RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS!

Gorth

Please no >_

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'd vastly prefer a setting I know over a new one that desperately tries to be different, but fails.

Like Dragon Age's setting?

Besides, there are plenty of well thought out settings that aren't just about being different - but have actually taken the hobby farther than DnD ever could. Drop by RPG.net and see for yourself.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Awesome, BGII scene in 3D: http://kotaku.com/5942631/an-iconic-baldurs-gate-ii-scene-re+created-in-glorious-3d

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

I'd vastly prefer a setting I know over a new one that desperately tries to be different, but fails.

Like Dragon Age's setting?

Yes, one of the bad examples I'm thinking.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

6 hours till Black Mesa.

The server will probably be horrible overloaded. I hope they provide enough mirrors or torrent file.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I'd take the old established setting as a pragmatic decision, assuming the licencing costs aren't prohibitive, purely as an effort-saving measure. Perhaps exceptions can be made, say for example adapting the lead writer's homebrew tabletop setting, but for the most part I'd prefer to see development effort remain focused on the narrower micro perspective of whatever's relevant to the player.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Dragon Age wasn't even that different from is your run-of-the-mill fantasy setting.

It differs from standard Tolkien stuff about as much as any other derivative setting that's popped up over the decades does. Which mainly involves renaming the various monsters.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Dragon Age wasn't even that different from your run-of-the-mill fantasy setting..

Their attempts at being "dark" having failed so horribly, as to basically not being there at all. In fact, I think it's almost a case of "it's so bad, it's good" in the sense that something that'd come a bit closer at succeeding in "dark fantasy" would probably irritate me a lot more. Now it's just as cookie-cutter, but without the dimensionality that a rich heritage like FR brings.

I still think that a game that went back to the original post-apoc roots of Dragonlance would be awesome. Of course, I'm biased in the way that any DL game would be awesome. Guess I'm just channeling my inner gaming hipster, pining after a setting that was killed by its current owner :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Eh, I'm not really sure what dark fantasy is supposed to mean (something like Ravenloft? something like The Witcher that presents a rather pessimistic view on politics, gender relationships and human nature? something like Vampire: The Masquerade but in a fantasy fashion? uh..) but yeah, I'd agree that stuff like the overdone sex, blood, etc. hurt the game.

Yeah, except we can do without epic fantasy for a while. There's plenty of sci fi, whether it be hard sf or space fantasy, there's a whole bunch of horror p&p with WoD and Cthulu on top of that pile etc. etc.

The possibilities are endless if you look beyond sword and sorcery.

I agree, just that I find many of those alternatives more boring than epic fantasy.

I'm fine with people saying I want a nice sci-fi game or whatever, but let's not pretend it's any less common or generic. I'd take a good, well done D&D game over a Mass Effect any day (while others would say the opposite, which is fair).

I'd say, give us a good, well done rp computer game of pretty much any genre.. We tend to get the majority follows fantasy of some sort, then the few that fall into sci-fi..

Of course, we could count the ways.. Deus Ex had the minor rpg aspects in Techno-Thriller, Alpha Protocol gave us the modern day spy... Mass Effect blew in the Space Opera.. Vampire Bloodlines hit the Gothic/Urban Fantasy...

But if we're looking at the pen n paper rpg's, there's far too many varieties to ponder on for adaption.. I think in that format, sci-fi is as common as fantasy. Then followed by Gothic/Dark/Depressing supernatural based games...

Heh, what could be nice is a fun pulp action rpg for adaption..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

It'd be nice if we had a fantasy series that was genuinely different from the tolkien "Elves are awesome and nature lovers, Dwarves are awesome and miners, Humans are awesome and the most powerful of the "Good" races." I mean I understand that having elves dwarves goblins etc means that you can play with the concept of racism.... but it just gets old, and you can yutz with the racism JUST USING ONE SPECIES.

I donno... Maybe a setting like the one found in Black Company? (Oh shut up, it's my favorite book, and is significantly different from Tolkien... there is a GOD that's a TREE... and is warping the reality around it so there's flying wales, talking rocks that teleport, and all sorts of weird stuff going on.) Or something more along the lines of Clockwork tech.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

It'd be nice if we had a medieval-era RPG without any of the fantasy elements at all. I'm mildly curious to strip something already pretty bare like Darklands and do away with the supernatural element altogether. The closest comparison would be post-apocalyptic RPGs I guess, in that it would, aesthetics aside, share elements like sparse human civilisation, mundane mechanical gadgets, limited character accountability, etc.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Ok, Black Mesa changed their site, but it is overloaded, as to be expected. Apparently there is a Torrent file, but I couldn't get my hands on it... because the website hosting it is overloaded as well. Only Game Front works for me, but they don't have the main file for download...

/Edit: None of the mirror websites works now. All are overloaded, as to be expected.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

It'd be nice if we had a fantasy series that was genuinely different from the tolkien "Elves are awesome and nature lovers, Dwarves are awesome and miners, Humans are awesome and the most powerful of the "Good" races." I mean I understand that having elves dwarves goblins etc means that you can play with the concept of racism.... but it just gets old, and you can yutz with the racism JUST USING ONE SPECIES.

I donno... Maybe a setting like the one found in Black Company? (Oh shut up, it's my favorite book, and is significantly different from Tolkien... there is a GOD that's a TREE... and is warping the reality around it so there's flying wales, talking rocks that teleport, and all sorts of weird stuff going on.) Or something more along the lines of Clockwork tech.

Heh, did you ever read much about the Eberron setting that got made for DnD 3.5? The Orcs, Goblins, etc were the nature lovers and had previously had the classically inspired great civilised empire.. the elves were split between a "mongol horde" group and an "uber-fantasy version of egyptian style ancestor/death worship" (for the simplified explanation). Gnomes were information manipulators, spies, bankers and mercantile masters... That and dragons were not simple "big magic beasties to kill" but were more likely to be Magnificent Bastard manipulators wrapped in engimas, and hidden in the shadows pulling strings over centuries..

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

• Like 1