in the art direction of this game.

Yeah. Ad I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Icewind Dale was inspirational for PE'S art. I haven't seen any IWD quality art so far.

Can't say I'm crazy about much of the concept art thus far but oh well. Not a deal breaker...but was hoping for something less forgettable in the art direction of this game.

For me, what tends to be visually memorable would be the world and environment design, as well as the creatures. I can't wait to see some art in this direction.

Edited by Shardbearer

Herald of the Obsidian Order

Yeah. Ad I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Icewind Dale was inspirational for PE'S art. I haven't seen any IWD quality art so far.

The dwarven ranger screams Icewind Dale.

I'm pretty sure significant amount of women would take an armor with boobplate over a standard one.

Because, you know, it enhances. Not all clothing is chosen for practicality, and a lady wearing full plate

might be concerned the hunky fighter boys don't consider her feminine enough. Especially if she has

the "biggest gun" in the whole party.

• Like 1

The dwarven ranger screams Icewind Dale.

My wording was bit off. I was talking about the other two and not the ranger. I happen to like that one (although it's not as striking an art style as IWD).

Edited by yulva

I think the general issue with "boobplate" is that it tends to shape around the breasts, creating a weak point in the middle, putting a lot of pressure on the sternum should she fall and having the negative side effect of guiding swords and arrows towards the heart.

However, the plate in the concept art pictured above doesn't actually seem to do any of those things, so I don't see the problem really.

Edit: Wow, this thread moved fast.

Pretty much my opinion on this. Well, the problem is the concept itself, but as mentioned can bank that under artistic freedom in this case.

It's not like it's this (from the article)

elora.jpg

The dwarven ranger was better, yes. But there's just...I don't know...nothing particularly memorable about this stuff. It's like staring at a generic store-brand version of something.

*shrugs*

I'll blame the lack of detail. The Dwarven Ranger has environment, setting, acting, she's not just standing there. It's like a part of the character's life. These are poses. And probably didn't take as much time.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I definitely like the art style, despite the boob plate the armour actually looks good, better than a long shot for those of us who appreciate practical armour have been getting, and the drawing itself is just so well done. And the pose is just badass! :w00t:

By the way, is it wrong to admit that when I see an exposed midriff the first thing that comes to mind isn't how attractive it is but how you could get some decent stabs in their with an sword or mess it up with an axe swing? :blink:

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

All the art is good, but for quality coloured pieces like the dwarven ranger takes time.

These sketches are just that, early concepts showing the direction they want to take the characters. They serve their purpose for now, we will no doubt be impressed as the project moves on and the team have had more time to create art assets such as the dwarven ranger.

Pretty much my opinion on this. Well, the problem is the concept itself, but as mentioned can bank that under artistic freedom in this case.

It's not like it's this (from the article)

Haha....that pic is great. Stuff like that, imo, is fun for dress-up and artistic stylization, and I like to play dress-up in games as much as anyone. But sometimes it does get a bit tiresome, as a female, to feel like that's almost always the only type of choice/style we see. It's not just about "boob plate" but everything else on top of it. Like in Borderlands 2, the female player-character is wearing pants that are pulled down on one side so her buttcheek is showing, but the male chrs., alas, are wearing loose pants that do no such thing. Just gets old sometimes.

Anyway....the art/style of the picture in the OP is nice enough, imo.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts