What are you playing now?

Get some $2 Arctic Silver thermal paste and reseat the heatsink. What is this, amateur hour?

I neva dun it before boss.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

How the mighty have fallen :lol:

Hey I'm master gamer extraordinaire, I leave all the grubby work to the grubs.

Jokes aside, i was under the impression that its beyond repair, but I'll try the paste thing anyway.

can't you get an 8800gt for super duper cheap nowadays? won't that still run pretty much every game out right now? it might not be on the best settings, but its still playable.

could be wrong. i am not super pc savvy, i just buy what people tell me to when its time to upgrade.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

If it works but craps out under load, it sounds like an overheating problem. You could also try blowing out all the dust. From my experience chips either die or don't, can't vouch for all the other thingamabobs on the card, though.

Well I ordered some Arctic Silver Matrix (was the only one available), the card is super clean so if this doesn't solve it nothing will. If the paste manages to drop the temperature 10c I think it'll be fine.

It basically goes from 45-50c when doing nothing to 85-100c when in game, and after 95 it craps out usually.

It craps out in say Painkiller after 20 minutes, but can run Oblivion for as long as you like.

can't you get an 8800gt for super duper cheap nowadays? won't that still run pretty much every game out right now? it might not be on the best settings, but its still playable.

I'll have to, if the paste thing doesn't work :rolleyes:

Spent all night playing Metal Gear Solid 5. And now I'm at work with bloodshot eyes drifting off at my desk.

Have the same problem I always have with stealth games. I spend too much time savescumming, not enough time progressing. 5-6 hours and I beat one level. And I think I'll be replaying that whenever I next meet the criteria of being conscious and at home.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I've been comparing screenshots of Age of Conan to Warhammer Online since they apparently came out the same year and I'm quite surprised how bad Warhammer looks. I wonder what they dumped the enormous budget on since it is, except for the characters, in every other respect - worse than WoW.

As for a direct comparison to AoC, that would be an insult to the game.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

I've been comparing screenshots of Age of Conan to Warhammer Online since they apparently came out the same year and I'm quite surprised how bad Warhammer looks. I wonder what they dumped the enormous budget on since it is, except for the characters, in every other respect - worse than WoW.

Well, One thing that warhammer did really well was 'public quests' which WoW caught onto like 2/3 years later.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I think I remember reading that Age of Conan got a graphical overhaul.

Well, One thing that warhammer did really well was 'public quests' which WoW caught onto like 2/3 years later.

They are a good idea, yes.

I think I remember reading that Age of Conan got a graphical overhaul.

Maybe, I dunno. The expansion looks absolutely gorgeous, with first class graphical design [in the screenshots].

The people at Funcom know what the word moderation means, and obviously cracked open a few history books for inspiration.

<<< is kinda sick of the over the top designs of most fantasy games

I agree Age of Conan looks gorgeous. I've got a pretty nice rig, but I am having some performance issues with it. Still, when it runs smoothly it makes me feel like I stepped into Robert E. Howard's book. I broke down and bought the Rise of the Godslayer expansion because I wanted to see the new city.

I know WAR was trying to capture the tabletop game ascetic, which is a bit cartoony to begin with. But it didn't help that the game just seemed unfinished, like they never got to polish it correctly. It's a bad start when you cut a ton of professions and starter cities a month before release.

I agree Age of Conan looks gorgeous. I've got a pretty nice rig, but I am having some performance issues with it. Still, when it runs smoothly it makes me feel like I stepped into Robert E. Howard's book. I broke down and bought the Rise of the Godslayer expansion because I wanted to see the new city.

I know WAR was trying to capture the tabletop game ascetic, which is a bit cartoony to begin with. But it didn't help that the game just seemed unfinished, like they never got to polish it correctly. It's a bad start when you cut a ton of professions and starter cities a month before release.

What are your specs? And on what settings are you running the game on?

The tabletop is reflected in the character models [inspired by the minis], but the environments are not something Games Workshop bothers with [for obvious reasons], or has even developed farther than a few artsy pictures and some fortifications. They had plenty of space to go crazy but the world design looks really weak, blocky and lacks detail.

It does look unfinished and what they dumped the money [supposedly up to 200 mil USD] on is a real mystery.

I also don't think it helped that most of the source material are pseudo oil paintings and heavily detailed and ornamented characters. The first thing that crossed my mind when looking at the pictures in the art book is that:

a) they're impossible to convey in game with current MMO tech

b) they aren't suited to game design with its overtly detailed and cluttered aesthetic

Example:

Witch_Hunter_concept_art.jpg

Looks nice on paper, but you can see [below] that in game it melds in a ****ty brown mess unless you go crytek on it and draw every single thing - which you're not going to do in an mmo.

WitchHunter.jpg

Conan got it right. Simple clear lines, without too much detail.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

Had an amazing game of CS 1.6, dominated a server full of good players 25-5 in frags.

Surprised at my own success really.

Part of it is surely switching to low sensitivity style play and my Steelseries 9HD mat, one of the rare "gaming products" I've bought that actually improved my performance in game.

Tried the SM demo too.

Frankly, gameplay is somewhere between 'uninspired' and 'dull'.

You're not exactly overwhelmed with colours either, and the environment seems a wee bit more rectangular than I'd like to. Sounds are okay tho.

I liked the demo. Thinking about buying the game now. Probably not on release though, but with the first steam special sale, which shouldn't take too long to come.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

normally i'd skip a game that has you play as an ultramarine, but i just realized, if they actually implement a power fist in the game (one that is capable of ripping a hole in a tank) i would want to check that out.

any word on the powerfist? the single most ridiculous weapon ever conceived?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

normally i'd skip a game that has you play as an ultramarine, but i just realized, if they actually implement a power fist in the game (one that is capable of ripping a hole in a tank) i would want to check that out.

any word on the powerfist? the single most ridiculous weapon ever conceived?

Power axe is there, so a power fist wouldn't be far-fetched.

i guess im expecting a powerfist. my concern is that it will not be "lore appropriate" in strength.