Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I wonder how the lore explains Aurora Borealis, considering for instance the sun and stars are holes in the fabric of Mundus, through which Aetherius shines through.

Also, the skies in Shivering Isles were magnificent.

Wizard did it :thumbsup:

Though really, I'll bet they'll have an explanation for it buried in a book somewhere.

Edited by WDeranged

EDIT: Also, for some reason, Obsidz choose to go with flat-looking grainy clouds. I've never lived or been to the Mojave, and I admit I haven't done much research on its weather patterns, let alone have any data on common cloud formations there but, I'd imagine, even if towering clouds or more interesting skies aren't as common, going for more interesting skyboxes as an artistic choice would have been something I'd have endorsed.

4409191592_ec7cb7760e_b.jpg

LenticularClouds.jpg

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I would have liked better clouds too. There are mods for it of course, but I personally think the mods never really fit with the rest of the games colors and I don't want to use mods which change the general games colors...

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I grudingly admit to being a little excited about this.

I'm actually not all that excited. I keep thinking about what it will be like to start the game. I will be a prisoner, I will break out by some chance of fate and just happen to learn skills on my way to the daylight, and then I will fight a few wolves to get to the first town, where some underwhelming quests will be offered to me.

I don't know, I will still pick it up, hopefully I'll get excited in time.

Agrees with Hurlshot.

I've decided I'm definitely going to buy it, partly because of hype & partly because I'm just curious to see it graphically, at this point...(and I'm not getting D3 so I'll have time)...but I'm still not excited. But hoping it'll surprise me and I'll find myself wanting to wander & explore & being sucked into it non-stop for several weeks.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm actually not all that excited. I keep thinking about what it will be like to start the game. I will be a prisoner, I will break out by some chance of fate and just happen to learn skills on my way to the daylight, and then I will fight a few wolves to get to the first town, where some underwhelming quests will be offered to me.

Uhm, I can understand not being excited about Skyrim, but your criticism basically sounds to me like "I don't really like open-world/Bethesda titles". Why are you buying the game then?

Uhm, I can understand not being excited about Skyrim, but your criticism basically sounds to me like "I don't really like open-world/Bethesda titles". Why are you buying the game then?

I thought it was more of a "I'm tired of the same exact starting scenario in every Bethesda game."

I need to be in a certain mood for open world games, and I'm clearly not there right now. Maybe I will get there by November 11th.

im way too excited about this game.

between this and diablo 3 coming soon, i'm going to be set for a long long time when it comes to certain types of game cravings.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Skyrim's coming at the right time for me - have had nothing open world or nothing fantasy for a long time now. But I'm gonna need to try and hold myself off Day 1 purchase, so that I don't have to deal with typical 'features' I expect it'll come packaged with (level scaling, for one).

Skyrim's coming at the right time for me - have had nothing open world or nothing fantasy for a long time now. But I'm gonna need to try and hold myself off Day 1 purchase, so that I don't have to deal with typical 'features' I expect it'll come packaged with (level scaling, for one).

Level scaling is like Fallout 3, they pretty much said that since the first preview.

Oh, i know. But I won't believe until I see for myself (and FO3's solution wasn't that great, either).

There's other things like I expect to slow down levelling in some way, but maybe I can do that myself a la NV.

The worst I've seen in level scaling lately is Dead Islands Diabloesque weapon rq. You can have a 'strong, flimsy hammer'. Strong because you need to be lv 40 to swing it, and flimsy because of the durability stat. A lv 40 Zombie poses exactly the same challenge for the player as a vl1.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

There's nothing good to be said about level-scaling.

In the end it's just a way to make things easier for the developer. For a gamer, level-scaling always cheapens the experience.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

In the end it's just a way to make things easier for the developer. For a gamer, level-scaling always cheapens the experience.

Didn't you like Daggerfall? I recently replayed it and that one has exactly the same level scaling as Oblivion. Above level 20 all you'll ever meet are Vampires, Liches and Ancient Vampires. It even has random bandits dropping daedric equipment.

The only difference is that the main quest dungeons have fixed levels of monsters.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Didn't you like Daggerfall? I recently replayed it and that one has exactly the same level scaling as Oblivion. Above level 20 all you'll ever meet are Vampires, Liches and Ancient Vampires. It even has random bandits dropping daedric equipment.

The only difference is that the main quest dungeons have fixed levels of monsters.

I do indeed like Daggerfall, and yes, you are correct it has exactly the same level scaling as Oblivion. (not quite, actually, but close)

Daggerfall, however much I like it, would have been a better game without it.

I don't claim that level-scaling instantly makes any game bad, rather that it makes it less than it could have been.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The only time I've ever disliked level scaling was in Oblivion, it's still quite visible in Fallout 3 but it doesn't bother me, I actually get a buzz when I hit a new tier of enemies, and it's not like there aren't hand placed encounters too.

After all the info and videos I'm pretty sure I'll really like Skyrim, my biggest worry now is a ****ty PC port or the typical Bethesda CTD's, I reckon there's still a fair chunk of legacy code in there...

The implementaion of level scaling in Oblivion was the worst I've ever seen in any game. There may be other games that are worse, but not that I've played.

Fallout 3 had less obvious and extreme level-scaling and had much greater strengths to begin with, all of which made the level-scaling in FO3 much more tolerable.

If Skyrim really does have the same basic level-scaling implementation as FO3 that will be good enough. Not ideal, but good enough.

As long as it's something different from Oblivion/Morrowind I'll probably at least be able to live with it. (still haven't gotten around to playing FO3 so no clue)

And I'm also hoping that modding capabilities will help overcome anything I may not personally like in the game.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts