Mega dungeon (didn't see anyone make it a poll and Obsidian said it'd be a good idea to do a poll...)

355 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like there to be some type of mega-dungeon in Eternity?

• Yes
    • Yes, as a stretch goal
    • Yes, as a separately funded expansion pack/DLC
    • Don't care for it at all.
  2. 2. Should the mega-dungeon be mandatory for story progression?

• Yes
    • Partially (meaning you might have to do something within the mega-dungeon, but you won't have to "excavate" the entire thing.)
    • No
  3. 3. How big should the mega-dungeon be?

• Infinite randomly generated levels
    • A massive static complex structure of some kind
    • Not extremely long, but not too short either.

You should see Monte's thread from yesterday, nik. We all got into it for a long time, although I was a bit lubricated and mixed up White Plume with Barrier Peaks.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

IMO a mega dungeon would be sweet if it's crafted with inspiration and the different parts of it all have a purpose. Extra long hallways that are there just to take time to walk through are silly. Generally in any dungeon I think part of good design is;

-easy to find ways to get down, but harder to find ways to get up. If you are able to drop through the floor somewhere, guards on the floor below should be mostly looking the wrong way as you've gotten behind them. That should last until you open a door that's unguarded on the side you opened it because then you've gotten to the spot in the level that's past where you dropped in.

-Traps should be present and should work both ways. You should be able to use traps against the inhabitants if you've noticed them before tripping them. Good AI design would have them knowing and avoiding the location of their own traps, but you could use that to force them to eat an AOE spell since they'd be unwilling to cross that section of floor to escape.

-The dungeon should have some kind of purpose in the game world. Jail is an overused idea, I'd like to see something more like a manufacturing centre that perhaps is making use of lava vents for an essentially infinite supply of heat. Perhaps a stronghold of one of the major factions in the game including several ranking members of that faction. If it ends up being a monster's lair, I'd like to see the rooms used for something even if its only storing captives for breeding purposes. Endless tunnels of pointless rock would be nice to avoid.

-Some kind of fast transit inside the dungeon itself once you've obtained the proper keys or opened the proper doors. It's unrealistic to expect that in order to get to the commander's headquarters of whatever this place is an underling is going to jog for an hour around the most circuitous route possible of every level. There should be a short way guarded by the toughest enemies and toughest traps. Desire to clear out the entire place should come from a desire to ruin its functionality, ie killing craftsmen, burning equipment etc. otherwise, you run into problems later in the game because that centre was restaffed and is still doing whatever its purpose is.

-Quest items that get picked up there and are able to be used outside of that setting. IE plans for a weapon prototype that you could take back to your faction and manufacture for your side's use. Eggs of the foul creature that can be tamed and bred by your faction eventually into soldiers or mounts or something. Information on where other resources might be located. The names of people who are working as spies. The kinds of things that people would store in a location assumed to be secure. Some of them you should have to interrupt an NPC before he can dispose of them.

• Like 1

It needs reiterating - the Deep Roads in DA:O were not, in any way shape or form, mega-dungeons.

They were tunnels.

A mega-dungeon requires:

Size

Back-Story

Dungeon Ecology

Traps

Puzzles

Loot (oh yes)

Cool monsters

Even cooler boss monsters

Exploration

WTF moments of sheer excitement

---

I hope you get my drift.

• Like 2

sonsofgygax.JPG

I really liked Durlag's Tower and The Watcher's Keep in BG 1 and 2. But IMO such dungeon should be completely optional. Some small side-quest is ok, just to show you where the dungeon is, but the rest should be up to you to explore or not.

• Like 1

I vote yes for a megadungeon. Dungeoneering is my favorite aspect of RPG's. I do not think clearing it out should be mandatory but make entering it a part of the story and then people can decide if they wish to delve deeper on their own.

Otherwise, it will just be a tedious time-sink like the Deep Roads.

I thought the Deep Roads actually worked pretty well in the context of the game. They were supposed to be a miserable place and an expedition through them should feel like a long and highly unpleasant affair. I think it can be good game design to create an area that makes a player feel worn out and impatient to get it over with, if that's what the character is supposed to feel while traversing through it. Obviously that has to be done very carefully, but I though the Deep Roads pulled it off. However, by no stretch of the imagination can they be considered a mega dungeon.

Edited by dan107

Otherwise, it will just be a tedious time-sink like the Deep Roads.

I thought the Deep Roads actually worked pretty well in the context of the game. They were supposed to be a miserable place and an expedition through them should feel like a long and highly unpleasant affair. I think it can be good game design to create an area that makes a player feel worn out and impatient to get it over with, if that's what the character is supposed to feel while traversing through it. Obviously that has to be done very carefully, but I though the Deep Roads pulled it off. However, by no stretch of the imagination can they be considered a mega dungeon.

Unpleasant affair? A game should never feel like an unpleasant affair. A game should be fun. The area wasn't terrible due the story and lore intending it to be an unpleasant experience, it was unpleasant to go through due to things that had nothing to do with the lore or story or characters. It was unpleasant on a gameplay, mechanical level.

-

This has nothing to do with the idea of a large mega dungeon though, pulled off well it could be a great deal of fun. I'm for there being a story thread that has you do something there, to introduce you to it, but I'd prefer the story not involve it. Rather acting as a side thing you could do, or not do, as you please. It would need to be very well crafted, in my mind, because . . . honestly when I look for something in PE it's not a dungeon crawler. It's a Role-playing game. People mix up dungeon crawlers with role-playing games far too often.

So if it's there it needs to fit, and there needs to be more to it than just combat. Maybe dialogue, but the first thought that comes to mind are 'challenges' puzzles, riddles and mysteries to solve sort of thing. Combat too? Sure. But if it's just combat . . . no. As for the combat that's there it should be the absolute in challenging, the kind that grinding and powerful items won't save you from, the kind that can only be overcome with absolute strategy and planning, tactical thinking prior to combat and on your toes.

I don't want a randomly generated combat fest. That's not what I play an RPG for, and anyone that does isn't looking to play an RPG at all as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Umberlin
  • Like 1

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

So.. let's assume Obsidian decides a big ass dungeon that isn't essential to the story, is actually spreading resources too thin.

Better to just polish up the main game to a higher degree. (Shockingly, this is actually my opinion.)

So if the question came down to:

1. No Mega Dungeon

2. Mega dungeon as a $2 DLC

That's not where we're at, not saying that. But if Ob decides no dungeon, what then?

Edited by Jarmo

If they decide not to and add it as DLC I'd be cool with that. Both of the big dungeons in the BG saga were add-ons.

Having said that, I think a lot of folks would like a mega-dungeon. But they could just as easily put a part of the dungeon in the core game then expand it in DLC (remember the mysterious door in Kuldahar in IWD?).

sonsofgygax.JPG

You know if you ask a "yes or no" question you really should supply a way to answer "no". Not 4 different options, 3 being "yes please" and 1 "I don't care but yes go ahead".

I hate mega dungeons with a passion and would have voted "no" if I could. Long, extended loot runs with tons of filler combat without much diaolgue/choices/story in between is simply not my idea of fun in RPGs.

Edited by BSoda
  • Like 1

On the fence about this, I thought that some of the best dungeons i've ever experienced were the vaults in New Vegas. Though small they each told a very strong (sometimes quite bloody harrowing) story and even though they were not particularly long, that sense of involvement made them very intensive. At the end i'd emerge with a "phew" of relief, just because it was good to be rid of the particular vibe undercutting them.

Too often during fantasy games i'll roll my eyes when the obligatory underdark entrance appears, to the point where i'm slowly beginning to develop racist/speciesist tendencies towards the non existent Drow, Illithid and such like. It's almost always a seemingly never ending slog through far too much combat and far too little content. That said i'm sure Obsidian could pull off an engrossing and immersive (you see what I did there?) subterannean complex if they put their minds to it, the Weeping Stones was very good.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Only bumping because this topic is being actively discussed in a parallel thread and perhaps some folks missed it.

Oops, did miss this. Should be merged (mod cleanup in aisle 3?) My preference. I liked Durlag's Tower implementation: interesting layered narrative but still optional.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)