What you did today

Tale

Didn't manage to get to sleep till some time past 4am.

Then got half woken up by a pseudo-work related call at just around 9am and had to develop a clear head and jot down notes.

Kind of pushing along with limited energy at the moment...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

They say the sound was recorded in the Metro, but who knows.

That's definitely dubbed. Too clean. Splicing bits of close up video to match certain runs in the song and such (don't always quite match either).

They probably played somewhere else in the Metro to record a "good" version w/high end mics - "recorded in Metro" doesn't have to mean on the train during actual "flash mob" bit. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Ah yes, cops. The mafia with badges and nice uniforms.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The point isn't ever whether cops abuse tehir power. It's what happens when they do that matters, as Gfted1 says.

I'm awake at 1 am because I just found out - after a couple of months of not using it - that Napster has been bought out by Rhapsody. Something like 2/3rds of tracks I BOUGHT AND PAID FOR HAVE MYSTERIOUSLY UNPAID FOR THEMSELVES.

Makes me so goddamn angry. It really isn't beyond the wit of man to run a simple service properly. How come so many businesses seem to struggle. Me? I blame Dave in Marketing.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Sorry to derail a good bit of ill-informed America bashing but I'll be directing the flow of conversation back to the more mundane bits of everyday life.

I finally got the house cleaned up and back in order. Since January I've only been here for six weeks this year. I am beat. I am happy to hear about the break up of La Nina. That will probably mean less rain and a lower chance of flooding. Baseball season is back and the Rays are playing great. Speaking of which I got to go to a few LMB games while working in Nuevo Laredo last month. Those folks are nuts about the game.

I just lit the grill and I've got cuts of venison shish-ka-bob with peppers, onion, squash and red potato cuts along with a fine bourbon on ice. The dogs are happy to be home, I'm happy to be home, life is good!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I am happy to hear about the break up of La Nina. That will probably mean less rain and a lower chance of flooding.

Amen to that!...

"Sunshine State" my butt :rolleyes:

My motorcycle has gathered dust in the garage for waaay too long this "summer".

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

IT had the brilliant idea of setting up our "official" pictures to show up in internal e-mails. Most of the younger ladies are glammed up to the point where I can't make a connection with the everyday version I normally encounter. Absurd. And I look like **** in my pic.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

We have those "passport" photos on our intranet page, but not in our emails. Even with several hundred colleagues, you mostly deal with 50 or less on a regular basis and of those you'll have met most of of them face to face regularly.

The joys of international communication... having fun getting systems to talk between continents. Why can't people just settle for a simple universal alphabet??? :getlost:

Spanish, Russian, Eastern European... they all have their own custom built letters with funny little accents all over the place. Don't get me started on Scandinavians who just adds letters to an otherwise perfectly good Latin character set. Some Socialdemocrat probably planned to introduce a letter tax at some time. Trying to avoid UTF-16 because of the overhead and finding an ISO set that fits as a lowest common denominator.

The Latin alphabet has too many letters. Honestly, what's the point with 'Z'? Even worse with 'C' who is completely redundant and it's job could be taken over by 'S' and 'K'. Heck, if some nutcase decides to start a partition to save 'Z', we could drop 'S' and do a promotional tour for 'Z' to take it's place instead.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

:lol: Like a bad drivers license photo that gets seen by people daily.

In my case, yes. But I'd consider working for free if I actually worked with the girls in the pictures. :p

The next step is that the pics are going to our web page. I think that's a good thing; at the moment, I get a lot of "random enquiries" because I'm the first non-secretary in the alphabetic listing. If they'll be seeing a doofus version of me within a bunch of glamazons, I think it's safe to assume that they'll send their enquiries to them. Or they are chauvinist pigs and will consider an ugly fat guy more reliable than a young cutie.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Playing Wolfenstein 3D on my lunch break, coworkers across from me have no idea what this game is. Sure is running like a hog on my work PC, but I guess that's just due to Java/Flash.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Playing Wolfenstein 3D on my lunch break, coworkers across from me have no idea what this game is. Sure is running like a hog on my work PC, but I guess that's just due to Java/Flash.

The browser-free version bethsoft has up? I almost started to play it but...maybe later. Brings back memories tho. I liked Doom better since it was more refined but W3D is definitely a classic too (I played it after Doom).

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

We have those "passport" photos on our intranet page, but not in our emails. Even with several hundred colleagues, you mostly deal with 50 or less on a regular basis and of those you'll have met most of of them face to face regularly.

The joys of international communication... having fun getting systems to talk between continents. Why can't people just settle for a simple universal alphabet??? :getlost:

Spanish, Russian, Eastern European... they all have their own custom built letters with funny little accents all over the place. Don't get me started on Scandinavians who just adds letters to an otherwise perfectly good Latin character set. Some Socialdemocrat probably planned to introduce a letter tax at some time. Trying to avoid UTF-16 because of the overhead and finding an ISO set that fits as a lowest common denominator.

The Latin alphabet has too many letters. Honestly, what's the point with 'Z'? Even worse with 'C' who is completely redundant and it's job could be taken over by 'S' and 'K'. Heck, if some nutcase decides to start a partition to save 'Z', we could drop 'S' and do a promotional tour for 'Z' to take it's place instead.

Om du klagar p

Om du klagar p

Sometimes I wish GoG wouldn't split up large game downloads. Or at least give an option to DL one big file for those of us who can.

Today I sweated in the backyard clearing out some junk. As they say ... "...my back..."

Errands, then watching Red Sox lose again. Because you know they'll find a way.

Sometimes I wish GoG wouldn't split up large game downloads. Or at least give an option to DL one big file for those of us who can.

Today I sweated in the backyard clearing out some junk. As they say ... "...my back..."

Errands, then watching Red Sox lose again. Because you know they'll find a way.

Don't you use their download manager? Just queue up stuff, leave your PC for a while and then come back when it's done downloading, doing CRC checks etc.

Fell asleep on train home last night. Luckily the train staff were all really nice, and I was allowed to hop on all sorts of stuff to finally return home in the wee small hours.

Also, as much as I like work drinks, why are they always on a Friday? All I want to do on Friday is go home and rest.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Don't you use their download manager? Just queue up stuff, leave your PC for a while and then come back when it's done downloading, doing CRC checks etc.

Nope, cause I'm unreasonable that way. ;)

I just start all the downloads (FF lets you pause/restart them if they get stuck) at once. But that means each file's DL speed slows down quite a bit since (FF? our router?) seems to count each one as a new bandwidth strain, vs 1 big file that goes at the same speed the whole time. No big deal really, I just prefer one big file.

Slept too much today. Allergies and all that. One day I'm going to go insane and take a chainsaw to all the maple trees on the street and be tossed in jail for it.

Nope, cause I'm unreasonable that way. ;)

:p

I can still recommend it though. It doesn't need anything installed, you just click on the exe file to start it and then tell GoG that you want to use it for downloading. I especially like the crc check (repair) if something went wrong in one of the chunks. I've had bad experiences in the past with FF download manager.