Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

CoM_Solaufein

Uh, are you guys joking? Skyrim on PlayStation 3 goes to 0 FPS. 0. Check Digital Foundry. That's simply not acceptable, especially coming from a developer as big as Bethesda. I'm not talking about the occasional oddity, I'm talking about game-breaking performance.

Furthermore, justifying a developer for not fixing their title because they're not going to get any money out of it (which uh, is kind of a complicated issue since it doesn't take into account people who won't buy another Bethesda title full-price because of the state the title was released in) simply strikes me as dumb. I mean, I could understand if that logic was coming from a Zenimax higher up, but as a customer it screams of Stockholm syndrome.

And yeah, Bethesda shouldn't be singled out, but neither they should come out scot-free. I've always criticized Obsidian for the poor state they released their titles out of the gate (with the only exception of Dungeon Siege III), so I really don't see why I shouldn't do it with Beth.

If performance is that bad on the PS3, then it's certainly bad and inexcusable. I can only go by with what I experienced, and then it wasn't that bad. I had one major bug that was annoying (some voice files not firing, actually preventing me from continuing the main quest), but I found a way to manually repair that. So yeah, Skyrim has bugs. For me it wasn't bad enough to lessen my enjoyment of the game, so I don't think it's worse than anything else.

Like Morgoth said, if we want bug free games, all we'll get are linear corridor shooters and I am fine with a title being a little buggy if it tries to expand that scope. There is a point when it becomes too much, but Skyrim wasn't it, not for me.

I'm not saying it's right or that I agree with it. But that's the way it is. gamers have earned their buggy games by being non-discriminating consumers. Publishers KNOW they can release buggy games and they'll sell anyway.

I don't think the fault lies with the customer since they can't know if a game is buggy beforehand or if those bugs will apply to their gaming experience. Victim blaming simply doesn't make sense, it's like you think that they were asking for a buggy game.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Sporrry Slowtrain. I don't buy your explanation. Obviously publishers feel they can deliver buggy games.

However, with respect that's got the square root of **** all to do with how we on this forum should behave with regard to buggy games.

Complex architectures have emergent properties. Simply making frowny faces won't solve that. Nor will refusing to buy buggy games, since as has already been observed that will just bankrupt publishers who release complex games.

If you actually want to solve it, develop a methodology for predicting failures in complex architectures. Lot of money in that, as well.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

buggiest games i ever played

arcanum

fallout

nothing since then has been even close

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

i actually had way worse bugs in fallout 1 than fallout 2, maybe i just got lucky?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

You didn't played Fallout 2 or Vampire: Bloodlines? :>

Ah yes, getting stuck in the Leopold Society. Add the Leviathan bug in Kotor to the game breakers. Older games weren't bug free (pun unintended) either, as you could get stuck in X-Com 2: Terror from the Deep if you researched the wrong alien at the wrong time, never finding the sunken city.

As for Skyrim, I got as far as getting it downloaded from Steam and playing a bit with character creation. No idea what race to settle for really. Still need to complete my game of FO:NV before starting "serious" play anyway, so I have a bit of time still to make my mind up.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I hate to point out that BGII was practically bug free upon release whereas I've had to use the console to fix a game breaking bug in both Bethesda games I've played.

What usually happens is that the play-testers find bugs and point them out and get memos of the sort: "we're not looking for that, we're looking for xyz" or are just ignored and the game ships anyway. The management doesn't care about bugs but about meeting schedules and profits, so **** the customers who're they anyway.

If you don't like it, don't buy the games from Bethesda, buy from Relic or Blizzard or Bioware instead. They all had their slip ups, but its quite obvious some developers take a more serious approach to quality assurance than others.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

BGII was nowhere near bug free on release.

I didn't have a single bug, crash or anything of the sort until I switched to XP. Even then, only the single, most common XP bug gave me any problems.

Your experiences != everyones experiences. For reference: http://www.shacknews.com/file/383/baldurs-...7-english-patch

The companion stutter bug for instance was kinda severe (and I believe I've had it on other companions than Aerie).

I only had one major bug in Skyrim, which I could fix myself, so I had about the same experience with it that I did BG.

edit: Which doesn't mean there weren't more, especially the PS3 bug sounds messed up.

Edited by Spider

when is the blasted toolkit being released? is it already out? its january now where is it!

Something about moving from an internal space to an external one lags my PC to hell, and I have to shut down the game instance and do something else for an hour. This actually work out well, and has resulted in my getting quite a lot of admin done around the house.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

when is the blasted toolkit being released? is it already out? its january now where is it!

Maybe Bethesda wants to prolong the innocence of their baby before it's completely corrupted by deviants :(

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Maybe Bethesda wants to prolong the innocence of their baby before it's completely corrupted by deviants :(

I think not. Bethesda releases games based on the presumption that the unpaid masses are going to finish it for them.

I think not. Bethesda releases games based on the presumption that the unpaid masses are going to finish it for them.

... with hentai-themed nude mods.

Maybe Bethesda wants to prolong the innocence of their baby before it's completely corrupted by deviants :shifty:

All they wanted to include but never dared to.

i think its time this forum added a reputation or "like" system, because i really want to click a thumbs up icon or something for that post

Are you implying that Bethesda it's capable of the level of perversion that permeates the Nexus?

village_idiot.gif

Are you implying that Bethesda it's capable of the level of perversion that permeates the Nexus?

Of course. Just look at the poor mudcrab.

Maybe Bethesda wants to prolong the innocence of their baby before it's completely corrupted by deviants ;)

Of course. Just look at the poor mudcrab.

What about it?

village_idiot.gif

I see it's high time for the lusty Argonian maid.

ACT IV, SCENE III, CONTINUED

Lifts-Her-Tail: Certainly not, kind sir! I am here but to clean your chambers.

Crantius Colto: Is that all you have come here for, little one? My chambers?

Lifts-Her-Tail: I have no idea what it is you imply, master. I am but a poor Argonian maid.

Crantius Colto: So you are, my dumpling. And a good one at that. Such strong legs and shapely tail.

Lifts-Her-Tail: You embarrass me, sir!

Crantius Colto: Fear not. You are safe here with me.

Lifts-Her-Tail: I must finish my cleaning, sir. The mistress will have my head if I do not!

Crantius Colto: Cleaning, eh? I have something for you. Here, polish my spear.

Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!

Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.

END OF ACT IV, SCENE III

ACT VII, SCENE II, CONTINUED

Lifts-Her-Tail: My goodness, that's quite a loaf! But how ever shall it fit my oven?

Crantius Colto: This loaf isn't ready for baking, my sweet. It has yet to rise.

Lifts-Her-Tail: If only we could hurry that along. How would I accomplish such a task?

Crantius Colto: Oh, my foolish little Argonian maid, you must use your hands.

Lifts-Her-Tail: You wish me to kneed the loaf? Here?

Crantius Colto: Of course.

Lifts-Her-Tail: But what if the mistress catches me? Your loaf was meant to satisfy her appetite.

Crantius Colto: Don't fret, my delicate flower. I'll satisfy the mistress's cravings later.

Lifts-Her-Tail: Very well, but I'm afraid my oven isn't hot enough. It could take hours!

Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.

END OF ACT VII, SCENE II

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.