The Old Guard Roll Call

Sammael

Remember when someone hacked the forum software and took over the admin account? And then got to wear a certain avatar for a while?

It was just HTML injection on the client-side. It was already patched by vBulletin, but BIS was running an old version of the forum. Anyway, that was... holy glob... like 12 years ago. So I was like... 12.

Edited by Krezack

Do you still have that avatar saved somewhere?

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

The most recent version of the lair is technically still up, but other than a "this place is dead" nothing has happened in months. Only a few people came back and joined, but not enough to sustain a community.

And dammit Humanoid and your member ID # crap! Sadly I stuck around Interplay for a few extra months before making the migration over here so I didn't get one of those really low numbers. :(

Yeah, I was one who missed the jump to the final version - there was a period of about a couple years where I was kind of off the map due to other commitments, (including the ludicrous idea of me co-leading and being chief administrator of a WoW raiding guild) and I kind of lost track and just found a 404 where the Lair used to be. Didn't find out the story until about a year ago at which point it was fairly obvious the critical mass had dispersed, so I just ended up settling here: until fairly recently I was averaging about 1 post a year here. :p

Ironic perhaps then that during the time, I ended up learning how to operate and administrate a forum of my own. Wonder if I might have ended up offering to run the new place if timing had been different. :cat:

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I first registered when I was playing Torment for the first time, and I bought that (I think) in January of 2000-- shortly after getting back to campus for the 2nd semester of my Junior year of college. Probably closer to a lurker than a habitual poster, though.

I only ever lurked the BIS boards. At that time my internet browsing was done mostly on my university's network so time was limited. Because we were playing LAN based Quake, instead.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I remember the Interplay threaded forums. Hated it because I hated threaded forums so never posted there.

I did join BIS once they got proper boards though. Dunno when. It was, you know, sometime ago.

And then there was that period where I was The Lady of Pain, but we don't talk much about that anymore. :)

Edit: Hi Missy! Long time no see, hope things are going well.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

is this where we is 'posed to boast/apologize 'bout how long we has been posting on interplay/bis/obsidian forums?

*chuckle*

well, whatever.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

is this where we is 'posed to boast/apologize 'bout how long we has been posting on interplay/bis/obsidian forums?

*chuckle*

well, whatever.

HA! Good Fun!

I thought this was just a nostalgia thread - we all know you and a few others got us beat for longevity. :)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

*chuckle*

well, whatever.

HA! Good Fun!

I'm just going to let Sargy answer this one ;)

• Like 1

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

*chuckle*

well, whatever.

HA! Good Fun!

I'm just going to let Sargy answer this one ;)

am recalling sargy Before he started with the bit o' too familiar affected speech posting.

*shrug*

have never been a fan o the suggestion that lots o' posts or posting for long time has some kinda special significance. 'leads to the kinda nonsense where some people gets labeled as "n00bs" and board regulars is thinking they got special status. hate that.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

As do I...

I stated off-hand that this not an elitist thread. I merely wanted to see who is still around, since I was away for a while. While the fact that we've been around a long time doesn't make us any better than the n00bs, we had the chance to follow (and participate in) the events that led to the creation of some damn fine games (and ToB... sigh...). This is a nostalgia thread, more than anything.

You've had that GBS quote in your sig for at least ten years, haven't you?

Edited by Sammael

...Klown, Klown, Klown...some things ne'er change...post elitist by knockin' elitists; WOW, ne'er saw that one comin'...an' fer the thousandth time, me postin' has ne'er had anythin' ta do wit' yer ambulance-chasin' arse, so please dunna hurt yerself pattin' yerself on yer furry ol' back; if'n anyone would really wanna take credit fer me henscratches, would be Josh; was a 2E vs 3E slapfest back in April '01 'tween me & the Teeny Goat that led ta me droppin' me real name an' goin' wit' a 1E Wemic character that I used ta play back in the day an' then jus' played wit' the slang a bit along the way...an' like Sammy already explained ta yer socially-inept hide, the damnable thread's jus' fer shyte's & giggles; a rememberance o' the fun we once had where we once called home...pity all yer "smarts" dunna equate inta the social world; I's seriously ne'er met such an intelligent village idiot...SPOILER ALERT - peoples that dunna like threads dunna post repeatedly in 'em...'numpty... :banghead:

...oh, an' good ta see some familiar faces; nice ta know ya can always come back fer a bit o' yesteryear... ;)

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

• Like 1

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

...Klown, Klown, Klown...some things ne'er change...post elitist by knockin' elitists; WOW, ne'er saw that one comin'...an' fer the thousandth time, me postin' has ne'er had anythin' ta do wit' yer ambulance-chasin' arse, so please dunna hurt yerself pattin' yerself on yer furry ol' back; if'n anyone would really wanna take credit fer me henscratches, would be Josh; was a 2E vs 3E slapfest back in April '01 'tween me & the Teeny Goat that led ta me droppin' me real name an' goin' wit' a 1E Wemic character that I used ta play back in the day an' then jus' played wit' the slang a bit along the way...an' like Sammy already explained ta yer socially-inept hide, the damnable thread's jus' fer shyte's & giggles; a rememberance o' the fun we once had where we once called home...pity all yer "smarts" dunna equate inta the social world; I's seriously ne'er met such an intelligent village idiot...SPOILER ALERT - peoples that dunna like threads dunna post repeatedly in 'em...'numpty... :banghead:

...oh, an' good ta see some familiar faces; nice ta know ya can always come back fer a bit o' yesteryear... ;)

the previous 999 explanations was just as pathetic. go from posting standardized americanized english to your current affectation, AND add a non-sig catchphrase to close every post?

okie dokie.

am guessing we should be flattered, but lack o' imagination should never be encouraged.

HA! Good Fun!

...yer sad, Klown; jus' sad...I'd say git off yer high horse, but in yer case it'd be more like my little pony...thems that knows me knows me fer who I is and thems that knows you knows ya fer what ya is, hoighty-toighty gibberish an' all...I'd go on, but I's at work and, well, ya ain't worth it... :banghead:

...that you, Missy??...if'n so, we's catchin' up ta be done, lass... :yes:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...drama.jpg