RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

Nope, I don't.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Morgoth liking things? I need a screenshot.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I kid because I care, Morgoth.

Its only old because its well established.

:biggrin:

• Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Almost no elitism here

*snicker* :wowey:

I kid, I kid...

I would probably like FPS if

• I wasn't old and my reaction time wasn't crap
  • most games move so fast as to give me motion sickness

I used to love Japanese Role-Playing Games but a lot of the recent ones haven't had the charms of the older games (also a lot of them got kinda over complex for me). I also have to confess as I get older I've grown to prefer creating my own characters which isn't something most JRPGs do. That said I still have a soft spot for the MegaTen games...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The new patch for Witcher 2 can be pre-loaded now with this tool. Had to reinstall and upgrade my normal version again right now, because it got ****ed up with my last windows installation.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I like games from almost every genre, I like this board because the ratio of smarts to stupids is a gooder one than most of the internet. also, fallout new vegas.

I loved jrpg's, back when great ones were coming out, but i think the last great jrpg was final fantasy 9, and that was a long time ago. since then there have been many serviceable ones, but no greats, unfortunately.

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Almost no elitism here

*snicker* :wowey:

I kid, I kid...

I would probably like FPS if

• I wasn't old and my reaction time wasn't crap
  • most games move so fast as to give me motion sickness

I used to love Japanese Role-Playing Games but a lot of the recent ones haven't had the charms of the older games (also a lot of them got kinda over complex for me). I also have to confess as I get older I've grown to prefer creating my own characters which isn't something most JRPGs do. That said I still have a soft spot for the MegaTen games...

That reminds me, I've wanted to ask this for a long time now, but didn't know where or who to ask.

I've never played any JRPGs. I did play Septerra Core back in the days and loved it, although I'm not even sure it qualifies. Does it?

In any case, JRPGs recommendations would be welcome. What are the eastern equivalents of Fallout, Planescape and BGs?

Edited by Delfosse

JRPG classics?

Final Fantasy V, VI, VII, IX. Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross. Legend of Dragoon. Xenogears (very flawed game, so can't recommend it as a starter). Final Fantasy Tactics. I hear good things about Earthbound/Mother, but never played it.

More recent, Lost Odyssey was pretty darn good. Xenosaga was in the PS2 era. On the PC, The Last Remnant isn't a brilliant game, but it's enjoyable.

JRPG classics?

Final Fantasy V, VI, VII, IX. Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross. Legend of Dragoon. Xenogears (very flawed game, so can't recommend it as a starter). Final Fantasy Tactics. I hear good things about Earthbound/Mother, but never played it.

Talk about flawed.

@Delfosse As you can see, most people have very different opinions on what are the best jrpgs. I'd recommend to try out those that are most recommended. Beginning with Chrono Trigger is always a good idea as it is one of the few universally recommended ones.

Ooh, and Dark Souls just had a PC edition announced. That's an RPG from Japan, but it doesn't meet too many JRPG tropes.

In any case, JRPGs recommendations would be welcome. What are the eastern equivalents of Fallout, Planescape and BGs?

Final Fantasy: 6,7,8,9

chrono trigger

that's basically the "black isle age" of jrpg's

i would recommend playing them in the following order: FF6, Chrono Trigger, FF 7, FF8, FF9

after you play those, then go ahead and try other classics, play mother/earthbound, xenogears, chrono cross, persona 2, (vagrant story, its not a traditional jrpg but its soooo good)

then try some more modern ones: persona 3 and 4, shadow hearts, dragon quest 8

as far as i know, there are no great jrpg's on ps3 or xbox 360, but Valkyria Chronicles shares some similarities to traditional jrpg's, and is really good

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

im so excited for dark souls pc edition. possibility of mods+ new bosses and slightly better graphics/smoother gameplay = omg im so excited!!!

dark souls!

I actually like, or want to like, FPSes. I liked the original Unreal Tournament and I spent many an hour playing Halo multiplayer with my friends, even though I didn't think the mechanics were particularly brilliant. I was pretty bored by HL2, though, and Call of Duty / Battlefield especially. I just think efforts to make FPSes 'cinematic' or 'cool' are even more annoying than in other games because they're 'integrated' into the action, and I also keep wanting for more variety of things to do and use than 2 guns + grenades.

What I'd really like is a proper fantasy first-person action game - TES' actual combat mechanics are terrible, the Witcher is rather different, Dark Messiah gets closer.

Bulletstorm, Arkham Asylum and Arkham City are also on GfwL, so it's hardly a big deal.

Needing to put up with Origin just for Mass Effect 3 is much worse.

Not sure about Dark Souls, though, I already played Die by the Sword and Severance: Blade of darkness to death and am now too old for all this twitchy action crap. At least the Batman games kindly told me when to press the button of awesome.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

pretty sure fallout 3 had GFWL too, im still not sure what GFWL does, it doesn't seem to be nearly as obtrusive as origin is

And all MP games on GFWL are dead within a month, if i exaggerate a little.

Edit: They just went the easy way with the netcode, since the can just use the Xbox version. That shows how good of a port can you expect.

Edited by Majek

1.13 killed off Ja2.

I actually don't get the appeal of Dark Souls to be honest. I mean it has its moments, but I suck at being patient in games I guess. :)

I suppose I should get back to it; I only touched the surface.

Looking over some of the other JRPG recommendations, I also didn't think Valkryia Chronicles was that good or well any Dragon Quest game.

I did really like Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger. And Xenogears and Chrono Cross and Vagrant Story. I also liked Breath of Fire 1 & 2 (but 2 has one of the worst translations I've ever seen in a JRPG). And Valkyrie Profile and Final Fantasy Tactics. And Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together.

I liked Persona 1 & 2 at the time they came out, but I don't think their battle system has aged very well having played the recent PSP editions; I think I vastly prefer the battle system of Personal 3 & 4. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne and the two Raidou Kuzunoha Devil Summoner games I enjoyed as well.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I have no idea how people can call Valkyria Chronicles a JRPG. It's just a turn based strategy game.

I was bored to tears by Shin Megami Tensei games and ended up quitting each and every one of them. JRPG's are such a dated gameplay design its a wonder japan hasn't become bored of them. In western RPGs things at least shift around, even if its not always for the better.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.