RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

The DMC reboot looks totally silly, I don't care about that.

But yeah, I would totally buy an Enslaved sequel. That game was considerably underrated. Really, some of the coolest set pieces I've ever seen, some very desolate atmosphere despite everything being so colorful, and most importantnly, friggin' Andy Serkis doing his acting magic.

As for RE6: No, they already said it will be a huge departure from RE5. So let's wait and see.

I haven't ever really been interested in MMOFPS games, but indie game Hawken looks pretty neat.

Hawken is an upcoming independent multiplayer mech combat game under development by Adhesive Games. The game focuses on creating an intense battle experience that captures the feel of piloting a mech while keeping the action fast-paced and strategic. The team of developers consist of 9 members (6 core members and 3 interns, including the art director, Khang Le).

Hawken is a mech-based first-person shooter. The game takes place in a post-apocalyptic human-colonized planet industrialized to the point of collapse, in which the hunt for resources has become a battle for survival. Four game modes are planned for release: team deathmatch, free-for-all deathmatch, "siege" and another yet-specified unique team game mode; Khang Le has said that they also want to do a co-op "Horde" game mode, resource- and time-permitting. Seven to eight unique maps have been planned for the game on release, with plans to provide additional downloadable content afterwards. There will be three different mech types: a faster more mobile type, a heavier and slower tank-like type, and an all-around type.

For a multiplattform title the PC Version does actually pretty well. (IMO)

I also read somewhere that Portal 2 sold a couple of million units. Most of them - surprise - on PC.

So no, 80k units for a franchise that started on the PC is not good. That's just outright bad.

I also read somewhere that Portal 2 sold a couple of million units. Most of them - surprise - on PC.

So no, 80k units for a franchise that started on the PC is not good. That's just outright bad.

Is that retail only? I find it pretty hard to believe. The game was peaking around 60k last week on Steam so I'm pretty sure the sales are well above 100k for PC.

Hate the living, love the dead.

First Week

And Portal 2s PC sales were quite extraordiary so its not the best comparison.

Edit: Also even though DX started on PC its been a decade. Many players from back then moved on/went to consoles etc.. And for those who got interested and played later its "only" a legacy and don't really have the "It has to be on PC" feeling.

Edited by C2B

Edit: Also even though DX started on PC its been a decade. Many players from back then moved on/went to consoles etc..

Damn traitors. Burn the heretics.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

And the source of those numbers is what exactly?

Haven't seen any Square-Enix press release/interview and after barley a week of sales this looks like a vgchartz number.

It sez that the source comes from SE directly.

Well I don't buy it then.

Those numbers are identical to the ones vgcharts put out and unless I missed an "anonymous source" or SE employee name somewhere then that article is simply unsourced.

Matching VGChartz is not necessarily a reason for doubting them- VGChartz is quite often recursive (they'll retcon their figures if the publisher releases ones that contradict their own). Still, that's only about a third better than TWitcher2 did on PC alone in its first week and seem rather light. For such a long dev time and big team those figures would be a bit worrying for SE if accurate.

Rockstar gonna have a surprise or two for us at the FirstLook event on October 1st

This better not be Rockstar presents Table Tennis 2 or something.

Maybe new game= PC port of something.

The link says that it's going to be the first public footage of Max Payne 3?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

That wouldn't even cover the cost of the trailers. It would be a huge failure if the game doesn't do really really well, especially if their decide to build a franchise on the IP is true.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

That wouldn't even cover the cost of the trailers. It would be a huge failure if the game doesn't do really really well, especially if their decide to build a franchise on the IP is true.

I doubt they are counting the Steam numbers in those figures, and I think that is a large chunk of PC sales at this point.

this game was steamworks right? so probably 30-40% of the pc sales are going to be on steam.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

First Week

And Portal 2s PC sales were quite extraordiary so its not the best comparison.

Edit: Also even though DX started on PC its been a decade. Many players from back then moved on/went to consoles etc.. And for those who got interested and played later its "only" a legacy and don't really have the "It has to be on PC" feeling.

I may be one of those. I got off of PC gaming as much due to the DRM and have to authenticate online with limited installs type thing which I don't have to worry about with consoles. I've been thinking about picking up DX:HR on console...not certain yet. I like what I've been hearing, so cautiously optimistic...but unsure. If I pick it up though, it will probably be for the PS3 instead of Computer.

Rockstar gonna have a surprise or two for us at the FirstLook event on October 1st

This better not be Rockstar presents Table Tennis 2 or something.

Maybe new game= PC port of something.

The link says that it's going to be the first public footage of Max Payne 3?

May Payne 3 is pretty much a given. I also hope they start talking a bit about Agent, 'cause that's the game I'm most interested in from R*

650k sold in a mere 10-15 days is actually quite healthy. Remember only 2 out of 10 AAA games make a profit nowadays. If DX keeps selling at that rate they're gonna have a couple million units sold in like 6 months, which pretty much guarantees a sequel.

650k sold in a mere 10-15 days is actually quite healthy. Remember only 2 out of 10 AAA games make a profit nowadays. If DX keeps selling at that rate they're gonna have a couple million units sold in like 6 months, which pretty much guarantees a sequel.

I was under the impression that it was mostly the sales numbers of the first couple weeks that mattered. And that most titles sell the majority of their copies during that period. Which always seemed to me a bit of a weird way to judge a games success/failure, but if that was how the industry worked so be it.

Given the huge amount of hype and pr that went into the DX:HR release, is 2 million in 6 months even good? For WItcher 2, those would be great numbers, but HR has already had so much money spent on it.

It's too bad that these military shooters do so well and everything else seems to tank. Mostly because I have less than zero interest in them.

But geeks like to play war, I guess.

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.