Obsidian currently working on next-gen console title

funcroc

from Robert Nestler's resume, which was recently updated

April 2012 - currently | Art Director | Obsidian Entertainment, Irvine, CA

Unannounced Next-Gen Console title

Tools: 3dsMax, Maya, Photoshop, Flash, Illustrator, Z-Brush, Painter, Perforce, Vegas.

So, according to recent events and other linkedin profiles: Can we assume this is still in Pre-Production or at least very early in the development cycle?

I don't think it automatically means they've signed a project. Might just be a project they are going to pitch for publishers. Or did I miss something?

Not for sure, but the wording makes it sound like that to me, I see no reason why he should mention that they're working on a next-gen title otherwise.

I don't think it automatically means they've signed a project. Might just be a project they are going to pitch for publishers. Or did I miss something?

Considering the keywords next-gen, unannounced and console this sounds more than a pitch/too specific for a pitch.

Ofc, no way of knowing. Following months will bring clarity.

Edited by C2B

• 2 weeks later...

So, we dodge falling progenitor spaceships ? :p

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So, we dodge falling progenitor spaceships ? :p

Well. We all know that games based directly on movies suck. Seeing the interest of the big money in backing the Prometheus franchise I consider it very likely we will see a game based on that IP not too soon. I think we can rule out action FPS or strategy game.

Personally, I would love to see a new FPRPG/Adventure game with stealth and horror elements, combining aspects of Thief, Penumbra, Deus Ex and especially System Shock. That would be a perfect prototype for a Prometheus game. I think FP is absolutely neccesary for the "horror" aspect.

Obsidian's cancelled Alien RPG might speak in their favour here - although if I recall correctly that was more inspired by "Aliens" :/

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"