BioWare Founders Retiring!

Merin

Hmmm, that wasn't quite what I was thinking with regard to puzzles. Though it is a good attention to detail for their setting which isn't a bad thing.

Though I think the key in the potted plant is maybe a bit of a stretch lol. I found it obvious :p

Of course, if you had high detection (or whatever it's called), it also sparkles :p

Sparkling stuff just doesn't belong in a vampire setting >_

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Do we really need another Dragon Age game?

Well we don't really *need* games in general I feel, so that's kind of a moot question. You definitely feel like you don't need anything Dragon Age though, as you've stated time and time and again. Personally, with all its flaws, I appreciate Origins and its expansion, and I feel like something potentially interesting could be done with the setting, so I take a wait and see approach.

If you felt burned by the second one I'd probably encourage you (and anyone else that felt that way) to wait and see. We aren't really interested in scrapping everything we tried in DA2 that was different, so it definitely won't be DAO, though we do recognize DA2 had its faults compared to DAO (some more obvious than others).

We're aiming to dial some things back to DAO style (while still trying some new things). Though where we actually land is actually hard to say since a lot of systems are just starting to come online and some of the stuff I'm really looking forward to (crafting!) I don't think actually exists in engine yet (that may have changed... I had the last week off for a holiday), so it was still mostly concepting and prototyping.

I had essentially three problems with DAII: 1) it cut a lot of stuff that I thought had potential of the original, like the Origins, and generally went into a more Mass Effect direction (not to say that you can't make a good RPG like that, but Origins was a promising sign because it looked like BioWare wasn't trying to standardize all of their games); 2) the combat felt hectic but not tactically interesting and none of my problems with DA:O's combat were solved (balance issues, poor encounter design, and a rather obscured/non-transparent ruleset); 3) the storyline, which pre-release seemed to be the most promising thing, was.. yeah.

What I will do is basically wait and see if any of these three has been improved on, try a demo if it eventually is released, and decide based on that.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I don't own DAII and my impressions are based on the demo, various Let's Plays of it I watched, and what I heard about the game from other people that own it. I guess I *could* listen to Nepenthe and try the full game, but to be honest, I'm fairly sure I'd feel like I wasted my money afterwards.

*cries*

You have no idea how disturbing I find your post with the edit.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

"I've recently replayed VTMB, I found myself thinking realistically about certain things and actually having to use my brain to solve puzzles. "

Thinking about what? There was very little thinking involved in VTMB.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"I've recently replayed VTMB, I found myself thinking realistically about certain things and actually having to use my brain to solve puzzles. "

Thinking about what? There was very little thinking involved in VTMB.

StopSign.jpg

That was a funny convo but what does that have to do with thinking?

I love V:BL. I love it in spite of the below average combat but it didn't require all that much thinking to compete. I never spent more than 2 seconds deciding what to do or say.

*cries*

You have no idea how disturbing I find your post with the edit.

Demos are made more or less to show the features of a title. Every single time I hear stuff like "but the demo doesn't showcase the game!" then I discover that it actually does. So, yeah, sorry, but I'm not going to spend money on Dragon Age II just to confirm that it's a bad game when I've played the demo, I've seen it played, both remotely via Let's Play and at a friend's place, I know the details of the storyline, etc.

So who leads BioWare now?

To be honest I missed the studio meeting where the announcement occurred (had a nasty fever and was out sick that day), so I actually don't know who is acting in Ray's place as the head of the BioWare label (which, for better or worse, includes more than the studio sections directly founded by Ray and Greg - Edmonton/Montreal and Austin). I'm not as familiar with the goings on in Austin, but Greg had made an announcement about how he needed to unwind and recharge probably in... March or so? At that point there was some chap that came in to fill in for him. Don't know his name.

As for the Edmonton/Montreal studio, Aaryn Flynn has been the General Manager of the studio for a few years now. You can find his game log history for BioWare here.

I never spent more than 2 seconds deciding what to do or say.

At least its more than you spend before posting here. :yes:

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 3

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

That was a funny convo but what does that have to do with thinking?

I love V:BL. I love it in spite of the below average combat but it didn't require all that much thinking to compete. I never spent more than 2 seconds deciding what to do or say.

I have to say I'd love more of that "unthinking" style of RPG gameplay - not in terms of being restricted to a narrow set of options, but in being able to, without being punished for it, pick options that are interesting or "sounded like a good idea at the time", and not worrying about whether it's a good, or optimal choice. Then just ride that wave to its natural conclusion. Yeah, I'd love that kind of game not in spite of that system, but because if it: that free-flowing, spontaneous, and open-ended style.

Just need someone to program an AI DM for me. :)

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

]Nightmare was a joke, especially with the wave mechanic. Also a lot of the combat moves didn't work properly. For example I would use, I think it was Mighty Blow, (which is just a jump and vertical swing down on the enemy) and it would hit my party members standing to the left and right of me. I don't think the game was ever meant to be played with friendly fire. And with the whole third person camera view it makes it a lot more difficult to see what's going on around you. IWD is just so much better than it.

I was talking about DA:O though, where nightmare was fun and the wave mechanic wasn't all present and you got to play with a detached camera that could zoom out pretty far. DA2 was just a grind.

I'd still say I like IWD better than either, but DA:O at least came close.

I don't know if I'd classify it as a full puzzle perse, but the Haunted House in that game is amaaaaazing.

I'll support this opinion to death, that one bit was more scary than to me than any horror game that I've played.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

The great and wonderful David Gaider, Chris Priestly, Jennifer Hepler and Casey Hudon lead the company now. They're in good hands....

LOL

Anyways, Bioware needs to die....like seriously. The way they are now, the fans against us attitude is only going to lead to self destruction. They left because of the disheartening news that the TOR and ME3 failed in different ways, but were ill received.

You could see it in the forums, the developers there despise their fans, Bioware's fans haven't been too nice to them and are rabid. But there's a good reason for that and it all started with Dragon Age Awakening (itself great compared to DA2).

Edited by NKKKK

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

Oh, please. The dcos didn't leave beacuse of whiny fans. That was alreayd outed as a flat out lie by one of the docs. The docs ahve beend ealing with bashing for nearly 2 decades - way back with BG1 even. not to forget the whininess over NWN, KOTOR, and every other game they've released.

TOR and ME3 did not fail. They both sold millions of copies. ME3 was/is on pace to outsell both earlier MEs. TOR is making money - not as much as EA foolishly expected considering what they spent on it - but it's no fialre. Even DA2 depsite selling less than DA1 has sold well consdiering it was much cheaper and quicker to produce. The reviews have been solid and better.

Crybabiness of internet losers isn't new. I seriosuly doubt they quit because of that kind of ridiculous. If it was 'lack of success' they would have left after JE which while it sold alright it is the first (and only) major BIo release since BG that hasn't sold 2mil+ quickly. Yet, they trudged on amazingly well. L0LZ

The great and wonderful David Gaider, Chris Priestly, Jennifer Hepler and Casey Hudon lead the company now. They're in good hands....

LOL

Anyways, Bioware needs to die....like seriously. The way they are now, the fans against us attitude is only going to lead to self destruction. They left because of the disheartening news that the TOR and ME3 failed in different ways, but were ill received.

You could see it in the forums, the developers there despise their fans, Bioware's fans haven't been too nice to them and are rabid. But there's a good reason for that and it all started with Dragon Age Awakening (itself great compared to DA2).

Le sigh.

Or is it just that you're still bitter for being banned despite a history of unproductive, passive aggressive posting where at one point you actually state straight up that you've been intentionally trolling the forums for some time while then having the absurdity to not understand why you were banned from the forums. You weren't banned for "Trolling" you were banned for trolling.

We're cracking down on people that have nothing of value to post. You had demonstrated that you were one of those posters. It had become evident you were not a fan and were more interested in leaving snide one line remarks as posts instead of actually engaging in discussion. Upon seeing your 4 year old reaction when joining this forum, it certainly seems like we were correct in our assessment.

If you wish to know who recommended your postings be reviewed, it was in fact me. So cheerio mate.

Edited by alanschu
  • Like 2

Speaking of the direction BioWare is going, I hope that thread on the BSN about Casey Hudson wanting to hear fans' opinions on the next Mass Effect game (paraphrasing -- can't remember the exact thread title) is only being left open as a fan service, and they're not actually going to listen to those suggestions.

MMO? RTS? Open world like Borderlands? Suggestions that the story is set as a prequel? People begging to keep Shepard as the main protagonist?

Just say no.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

If they hadn't killed off the Reapers already... Reaper vs. Galaxy the RTS (instead of whatsitsname C&C game that one of the studios is supposedly working on now). They got the franchise, might as well use it. It worked for Dawn of War the WH40K RTS.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein