RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

Afaik, the Steam stuff is optional. You don't have to do that.

/Edit: It's even written on the page. "Participation in the survey is optional,"

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

There's an interview with Mark Strong out on his voicing Captain Titus in Space Marines.

Kind of interesting to see how he came into it and that he's playing a hero for once...

Captain Titus Interview

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Steam does exactly same, and even publishes those details, and I don't see anyone crying foul over that. I guess it's cool to hate EA, but not Valve.

I'm not too savvy with the technical details on these matters, nor am I hating anything yet (except for cabbagesoup), but someone at other forums put it out that Steam only monitors what you do in/with Steam but doesn't touch non-Steam matters (outside of the optable surveys). Any truth to that?

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Steam does exactly same, and even publishes those details, and I don't see anyone crying foul over that. I guess it's cool to hate EA, but not Valve.

I'm not too savvy with the technical details on these matters, nor am I hating anything yet (except for cabbagesoup), but someone at other forums put it out that Steam only monitors what you do in/with Steam but doesn't touch non-Steam matters (outside of the optable surveys). Any truth to that?

Steam has it's VAC (thanks Tale :bat: ) anti-cheat software which monitors all active processes at least.

Here's Steam data collection section from EULA:

Collection and Use of Information

By using Valve's online sites and products, users agree that Valve may collect aggregate information, individual information, and personally identifiable information, as defined below. Valve may share aggregate information and individual information with other parties. Valve shall not share personally identifiable information with other parties, except as described in the policy below.

"Aggregate information" is information that describes the habits, usage patterns, and demographics of users as a group but does not describe or reveal the identity of any particular user.

"Individual information" is information about a user that is presented in a form distinguishable from information relating to other users but not in a form that personally identifies any user or enables the recipient to communicate directly with any user unless agreed to by the user in advance of such communication. This information may be used to improve Valve's products and online sites, for internal marketing studies, or simply to collect demographic information about Valve's users.

Steam anti-cheat section from EULA:

Steam and the Software may include functionality designed to identify software or hardware processes or functionality that may give a player an unfair competitive advantage when playing multiplayer versions of any Software, other Valve products, or modifications thereof ("Cheats").

And here's Origin data collection section from EULA:

Consent to Collection and Use of Data.

37683v1

You agree that EA may collect, use, store and transmit technical and

related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol

Address), operating system, Application usage (including but not limited to

successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral

hardware, that may be gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software

updates, dynamically served content, product support and other services to you,

including online services. EA may also use this information combined with

personal information for marketing purposes and to improve our products and

services. We may also share that data with our third party service providers in a

form that does not personally identify you. IF YOU DO NOT WANT EA TO

COLLECT, USE, STORE, TRANSMIT OR DISPLAY THE DATA DESCRIBED IN

THIS SECTION, PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL OR USE THE APPLICATION.

This and all other data provided to EA and/or collected by EA in connection with

your installation and use of this Application is collected, used, stored and

transmitted in accordance with EA?s Privacy Policy located at www.ea.com. To

the extent that anything in this section conflicts with the terms of EA?s Privacy

Policy, the terms of the Privacy Policy shall control.

This bit "Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal)" means the Origin client.

This bit "software, software usage" means active processes.

So I guess EA is a bit more "creepy" by not giving you the choice to opt out from software data collection (unlike Steam HW survey), but they both DO collect the data. And nowhere in there was a mention about scanning your HDD for warez or logging your website browsing habits.

Edited by trulez

Steam has it's Steam Guard anti-cheat software which monitors all active processes at least.

Steam Guard just monitors what computers have logged in. VAC is the anti-cheat. Nobody outside of Valve actually knows how VAC works.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

From gamescom...

The Saints Row The Third interview with the "Quality Assurance Team".. and said interviewer seems just a tad flustered..

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

What's funny is some parts of EULAs would be laughed out of court (and have been) if fought.

this is true. there are some aspects of these agreements that go too far, and wouldn't hold up if push really came to shove. that said, you really need to prove damage to make much of it, and so far the companies have been careful enough to keep possible damages in the low thousands at the highest (ie damage to a single individual in loss of use of software etc etc). in which case they would vastly prefer to just settle out of court than have their whole EULA get dragged through the american legal system for a few years.

they'll keep pushing the line though, its just the way stuff like this works. once they push a little too far, they'll back off a bit, wait a year, then start pushing again. the only way to really stop it is to get harder defined rules from the courts about what can and can't be in there, and that will happen slowly, case by case, for probably longer than our lifetimes.

hurray.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Will there ever be a day when the internet won't be shocked and appalled at those evil companies hiding clever tricks in their EULAs and deviously spying on them?

Welcome to the future, your internet stuff will be recorded one way or another. If you're lucky it'll be anonymous.

Kind of depressing really. Hm, I guess it's too much to hope for a total collapse of the industry though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Would be interesting to see, though.

Also... http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/24/gamestop...pons-from-reta/

:(

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Opinion's worse than before, looks a decent game, but meh with the IP.

Never played the old X-COM games

wow... :bat:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.