SW: The Old Republic Part 3

Little costly to play such, no?

At least that would be my concern...

Yes, he should spend the money on cheap games in steam sales and never play them.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Little costly to play such, no?

At least that would be my concern...

If I'm getting an hours worth of gameplay for every pound I spend on it.. That works out fairly well compared to renting dvd's, going to the cinema, buying a round of drinks for friends at the pub.... ;) And I'd say I'm getting a few multiple hours of play for every pound spent...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Makes sense why I never saw anyone around, then.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hm, there are times I get some heavy game play in.. especially around weekends on occasion. The first month-two months I was focused Imperial side with my first character, then the last two months I've been more focused on the Republic side.

I'm more concerned that it kinda looks like that horrible clone wars animated thing, cartoony dimentions etc. Bit picky like that.

I can see that. There are definitely some things that make me think of the Clone Wars when I am playing. Although I do think it looks a good deal better, some of the planets are simply beautiful.

But I enjoyed the stylization of WoW too, so I'm not too picky about this stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Heh, it could be worse!

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

That's actually a pretty good number.

Warhammer online had first month retainment of around 50% and it was considered a failure.

DAOC was considered a success with over 60% and we're talking first month only.

If they can maintain a population of ~1 million they are bound to turn good profit.

If I recall they said they'd be ok with 500,000 subscribers.

Yeah, now that we are about 5 months in, I'd say the outlook is fairly healthy for TOR long term. That 1.2 patch addressed a huge laundry list of issues and seemed to stem the bleeding. I was a bit uncertain about the long term originally, but now I think it will have a good run.

Having played on the Oceanic servers, of which there are only three, I can't complain about population density just yet. Pretty much never am the only person questing in a particular area, and could easily enough find groups to do both normal and heroic quests if I had the desire to (which I don't). But it seems it's a different story on the majority of servers, At least they've got the plans to merge the "dead" servers in motion already - WoW players on equivalent servers have been clamouring for mergers for years but keep meeting the "it's too hard" excuse and instead get milked $25 per character to transfer to a viable server.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Guest Slinky

At least they've got the plans to merge the "dead" servers in motion already - WoW players on equivalent servers have been clamouring for mergers for years but keep meeting the "it's too hard" excuse and instead get milked $25 per character to transfer to a viable server.

Actually they are doing the exactly same on TOR, character transfers are coming "early summer" to all regions. It's supposed to be free on "some" of the most dead servers, but not for the rest. No merges coming as far as I know, at least yet.

Hopefully I get a free transfer, kinda hard to get people for heroics if I'm the only one at the planet.

Early summer is a lot better than a few years, and not charging $25 is also pretty nice, even though they are trying to control it somewhat. I think you will see a population boost on the medium servers, it sounds like transferring to the heavy pop ones will be restricted.

edit: The Legacy system adds a complication to TOR transfers, so I'm just happy we are getting them reasonably soon.

Edited by Hurlshot

Hopefully I get a free transfer, kinda hard to get people for heroics if I'm the only one at the planet.

This was the final nail in the coffin for me. I had 3-4 planets each with a few heroics to do and every day I would log in and fly to each planet trying to scrounge up a pug in trade chat only to see 10 people on the entire planet. And I was on a supposedly well populated server, Corellion Run.

This was the final nail in the coffin for me. I had 3-4 planets each with a few heroics to do and every day I would log in and fly to each planet trying to scrounge up a pug in trade chat only to see 10 people on the entire planet. And I was on a supposedly well populated server, Corellion Run.

Hm, that's the server I use. If I'm on during daytime/early evening hours (gmt) there's usually that 10-20 folks around on a planet. When it's hitting later evening it can get quite populated, especially on that fri-sunday stretch.

I'll tend to throw out a "anyone interested in x heroic" if I've got them, but I'm not that fussed about them. They generally don't seem to be as interesting as the other quests you pick up (either from class or general world). Although it would be nice if you could get access to companion gear via the heroics as well...

From a story perspective, the heroics are pretty meh. From a gameplay perspective I kinda like them. The fights are tougher, so you have to think and cooperate a little, making them a nice break. But they are not needed to do in any way shape or form.

I tend to get the heroics done once and then I move on. I rarely have trouble finding someone to jump in and play the 2 person ones with me. 4-persons are a bit tougher to get a group for, but I don't really feel I'm missing out if I don't get it done. There is a pretty huge amount of content in this game, and it is the first one that really has me into playing more than one character.

Michael Pachter thinks SWTOR is pulling talent away from Dragon Age 3, therefor postponing the release to 2014.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...-mmo-pulling-talent-away-from-dragon-age-team

Meanwhile, Dave Gaider is losing all his carefully planted hair and becomes fat and sad again.

MMO's. No matter how many bodies you throw at them, they never deliver. But they do destroy change the companies we all used to love (see Blizzard).

Michael Pachter thinks SWTOR is pulling talent away from Dragon Age 3, therefor postponing the release to 2014.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...-mmo-pulling-talent-away-from-dragon-age-team

Meanwhile, Dave Gaider is losing all his carefully planted hair and becomes fat and sad again.

MMO's. No matter how many bodies you throw at them, they never deliver. But they do destroy change the companies we all used to love (see Blizzard).

;(

I'm pretty sure WoW delivered. I also don't really see how Starcraft 2 or Diablo 3 are different because of WoW.

You are coming across as more bitter than usual Morgy. You should come play TOR with me and relax a bit.

Had a brief spurt of getting my Smuggler through Corellia. I don't know why but I there's something about that planet that just doesn't hit my Star Wars oomph button.

On the other hand, I am thinking of spending a few hours pushing my Bounty Hunter through Dromund Kaas at some point this week...

And once again, I growl over the way you have to piecemeal the companion gear sets.