Movies you've seen recently

Tale

Are you trying to imply that stormtroopers can't hit the broadside of a bantha?

I think he means that they can't hit the broadside of a sandcrawler.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Has anyone been watching HBO's The Newsroom, with Jeff Daniels? It's not very good overall, but Jeff's character has that right amount of sarcasm that I tend to find really funny. So in spurts, the episodes will have some lol moments for me, when it focuses on his chr., but the drama stuff involving the other characters around him is kind of a snore, even if it's largely well-acted.

Edit: apparently the first few episodes were reviewed poorly...so they're hiring new writers for the 2nd season. Maybe that'll improve it. Altho, I kinda liked the most recent "Bullies" episode. Maybe they should focus more on Jeff all the time, make it less of an ensemble. :p

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Battleship.

Another blatant American propaganda recruiting movie. Prepping Americans psychologically for the inevitable Pacific war with China.

Well, at least it wasn't so bad as Battle LA. And the ETs didn't look like a bunch of Tschernobyl affected potato-heads, but more like Space Orcs with funny beards, so that's something...

3/10.

Has anyone been watching HBO's The Newsroom, with Jeff Daniels?

I tried. But it was turd-on-a-stick. The critics were spot on. The bleeding heart West Wing contagion, over-heavy exposition and characters I wanted to machine-gun really didn't help either. A shame really, as I like Jeff Daniels as an actor a hell of a lot.

If you are going to make a story about journalists must you *always* have worthy but headstrong anchor, eccentric world-weary editor, go-getting young thruster, ambitious correspondtrix and wet office girl? It's so cookie-cutter. Please go back and see Network to see how to do it properly.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Battleship.

Another blatant American propaganda recruiting movie. Prepping Americans psychologically for the inevitable Pacific war with China.

The Americans will win. Jeff Goldblum and Will Smith will sail their captured Chinese stealth sub into the flagship and upload a computer virus on a vintage, waterproof Mac Book Pro. The PLA fleet will sink. Jeff and Will will swagger across Tianenmen Square, smoking Very Big Cigars.

sonsofgygax.JPG

The sad thing about that is that it started out pretty good, then the dialouge got increasingly cheesy to the point where it started hurting the movie. The death blow was the retired crew of some famous pacific theater battleship showing up out of nowhere to the beat aliens with their low tech oldtimer knowhow.

If I spoiled you i did you a massive favor.

Edited by Gorgon
  • Like 2

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

The sad thing about that is that it started out pretty good, then the dialouge got increasingly cheesy to the point where it started hurting the movie. The death blow was the retired crew of some famous pacific theater battleship showing up out of nowhere to the beat aliens with their low tech oldtimer knowhow.

To be fair, the Battleship Missouri does exist there in Hawaii as a floating museum kept in sailing condition. And it's one of the points that the people who look after it all have to be retired Navy personnel. So that wasn't totally out there. (Even if it was totally cheese-tastic, especially with that rousing musical score at that point).

The bit that amuses me is the excuse they use to actually do the "battleship shots" sequence with the playing grid..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

No seriously, thank you. It saves me even drunkenly watching it on satellite TV.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Heh, Battleship is another of those "I know it'll be terrible" films that I yet would be tempted to see just for the lol's, like Soldiers of Fortune. At least when it's cheap and on cable.

Captain America

Couldnt even finish it. Somewhere after the halfway point I just turned it off.

I finished it, but it was definitely the least of the recent spate of comic hero movies. Didn't think it was terrible, but I did find it rather snooze-inducing for most of its length.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The Hunger Games.

Better than expected, but you know what really bothered me about that movie? They all watch you in realtime, having cams secretly installed everywhere in the trees.

But back to my question: What if you have to take a sh....I mean, relieve yourself for a minute? Are they all watching and commenting that, too? I will think about that for at least a week now.

The Americans will win. Jeff Goldblum and Will Smith will sail their captured Chinese stealth sub into the flagship and upload a computer virus on a vintage, waterproof Mac Book Pro. The PLA fleet will sink. Jeff and Will will swagger across Tianenmen Square, smoking Very Big Cigars.

No no, that's not how it transpired.

Allow me to explain the entire movie in these four pictures:

155pitu.jpg

• Like 1

The Hunger Games.

Better than expected, but you know what really bothered me about that movie? They all watch you in realtime, having cams secretly installed everywhere in the trees.

But back to my question: What if you have to take a sh....I mean, relieve yourself for a minute? Are they all watching and commenting that, too? I will think about that for at least a week now.

They did rather conveniently avoid having the heroine kill a 12 year old girl. Now that would have been a real moral dilemma, rather than the imagined ones they stuck to.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

Dark Knight Rises. Some serious plotting issues, but I still really enjoyed it, and Tom Hardy was awesome.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

They did rather conveniently avoid having the heroine kill a 12 year old girl. Now that would have been a real moral dilemma, rather than the imagined ones they stuck to.

And this is exactly why the film turned out to be so shallow - it didn't dare to adress what it wanted to adress on a deeper level.

Well they were following the book there, but the book series wasn't particularly deep either.

I watched all three Lord of the Rings this weekend. I think it's still my favorite film series, even if it isn't the best book-to-movie adaption (although it's good enough). I'm anxious to see how The Hobbit turns out, how they are spreading a single book over 3 movies I have no idea but I guess there is money to be made.

They are writing in stuff from the appendix. Maybe stuff about Gandalf and Aragorns first encounter with Gollum, that would be cool, and whatshisname, the man bear pig from he hobbit. I wonder how much they are going to make of him. I mean they did write out Tom Bombadil.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

The thing about flying long haul is, you have little better to do than watch a bunch of stuff on the entertainment system that you would normally not watch.

Wrath of the Titans - Jeebus, that was bad. Somebody must have taken lessons from Uwe Boll.

Avatar - Meh, I guess I wouldn't have walked out of a cinema, but I regret not picking another movie from the selection.

John Carter - Surprisingly fun movie. Yes, Dejah Thoris wears way too much clothes, but a decent movie none the less. Loved the sequence where he ends up in the nursery, powdered and bottle fed.

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen - Not normally something I would have looked twice at, but surprisingly entertaining. Thumbs up.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

John Carter - Surprisingly fun movie. Yes, Dejah Thoris wears way too much clothes, but a decent movie none the less. Loved the sequence where he ends up in the nursery, powdered and bottle fed.

Part of the fun of that movie was seeing Ceasar and Marc Antony having a blast together again. You almost got a sense they were having a laugh even whilst being serious.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Caught the trailer for a Red Dawn remake.

The movie looks like a fun little action flick, and I really did enjoy the original. But I do kind of wonder what the message is here. We aren't in a Cold War anymore. The bad guys look Chinese, but given that China is the US's biggest trading partner, that seems like an awkward choice. I don't know, I guess I should just realize it is a silly movie and not a political statement :p

Maybe some comment on Iraq, somehow ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra