Movies you've seen recently

Tale

Latest Prometheus trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1byZkbNB3Jw&feature=player_embedded

I'm not watching this trailer. The last one was already too spoilery.

I'm waiting patiently for the Director's Cut Extended Special Blu-Ray Edition. No capped or cut theather version either.

I'm a patient man. This movie deserves it.

Edited by Morgoth
  • Like 1

I feel like I know enough to piece together what's going to happen.

But I always feel like that and I'm always wrong.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Lockout.

Otherwise known as "Spaaace Jaaaail!". It does pretty much come across as an "Escape from New York" variant, with Guy Pearce as "Snow" the ex-government agent replacing Plisken, and a giant space station replacing New York as the prison. And they've kept the "president's daughter" in there...

Cheerfully fun in that cheesey, watch it without taking anything too seriously sense. It's an excuse for two characters to be running around and nearly making it through locked doors while being chased by extreme prisoners driven partially insane by the cryo-stasis used to store them...

In many ways, there's not so much a flow of dialogue, as a flow of snarky comments - especially from the "hero" but that works with this type of movie.

Not sure that I'd say it's worth a trip to the cinema, but it's up there for a dvd night with the mates and some drinks.

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Lockout.

Otherwise known as "Spaaace Jaaaail!". It does pretty much come across as an "Escape from New York" variant, with Guy Pearce as "Snow" the ex-government agent replacing Plisken, and a giant space station replacing New York as the prison. And they've kept the "president's daughter" in there...

Cheerfully fun in that cheesey, watch it without taking anything too seriously sense. It's an excuse for two characters to be running around and nearly making it through locked doors while being chased by extreme prisoners driven partially insane by the cryo-stasis used to store them...

In many ways, there's not so much a flow of dialogue, as a flow of snarky comments - especially from the "hero" but that works with this type of movie.

Not sure that I'd say it's worth a trip to the cinema, but it's up there for a dvd night with the mates and some drinks.

And my counterargument its simple :Luc Besson.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Did you have anything against 5th Element? :skeptical:

That's a better trailer, that actually had the "meh" side of my brain perk up a little bit, if for nothing else but for some of the awesome camera/scenery work. But yeah...shows a lot. Nearly 3 minutes, that's a long movie trailer.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I think i have a bit of a man crush on Edris Elba

Ah, have you seen the old british tv mini-series Ultraviolet? Jack Davenport, Idris Elba, Phillip Quast, Susannah Harker - In an interesting take on vampires in the modern age. They did it in, hm '98 or so.

Works quite nicely, done in a mostly understated way. Davenport plays a policeman who gets pulled into a secret government organisation that hunts Vampires after his best friend goes missing on the night before the guys wedding. Elba is the hard core squaddie who survived a vampire attack during the Gulf war that killed the rest of his mates, Quast plays the philosophical priest who leads the team, and Susannah Harker as the science type supporting them..

During the entire series they never actually use the term "Vampire" either... Nice elements of horror / conspiracy and a few other things thrown in the mix.

• Like 1

Sorry I thought you were arguing against Lockout, and no I have nothing against the 5th Element. It was the first movie in which Milla Jojovich married a director so she could get a role.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Sorry I thought you were arguing against Lockout, and no I have nothing against the 5th Element. It was the first movie in which Milla Jojovich married a director so she could get a role.

How many directors has she married? :unsure:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Oh, no. Not so much arguing against it just.... It's not a film I'd go to the cinema to see. It's a film I'd enjoy watching with mates around, a few drinks, and a big screen tv as we enjoy the cheesey entertainment.

It's Escape from New York done today. Good, fun, not overly complicated, a chunk of snark, some amusing violence. It is what it is. :)

• Like 1

I think i have a bit of a man crush on Edris Elba

Ah, have you seen the old british tv mini-series Ultraviolet? Jack Davenport, Idris Elba, Phillip Quast, Susannah Harker - In an interesting take on vampires in the modern age. They did it in, hm '98 or so.

Works quite nicely, done in a mostly understated way. Davenport plays a policeman who gets pulled into a secret government organisation that hunts Vampires after his best friend goes missing on the night before the guys wedding. Elba is the hard core squaddie who survived a vampire attack during the Gulf war that killed the rest of his mates, Quast plays the philosophical priest who leads the team, and Susannah Harker as the science type supporting them..

During the entire series they never actually use the term "Vampire" either... Nice elements of horror / conspiracy and a few other things thrown in the mix.

Ultraviolet was great. Did they make a US version or show the UK one over there?

sonsofgygax.JPG

Ultraviolet was great. Did they make a US version or show the UK one over there?

The US actually shot a pilot episode for a Stateside version, and they even had Idris Elba taking a role in it. But apparently it never got picked up..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1byZkbNB3Jw&feature=player_embedded

I'm not watching this trailer. The last one was already too spoilery.

I'm waiting patiently for the Director's Cut Extended Special Blu-Ray Edition. No capped or cut theather version either.

I'm a patient man. This movie deserves it.

If Charlize Theron got any hotter I'd probably have a stroke heart attack (LOL!) edit

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

How many directors has she married? :unsure:

Two, Luc Bessan (1997-1999) and Paul W. S. Anderson (2009 - present). Her other marriage (annulled, IIRC) was to an actor.

I watched THE RAVEN over the weekend. Not a bad idea for a movie (Edgar Allen Poe is recruited by the police to help capture a killer who uses scenes from Poe's work to stage gruesome murders) but it doesn't seem to understand the period its set in, Poe or his work or even manage a compelling mystery. It also seems oddly preoccupied with the gore of various deaths than makeing things suspensful or really chilling.

John Cusack does his best playing Byron playing Poe, Alice Eve is serviceable as the female lead; Brendan Gleeson's talents are mostly wasted as his role is mostly scowling. Luke Evans manages to do well with the inspector who recruits Poe to help.

Set design and costumes were pretty good though, as was cinematography.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Oh, no. Not so much arguing against it just.... It's not a film I'd go to the cinema to see. It's a film I'd enjoy watching with mates around, a few drinks, and a big screen tv as we enjoy the cheesey entertainment.

It's Escape from New York done today. Good, fun, not overly complicated, a chunk of snark, some amusing violence. It is what it is. :)

Escape from New York it's a ****ing classic, you sir don't deserve to have watched that film :p

Also what's with the girl playing the female lead, does she actually like playing characters that are an R rating from being gangbanged?

village_idiot.gif

[Escape from New York it's a ****ing classic, you sir don't deserve to have watched that film :p

Also what's with the girl playing the female lead, does she actually like playing characters that are an R rating from being gangbanged?

Escape from New York is a classic. Its a cheesy, poking fun at itself classic, but it's worth watching at the cinema any chance you get.

Films that pretty much rip it off, even if they're fun films themselves, don't necessarily deserve cinema viewing.

Escape from New York is a classic. Its a cheesy, poking fun at itself classic, but it's worth watching at the cinema any chance you get.

Films that pretty much rip it off, even if they're fun films themselves, don't necessarily deserve cinema viewing.

I wasn't actually expecting a repeat of Escape from New York, quite frankly I was just excited to see the name Luc Besson attached to another project. Specially since I haven't got a kick from an action film in a while. :sigh: I miss the 90's and cars exploding in every movie.

I was split whether to see this movie or The Raid, eventually the decision was made for me but I don't regret a bit. The Raid had some awesome action scenes, bloody as hell and you could tell in that they actually beat the crap out of each other for real.

village_idiot.gif

I watched Demolition Man yet again on Netflix the other night. I don't know what it is about that movie. It's utter trash....and yet, yet...I find myself so entertained. "Armor hot dogs! The dog, kids, love, to biiiite!"

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I watched Demolition Man yet again on Netflix the other night. I don't know what it is about that movie. It's utter trash....and yet, yet...I find myself so entertained. "Armor hot dogs! The dog, kids, love, to biiiite!"

He never did find out how to use the 3 seashells, did he? :grin:

I think I wouldn't mind watching that one again, It's been quite a number of years since I saw it the first time.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein