Diablo 3 Sign-Up

A few more thoughts:

I like the crafting system, a lot. Harvesting unwanted magic items into essences is fun. Usually I find crafting a bit of a chore, but upgrading craftsmen and making it more of a trading minigame is cool.

You need to get up to level 10 or so before there is enough tactical flexibility to really enjoy combat - the barbarian now has the ability to leap into combat, make some interesting multi-opponent strikes then use a sort of spirit hammer to finish the mobs off. Leaping into mobs made up of elite enemies and bosses is great.

The dynamic environment will be more fun at higher difficulties, luring mobs into areas where you can collapse a wall or drop a chandelier on them for example, or possibly for non-melee characters it's already useful.

There's more to this game than meets the eye, lots of polished little details you find as you go along.

sonsofgygax.JPG

So far I've played through it with the Monk, Wizard and the Witch Doctor. The Monk was a total cakewalk, seems much more powerful than the other two. The Wizard was boring, but the Witch Doctor was a lot of fun and he had a lot of character, as well as great skills. I find just throwing spiders everywhere takes care of just about anything.

Monty, friend me, and let us tunnel the fighting!

Yeah, I enjoyed melee sorcs and other creative things you could do (not to mention the teleport/barbjump spamming the maps). Sounds like I should try the Witch Doctor next.

Added you MC. Will be around for the next hour or two.

Tigs good to play, if I was being lame I blame it on my son - we were fighting for control of the mouse!

I left when I got a godawful crash that shut down my 'puter!!!

sonsofgygax.JPG

By the way, I'm not sure the game auto-levels - playing a level 10 character with a level 6 felt very, very easy.

And, to be fair to Blizzard, I'm getting onto the game very easily - server issue seems better.

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

It was all good MC, it definitely is more fun with two people. You could probably have taken on those mobs by yourself, with the level difference.

Witch Doctor was a bit boring, but I remain convinced about my pet peeve - sometimes, with the exact same game mechanics, if you have more enemies that have more HP and punch harder, it makes all the difference in the world. In D3's case I'd argue 20% more enemies itself would do the trick - that, and greater variation in miniboss attributes. What happened to elemental-based bosses? The quilt rat(?) lightning miniboss or the hard-hitting cold-based zombie miniboss, or, god forbid, the cold-based raven archer miniboss made all the difference in D2's Act 1. You want to be running around frantically fighting against enemies that can kill you if you go toe-to-toe or let your guard down. In D3, I can just stand there and spam attacks.

With two players, sometimes I had that experience of having to outrun enemies to try and get at health orbs, or having to combine, say, frost nova and arcane orb - then it gets a lot more fun. I think at higher levels, with more players (ideally, 4 at least), with higher difficulty, it could be very fun despite the various features they've stripped out.

edit: I'll be on again in 4-5 hours I think, so people, let's play.

Demon Hunter was kinda meh, just standing there shooting things. Overall, was sort of fun to play, but I doubt it's worth enough for a buy. Will have to try some MP tonight.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

witch doctor was the class i wanted to try most, and ended up being the class i liked the most as well, so thats good

my number 2 pick was the demon hunter, and she was a bit meh. standing around and shooting got a little stale, but maybe when higher level abilities unlock she will be more fun

barbarian was fun and satisfying to use

monk was better than i expected, but not great, maybe better after more fun abilities unlock?

i didnt play the wizard, and i never will.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I was surprised at the class roster TBH, where was stuff like the paladin, druid and assassin?

As others have said, it'll be in an XP / DLC I suppose. The monk / witch doctor and wizard leave me cold.

sonsofgygax.JPG

? You haven't been on this planet in the last few years? They're not bringing any of the old classes back, Barb was the exception since he was something else first, but they all started calling him barbarian.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Question before I ramble on: In my Profile I see my "battletag" and my real name (hate that...). I assume others can only see my battletag and not my real name? I see no setting that assures me this is so, like "don't let ppl see name" and I don't know how/what the realID stuff does these days.

Rambling: Tried the Monk. Even more powerful/easier than the Wizard. Enough that I killed Skelie King a few times for LOL's. I thought she was a lot more fun to play in that powering-gaming w/out having to actually power-game kick-butt way. Plus her skills were noisy and visually entertaining, unlike Wizzie. For those that don't like that, I'm sure Blizz will quickly over-nerf the Monk to the point of useless. This is Blizzard, after all, and they like to change their game constantly and over-reactively with patches. :p I do miss mobs like the zillion Fallen in Act1 of D2, for entertainment. I guess some of the Events sort of do that but meh. And yes I'm sure in MP it's a bit tougher so it'll be more challenge/fun enemy wise, but Blizzard has always been terrible with balancing classes and difficulty.

Started a Demon-Hunter. She's a bit tougher but still kinda dull, like the Wizzie. I usually like ranged classes vs. melee but opposite this time.

Love the treasure hunter enemy imp things. Hilarious. The new hirelings seem more useful. Also, with Wizzie, I entered a few side areas (cellars and a cavern) and they were tiny, one or several room affairs. With the Monk, I entered a side area and it was pretty big. Emptyish, but big. I don't know if I missed it with the Wizzie or if it's part of their random generation placement, but the total difference was weird.

....one big GUI complaint I have is the constant giant event popup messages. I don't mean tutorials, I turned those off. They show up in the middle of the screen blocking view and are huge icons. Plus they can stack on top of each other making it even worse. In the screenie, the "massacre" msg is blocked behind the other ones. It's too much. :p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Question before I ramble on: In my Profile I see my "battletag" and my real name (hate that...). I assume others can only see my battletag and not my real name? I see no setting that assures me this is so, like "don't let ppl see name" and I don't know how/what the realID stuff does these days

After the big news story about Blizzard employees having all their personal details put online I can't believe they're still doing that. Thanks for the heads up.

After the big news story about Blizzard employees having all their personal details put online I can't believe they're still doing that. Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah....I read the stuff about the battletag, which sounded like the tag would be used to ID you to other players and thought that was fine. Then when I saw my real name in the Profile I was highly annoyed - there should be no reason to see/list my real name in-game only for my "benefit" (I know who I am already) if no one's going to be able to see it anyway, right? So...I haven't entered a MP game because of it. I've asked this question in a few places and no one has answered yet. Maybe no one knows for sure or they all think I'm stupid for asking and won't respond. :lol:

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

people on my friends list showed their real names, but they are all people i know in real life and i have their email addresses entered which might be why it shows their name?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.