Mega dungeon (didn't see anyone make it a poll and Obsidian said it'd be a good idea to do a poll...)

355 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like there to be some type of mega-dungeon in Eternity?

• Yes
    • Yes, as a stretch goal
    • Yes, as a separately funded expansion pack/DLC
    • Don't care for it at all.
  2. 2. Should the mega-dungeon be mandatory for story progression?

• Yes
    • Partially (meaning you might have to do something within the mega-dungeon, but you won't have to "excavate" the entire thing.)
    • No
  3. 3. How big should the mega-dungeon be?

• Infinite randomly generated levels
    • A massive static complex structure of some kind
    • Not extremely long, but not too short either.

Watcher's Keep and the Modron Cube were both great fun. Anything along those lines would be good. That said, this is a very good candidate for DLC rather than causing scope creep in the core game.

Well, I'd like it, at least, if it was planned from the beginning and not something just tacked on.

I will say here....

I do not want this as a DLC, that would kill it for me entirely. The dungeon would no longer be a part of the world, it would be the focus of a small expansion, and the entire reason I got the DLC would be for the dungeon.

I don't know why, but there is just something to randomly finding a dungeon in a world, that isn't the main focus of the world, and it ends up being on the best experienced.

For example, my friends and I found a cave in Guild Wars 2, it was a platform puzzle with a small story behind it. No headlines about it, it was actually fairly hard to find (And yes, we did not know of it before we found it). It was one of the best experienced we had in the game, simply that it was there, so awesome, and we found it on our own.

Both Durlag's Tower and Watcher's Keep were one of the most memorable experiences in BG games. I'm all in for such a dungeon in Project Eternity: a big, complex multi-leveled structure with tough fights, puzzles and a lot of backstory.

[intelligence] I'm fighting the Good Fight with my posts.

What I'd like to see would be for a region to have been devastated by war some centuries ago. And through time it got filled with criminals, undead and any other type of wild and demonic critter.

So you basically have a full region filled with ruins of a civilization whose knowledge is long gone... until someone risks his life scavenging it.

Some of these ruins are completely isolated, while others interconnect with several others through simple tunnels or underground areas (dungeons).

So you'll be able to explore some bits isolatedly, while others will be vast. And maybe on some of those the entrance crumbles and you'll have to find your way out.

Neat or what? :biggrin:

This would also allow for some connection to the main quest or some side quests.

I had much fun with the likes of Durlag's Tower or Watcher's Keep provided it does indeed have a backstory and puzzles and is well designed/varied, more than "kill hundreds of enemies" like in some ARPGs e.g. Torchlight/Diablo/Titan Quest where you just kill skeletons in big underground catacombs for the sake of it.

The faction thing where you maybe clear the first 2-3 levels and say dwarfs or whoever open up a base of operations there and give you quests and whatnot and may help you progress further down sounds like a good idea. No shame in making it gradually harder either so you can go do something else and return later during the game to conclude your skull-drilling expedition and fight towards the grand finale.

No, no and no.

Each dungeon/area in PE should fit to the story. There is no need for a specific "mega" dungeon if it doesn't fit to the rest of the game. Don't get me wrong, I do not dislike big dungeons, I only don't see the point why this should be a stretch goal. If Obsidian decides that one or more big dungeons fit well in the game they will create them in the first place.

It's good to have story and area expansions in the stretch goals, I really like the idea of getting a bigger game (if everything is well tuned). But Obsidian shall decide how that new areas should look like, whether they are vast or small.

35167v4.jpg

No, no and no.

Each dungeon/area in PE should fit to the story. There is no need for a specific "mega" dungeon if it doesn't fit to the rest of the game. Don't get me wrong, I do not dislike big dungeons, I only don't see the point why this should be a stretch goal. If Obsidian decides that one or more big dungeons fit well in the game they will create them in the first place.

It's good to have story and area expansions in the stretch goals, I really like the idea of getting a bigger game (if everything is well tuned). But Obsidian shall decide how that new areas should look like, whether they are vast or small.

Of course a mega-dungeon should 'fit the story.' But that doesn't mean that it needs to segue into the critical path.

Although my personal preference is that a small part of it does, revealing the possibility of exploring the rest of it (optionally) if the player is so inclined.

I am only positing a classic feature of BG1 & BG2, i.e. Durlag's and Watcher's Keep, which were wildly popular. And those in turn were inspired by old-skool dungeon modules that were at the heart of the hobby in the old days.

sonsofgygax.JPG

No, no and no.

Of course a mega-dungeon should 'fit the story.' But that doesn't mean that it needs to segue into the critical path.

Although my personal preference is that a small part of it does, revealing the possibility of exploring the rest of it (optionally) if the player is so inclined.

I am only positing a classic feature of BG1 & BG2, i.e. Durlag's and Watcher's Keep, which were wildly popular. And those in turn were inspired by old-skool dungeon modules that were at the heart of the hobby in the old days.

Yeah, but dungeon crawling in a CRPG is not half as interesting as in a turn-based table top game and that already held true for BG. ;)

35167v4.jpg

No, no and no.

Yeah, but dungeon crawling in a CRPG is not half as interesting as in a turn-based table top game and that already held true for BG. ;)

I disagree, dungeon crawling is good in any game I've played, as long as the dungeon itself is good.

just one thing, random dungeons = diablo = bad.

Random Dungeons in an ARPG game = awesome.

Random Dungeons in a game like this = bad.

I want something that is an ode to Durlag's Tower, Absolutely trapped out the wazoo, smart and frustrating encounter design (eg. Skeletons with elemental arrows + Sleeping Cloud traps ~_~), except with more exciting quests.

Edited by Sensuki

I will say here....

I do not want this as a DLC, that would kill it for me entirely. The dungeon would no longer be a part of the world, it would be the focus of a small expansion, and the entire reason I got the DLC would be for the dungeon.

I don't know why, but there is just something to randomly finding a dungeon in a world, that isn't the main focus of the world, and it ends up being on the best experienced.

For example, my friends and I found a cave in Guild Wars 2, it was a platform puzzle with a small story behind it. No headlines about it, it was actually fairly hard to find (And yes, we did not know of it before we found it). It was one of the best experienced we had in the game, simply that it was there, so awesome, and we found it on our own.

I agree, it's always better comign across soemthign awesome unaware- the epic feeling , rather than actually looking for it through a list of add-ons. i really hate dlc - but if it came out on a major expansion pack then that would be easier to swallow than no dungeon at all

No, no and no.

By goign with that logic you could say the current stretch goals should not be implemented - more companions- more races- more story- more items- player house, these are stretch goals that are added on, so why is it so different with a dungeon? Ofc it's easy for them to fit it in with the game, it's a fantasy games and just liek baldur's gate 1 & 2 they have dungeons.

I'd like a big dungeon. Maybe somewhat bigger than Durlag's Tower. Also I'd like it to be tied to the story, say, with it's first level(surface). And on that story related level, there'd be some scriptures that would hint at something that would lure into further exploring the dungeon. Or not scriptures, something like a dark tunnel with examination function could do the trick.

"As you close the dark tunnel, a distant scream echoes from its depths."

I'd fall for that. My point being, that the dungeon would have brief ties to the story(an item is within it for example) and that there'd be something on the "story level" that would give a motive to explore further.

Dude, I can see my own soul.....