Diablo 3 Sign-Up

I think the stress test has proved that if you open up a free play Beta of one of the most hotly-anticipated games ever then you get "latency and connection issues" although I could have told them that from my armchair TBH :facepalm:

sonsofgygax.JPG

Majek was that Euro or Ami servers?

EU servers will actually not be up. American is the only choice. You'll get the 3003 error on Euro servers. Everyone I know who got in, plays on American servers for now.

Yeah Ami servers only. I still get Time out errors while tryng to start new games with new characters but other than that it works fine. I'm in no mood for public games though. I'll enjoy it myself for now.

SadExchange meh, i'll get bored eventually. :D

1.13 killed off Ja2.

I had error 12 here. The limiting of the numbers on the servers simply means they didn't buy enough computers and are having to rush out and buy more as we speak and make servers out of them because they were ill prepared. Even if they handle the beta crowds, this bodes badly for release day. If they don't have enough servers for a beta within an hour, they'll be in bigger trouble with the full on release. Probably because they made it so everything HAS to be server side...

Error 12 is more understandable though. That's an actual type of bug that they should be looking for and will directly relate to some problems that could have propped up with the full release of D3.

One is just bad planning on their part and really has nothing to do with a beta other than they didn't even anticipate the demand of an open beta much less a full release.

The other, error 12 falls more in line with what a beta would be for.

We'll see if they get enough server computers up before the weekend is up or not, and the error 12's hopefuly they find a quicker way of authentication of new accounts or battletags

I've been trying on and off for three hours - error 37 all the way.

I suspect folks who get logged on will stay logged on. But yeah, release day will be horrible. And the whole online SP deal they've lumbered themselves with won't help either.

But not anticipating the interest in this? Come on, it's Diablo 3 FFS.

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

Bliz is usually pretty good about that stuff, wonder what happened.

So it's not always working for everyone yet? Guess I'll do a bit more work.

Blizz launches are notorious for these things. They fix 'em pretty fast, though.

Anyway, managed to get in and played through it....

It was a bit of a disappointment, actually. And I didn't have high hopes to begin with, so there was plenty of oppertunity to exceed my expectations. :( What bothered me the most was that the experience didn't seem polished at all - after StarCraft II's awesome in-engine cinematics, dumb as they may have been when you get down to the meat of it, the storytelling in this was an enormous step back and the voice acting was simply atrocious. Another big snag is that this is the normal mode, not the easiest mode, yet as someone who admits to having been terrible at Diablo I found this a cakewalk already. Not a good sign. :(

It also didn't really feel like Diablo at all. It reminded me of a game named "Silver" that I played years ago more than Diablo. And what is with the latest Blizzard games starting out with reenactments of the previous ones? I've already hunted down King Leoric, just like I already defended Mar Sara from a Zerg invasion. Why take a step back instead of continuing where you left off?

Edited by TrueNeutral

Played throught the beta and I kept thinking to myself that they should have allowed higher difficulties. I'm not great at these kind of games despite having a lot of fun with them, but this felt easy. I guess they can change the balance, so I'll not pass judgement yet. I didn't die once, and I didn't use many skills. I tried them all out, but mostly I just used the two first attacks you are given at the start of the game. The runes were helpful, I guess. I played as a monk, btw. I don't know if difficulty gets tougher if you play in co-op, but I guess it is. Played alone and I kept wishing that I was playing with somebody. Maybe I'll play through it tomorrow as another class if someone is interested.

I've been playing for the past 5 hours, and I have to say I'm even less impressed than I thought I was going to be. I thought D3 wasn't going to really be for me, but I'm torn. It has some interesting innovations, problem is that I'm actually bored with the game, and that's only with the Demo. I was trying to figure out why, and decided it must be because it's like the many Diablo clones that have come out. They can have some innovations but ultimately except for a few, they are all boring. I had a LOT more fun with Dungeon siege 3, and even that game wasn't the top of my praise list. I think it might be worth a 20 dollar game or a cheap 5 dollar game sale on steam...if it ever was released that way. Don't think it's worth the full price for me though that it's going to be selling for. However, I'll continue with the Beta to at least give Blizzard it's stress test.

Some diablo clones are actually almost if not as good as Diablo 2 itself or at least rank up there (Dungeon Siege 2 was great, Torchlight has been okay, at least as nice as the original diablo without multiplayer...champions of Norrath on the console, the Xmen Legends series and Marvel ultimate alliance...and...that's actually about it for the good diablo clones). Sadly Diablo 3 doesn't feel like a good Diablo or Diablo 2 clone, it feels more like the Heart of Darkness, Zak, Fantastic Four rise of the Silver surfer type clone, which may have some innovations, but ultimately are boring and don't really give you that fun feeling.

As I said, I'll give the server it's stress test, as long as I can stand the boredom. I know 5 hours isn't a fair shot yet...so I'll give it the weekend, but my enthusiasm isn't all that great right now.

Played a Barbarian and Wizard thus far...probably will try the Demon Hunter next.

Edited by greylord

Well that was a bust. Installer crashed for some reason after downloading 80%, then got stuck behind this 'Updating Setup Files..' bug with the Agent. Ah well, 15th isn't so far off :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Oh, all right...since it's a stress beta for free and I still have a bnet account from when I played WoW (not touched for 2 years, heh). At least I can judge those early levels for myself.

...it's doing the Updating setup files routine now. And yeah, I heard a lot of ppl were having problems getting on for a while. It's a stress test for a wildly anticipated title. Tho it does make you wonder if release size/number of servers will be up to the task. I remember when D2 was released...couldn't get on half the time for ages felt like. ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts