Happy Independence Day

Monte Carlo

"You're still on about that film? It was crap in 1996 and it's still crap now."

ID4 was a great movie in '96, still is a great move in '11, and will be a great movie in '46.

HH, btw, is awesome! HULKAMANIA 4 LIFE!!!

As for taking Kanadian hockey teams... just recently, Kanada returned the favor and took an Amerikan hockey team.

P.S. I wish my country was as free as Amerika. We are still legally obliged to kiss the monarchy's ass and it is absolutely disgusting!!!! o:):x:x:x

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Reason # 1 I hate independence day, my ****ing neighbors buy enough firecrackers to blow their own house and spent until the daylight setting them on. Which mean that my entire evening consist of fighting the urge to buy a shotgun and consoling my dog who's terrified by the sound. Happy ****ing holidays o:)

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Sadly, firecrackers on a country's national celebration day isn't just an Amerikan tradition. We got stuck with it too on Friday. o:)

Reason # 1 I hate independence day, my ****ing neighbors buy enough firecrackers to blow their own house and spent until the daylight setting them on. Which mean that my entire evening consist of fighting the urge to buy a shotgun and consoling my dog who's terrified by the sound. Happy ****ing holidays :sorcerer:

4th of July is Hell on Earth day for dogs. :lol:

Monarch's got personality. Personality goes a long way. :sorcerer:

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Reason # 1 I hate independence day, my ****ing neighbors buy enough firecrackers to blow their own house and spent until the daylight setting them on. Which mean that my entire evening consist of fighting the urge to buy a shotgun and consoling my dog who's terrified by the sound. Happy ****ing holidays :sorcerer:

I suggest you calm him down the same way I calm down. Find him a rare steak, have him drink a bottle of wine, and have sex with a (in his case a dog) lady. He will soon come to look forward to 4th July!

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The American War of Independence was a civil war. Period. The separatists won and forged a superpower, but please don't suggest it was an 'American' war or sense of identity in the way it is now commonly bandied about.

On a side note, I once visited the Alamo. The place was defended by Brits, goddamit, loads of them with English, Welsh and Scottish names.

sonsofgygax.JPG

It was a WOI fought against a tyranny. The British were master scumbags and got exactly what they deserved. It was most defiinitely an Amerikan War fought for indepdenence. Don't try to change history.

It was a WOI fought against a tyranny. The British were master scumbags and got exactly what they deserved. It was most defiinitely an Amerikan War fought for indepdenence. Don't try to change history.

Right and it had nothing to do with taxes or the great american expansionist thirst. Please Volo don't spew propaganda you're above that.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Are Britons nowadays still educated that the British Empire only brought good deeds around the world?

That's like Germans trying to vindicate the advances the Nazis brought in medicine, engineering etc.

No, we're educated that we were like the Roman Empire. We brought good things and bad things.

But everybody likes to make cheap shots and only talk about the bad things, and make the case that everyone that wasn't the British Empire were pure and white and totally concerned with goodness on their side...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

But everybody likes to make cheap shots and only talk about the bad things, and make the case that everyone that wasn't the British Empire were pure and white and totally concerned with goodness on their side...

Heh funny, it's exactly Brits (okay, Londoners) I met that always were convinced that "they" were superiror in any way while mainland Euros were "backwards".

Of course it's these same people who had jobs here in Austria for 10 years as English teachers and whatnot and still haven't really bothered learning German. How very backward indeed.

If it wasn't for the English you'd all be French.

-Elwood Blues

Muffins vs. bread. Tough call.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Although the brits could have easily ended the War of Independance if their commanders had pushed the matter early on rather than kept trying to find peaceful solutions.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Although the brits could have easily ended the War of Independance if their commanders had pushed the matter early on rather than kept trying to find peaceful solutions.

It is amazing that they lost. What was the finest military at the time vs a ragtag mob backed by almost zero industrial might.

It always amuses me the way history twists..

The French King provided money for weapons to the Americans.. mostly as a way to aggravate the English.

But the very success of the American Independence... helped inspire the revolution in France.

Edit: And they originally based Mel Gibsons character on a real guy..until they realised the rapes and brutality to slaves that the historical one committed might be classed as "not-quite-heroic" so they decided to go the fictional route..

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

No I'd still speak Spanish because you bloody English chickened out and traded Havana for Florida. I could had been bloody Welsh, you bastards! :verymad:

Edited by Orogun01

village_idiot.gif

The American War of Independence was a civil war. Period. The separatists won and forged a superpower, but please don't suggest it was an 'American' war or sense of identity in the way it is now commonly bandied about.

It's a fair point to call it a civil war. A large group of people descended mostly from British settlers who thought of themselves as British citizens revolted because they weren't given the rights and respect that they felt were owed to them by the Crown (e.g., the sorts of things that England itself had had a civil war about a century earlier). It wasn't a native people kicking a colonial power out-- the colonists were too effective in killing and/or displacing the natives for that to happen. It wasn't even much of a "revolution," in that the people who in fact ran things in the States were pretty much the same people who had done so in the Colonies before the war.

I don't quite know what you mean by "sense of identity," though. I certainly wouldn't load it up with the sorts of baggage that comes with the term "American" in the early 21st Century, but a lot of the elements that would develop into what we call the American character, polity, and whatnot drew influence and inspiration from the Revolution and its leaders. A good part of American identity comes from it being the first effective large-scale republican governmental system built on the intellectual principles of the Enlightenment. Foundational myths (and truths) can be powerful things.

On a side note, I once visited the Alamo. The place was defended by Brits, goddamit, loads of them with English, Welsh and Scottish names.

Brits who didn't want to live in Britain anymore.

Are Britons nowadays still educated that the British Empire only brought good deeds around the world?

That's like Germans trying to vindicate the advances the Nazis brought in medicine, engineering etc.

You are a troll and I claim my ten pounds. Comparing the British Empire, even warts and all, with the Nazis is idiotic.

sonsofgygax.JPG

"Although the brits could have easily ended the War of Independance if their commanders had pushed the matter early on rather than kept trying to find peaceful solutions. "

Excuses Amerika makes all the time in regards to wars that didn't go there way. ie. The US dominated the Vietnam wars if you look at pure military might but Amerika as a country didn't have the political will to push through just as with British. Bottom line is the settlers wanted their freedom more than the British wanted to control them in the end.

"Comparing the British Empire, even warts and all, with the Nazis is idiotic."

You British Empire apologists are hilarious. Are you aware of the evils the BE inflicted on a huge part of the world during their time as THE superpower? Stop making excuses for them like they are some goody two shoes. You are just as bad the people who want to reinvent the indians into some type of passive peace loving hippy passivist group who were anti violence. L0L

You are a troll and I claim my ten pounds. Comparing the British Empire, even warts and all, with the Nazis is idiotic.

Still living in denial? Is it true the Queen wears a diamond stolen from India in her crown named "Spoils of war"? How very tasteless.