Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

CoM_Solaufein

To be fair Oblivion is the only one that needs modding, vanilla Morrowind is passable but after so many years of modding it's been elevated to godlike status, Skyrim doesn't seem to have many outright broken systems so in 300 hours of playing I only found myself looking for minor tweaks.

Almost every game gets better with modding - the reason why it's so obvious with Bethesda games is that they simply are a lot better at giving modders good tools than other companies.

But Skyrim is very playable on it's own.. Mods just make it even better.

And nice find Virumor - I actually saw an interesting Ted Talk about it.. For those interested (5:40 minutes in he talks about this exact thing): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc&feature=relmfu

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

some awesome stuff for skyrim, lets hope they release some of those mods, like spears.... smh "take too much dev time" my ass.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

some awesome stuff for skyrim, lets hope they release some of those mods, like spears.... smh "take too much dev time" my ass.

Yeah, because when I think of Skyrim I really think "those lazy developers just left out a ton of stuff."

• Like 1

Yeah, because when I think of Skyrim I really think "those lazy developers just left out a ton of stuff."

Agreed, I'm burnt out on Skyrim and I've only seen half of it, one thing I never complain about with Bethesda is bang for buck, I'm hoping the Gun Runners Arsenal showed them that they can make money from smaller releases that enhance the core game, better still I hope they just put it out on the Steam Workshop.

i want more character play-style options. the sandbox is sooo big, i wish there were more ways for me to play while exploring it. necromancy, spears, poison/curse spell trees, throwing weapons, greater differences between the different races etc

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I'm on my third plyathrough of vanilla skyrim. No complaints here. Love it.

Hated Oblivion, and Fallout 3.

Go Beth, go.

NTW, I can see how it's perfectly sound that they didn't get a lot of this in first time. Once teh thing is up and running it's a lot easire to tack stuff on parasitically than it is to build the whole engine in the first place.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I wish those ranged and magic finishers were in the game. Impaling and lobbing off heads with my melee Orc never gets old.

Though rather than have them trigger randomly, they should've used an adrenaline system of sorts, like Dark Messiah. Fill the adrenaline bar and you can instakill an enemy with a finisher.

• Like 1

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

i wish the animations for axes and maces were as cool as the sword ones. axes should be able to hack off arms and legs, maces and hammers should make heads explode.

Do the starting classes/races have any effect on the game, other than the class-specific bonuses? For instance, are there any quests available or not available depending on your starting class/race?

I'm playing as a Nord this first time through, and am curious if there's much of a difference if I take a different class the next time.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Relented and bought a week ago (combination of patch release and $30 sale convinced me to try it), and been playing it a decent amount over the past week. Took while because I maintain that Oblivion is the worst game I've ever had the misfortune to spend money on. Didn't buy that on release either - was a good 6-9 months after which should have been plenty of time for modders to fix it - but nope, still completely awful - so I don't believe the "mods will fix it" principle is necessarily true for a sufficiently bad game.

No real surprises thus far, all the strengths and flaws are ones that any experienced gamer would attribute to any TES/Gamebryo game. Three-word review would go something like "huge, but shallow."

P.S. I'm a bit scared about installing the hi-res texture pack with my 1GB card. Any reports?

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Just noticed this video over on the Codex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2DshotexMU&feature=player_embedded#!

Looks great. How awesome wouldn't it be with battles like that in a Elder Scrolls game?

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Well, I take back what I said. The Skyrim devs apparently had some free time and came up with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYOFLqItuW4

What is in this video? GEMA doesn't allow me to watch it.

/Edit: Just watched it with hidemyass.com and stuff look really good. Is that downloadable somewhere? I might actually touch Skyrim again, just to check out this stuff.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Well, I take back what I said. The Skyrim devs apparently had some free time and came up with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYOFLqItuW4

What is in this video? GEMA doesn't allow me to watch it.

/Edit: Just watched it with hidemyass.com and stuff look really good. Is that downloadable somewhere? I might actually touch Skyrim again, just to check out this stuff.

Not downloadable yet but Bethesda have been pretty responsive to the fans just lately so it's totally possible that they will put out some of it.

Edited by WDeranged

I got my second housecarl today. I don't know which one to drag around as a packmule --- err companion, the one from Solitude or the one from Whiterun.

This game really is huge. I've been at this for days, and I'm nowhere close to finishing up any of the quests from the main cities (other than I believe Whiterun, where I have one or two to go).

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Lydia is best with heavy armour, 1 handed weapons + shield..

Here's a list of followers.. down the list you can see them divided into categories (rogue, fighter, mage etc)

That's a tonne more followers than I thought was available. Half those characters I've already interacted with, but they gave me no indication they'd join me. Then again, a lot of them gave me fetch quests that I haven't gotten around to yet. So that might explain it.

So far, I've gotten Lydia and that chick with the long name who is the housecarl when you buy a house in Solitude. I've also run into three or four of those mercenaries that you have to pay money to have them join you (haven't bothered with that).

Say what you will about Skyrim, but the game certainly is bang for your buck. There's just so much to do.