Movies you've seen recently

Gorth

MAD starring Billy Zane. Weird little horror zombie movie. Zane does a great job as I've never seen him in a role this. Humour is offbeat but hit or miss. 7/10

I'll never understand what happened to Billy Zane's career. He was making some great movies in the 90's, and then he just fell off the map and became a B-Movie star.

Judging by his IMDB profile, it was the Phantom and Titanic that were his last real films.

But he's done a LOT of other work... Right now (according to that) there are 11 movies of his that are in Post Production.

He probably got hit by something similar to what happened to Segal... although he didn't become fat, and unable to do his one gimmick while stroking his ego.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

It's almost like the Titanic ended his career, which doesn't make a lot of sense. Maybe it was because he played a total douche. I liked him in the Phantom, but I think that may have bombed at the box office. My favorite movie I've seen him in was a Tales from the Crypt full length feature film. He played a demon and was fantastic.

I love Billy Zane, but imo he's always been sort of a B-movie or cult/TV actor. The few roles in the bigger "A" type films were mostly small, and The Phantom, as noted, flopped badly. For some reason he's never gotten a lot of recognition by casters I guess. Loved him in Demon Knight & Dead Calm.

I've never heard of MAD - I'll have to look for it. I'd love to check out an odd little horror film w/Billy in it. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It's almost like the Titanic ended his career, which doesn't make a lot of sense. Maybe it was because he played a total douche. I liked him in the Phantom, but I think that may have bombed at the box office. My favorite movie I've seen him in was a Tales from the Crypt full length feature film. He played a demon and was fantastic.

He's in that sniper movie with Tom Berenger, it's so bad it's good.

sonsofgygax.JPG

In Bruges.

My god what a lovely made film. I totally loved it. It is European cinema at it's best.

And quite encouraging after the :ermm: that was Sucker Punch.

It's a British film set in a European city with two Irish actors.

Do you actually contend that Britain isn't a part of Europe? :lol:

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Not a movie but I've been watching some of the Slayer anime series on Netflix. Started because I wanted to see something else Crispin Freeman had done :) but once I could ignore some of the annoying squeaky voices and certain animation aspects that I dislike it's a cute, goofy series. Slayers:Revolution is more entertaining overall from the get go, but the last half of Slayers:Evolution-R isn't bad either.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Not a movie but I've been watching some of the Slayer anime series on Netflix. Started because I wanted to see something else Crispin Freeman had done :bat: but once I could ignore some of the annoying squeaky voices and certain animation aspects that I dislike it's a cute, goofy series. Slayers:Revolution is more entertaining overall from the get go, but the last half of Slayers:Evolution-R isn't bad either.

SQUEEEEE

I love Slayers.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The humor is really great. Off to watch a couple more episodes right now. :thumbsup:

X-Men First Class.

Extremely disappointing considering everyone pretty much hounded me to go see it because they said it was awesome. Honestly, the story was great, I loved the characters, just the action sequences and the look of the thing just alternated between dull and stupid. Serious action sequences felt like campy comedy bits. I was in stitches when Magneto did his barbwire thing, and when Azazel ripped off Bartelby from Dogma. They felt like the kind of jokes that would have fit in Kickass more than a serious film. And the CG was the worst I've seen in quite a while, but along with that the pracitcal effects also looked lame. The prosthetics on Beast and Mystique and especially Azazel looked like they were wearing five dollar halloween masks. And that bit with Angel attacking on the boat, what was that about? Nobody has made a sequence look that dumb since low budget movies stopped using Stop Motion.

It's great that movies are paying more attention to story and characters, but they shouldn't forget the other side of coin. Suspension of disbelief only holds up so long when things are just looking very stupid.

Still, Magneto was great. Too bad his big confrontation with Sebastian Shaw was such a boring dud.

Harry Potter: The Deathly Hallows part 2 -

I enjoyed the books, but this might be the first of the movies that eclipsed the reading. As a series of movies, I thought the first was good, but the next few dragged a bit. Starting around the 5th movie though, they began to get better with each one. The acting really hit its stride as these young characters began to be fleshed out, and the themes began to be a bit more mature. Also, the person in charge of casting in these films deserves a bloody Oscar, it has been perfect from start to finish.

Now the 7th film set the stage for this finale, and a few complained about it, but what it allowed the 8th to do was be an absolute thrill ride from start to finish. It was an epic conclusion. Both the last book and this movie made me emotional at a certain point, and that is always a plus in my book.

The book and the movie share the same events, but I would even go so far as to say the way they were presented in the movie versus the book left me in a more positive mood.

So I'd just say it was a great ride, from movie 1 to 8, and it ended phenomenally.

I saw that Saturday. I thought it was good. However, I can't imagine having seen it without having been familiar with the books. There's a lot of callbacks to previous stuff that, if you'd missed, you could be rather lost. It worked well when I read through the entire series in a couple of weeks. I can't imagine having to follow the movies as they release and keep the stuff fresh that you would need.

I'm probably just overthinking that.

X-Men First Class.

Extremely disappointing considering everyone pretty much hounded me to go see it because they said it was awesome. Honestly, the story was great, I loved the characters, just the action sequences and the look of the thing just alternated between dull and stupid. Serious action sequences felt like campy comedy bits. I was in stitches when Magneto did his barbwire thing, and when Azazel ripped off Bartelby from Dogma. They felt like the kind of jokes that would have fit in Kickass more than a serious film. And the CG was the worst I've seen in quite a while, but along with that the pracitcal effects also looked lame. The prosthetics on Beast and Mystique and especially Azazel looked like they were wearing five dollar halloween masks. And that bit with Angel attacking on the boat, what was that about? Nobody has made a sequence look that dumb since low budget movies stopped using Stop Motion.

It's great that movies are paying more attention to story and characters, but they shouldn't forget the other side of coin. Suspension of disbelief only holds up so long when things are just looking very stupid.

Still, Magneto was great. Too bad his big confrontation with Sebastian Shaw was such a boring dud.

agreed

also the wirework was pretty shabby. someone would get hit, pause for a second, then fly through the air suddenly

:)

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Forgot to mention. At Harry Potter, I saw the Dark Knight Rises Teaser and the Sherlock Holmes Trailer. Good to see that Sherlock Holmes 2 will get a release this year. DKR won't be ready until 2012.

The teaser for DKR was pretty disappointing. Bunch of footage from previous flicks with some barely intelligible voiceover. Looking forward to the flick, but I'm thinking Avengers is going to be my most anticipated of 2012.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The teaser for DKR was pretty disappointing. Bunch of footage from previous flicks with some barely intelligible voiceover. Looking forward to the flick, but I'm thinking Avengers is going to be my most anticipated of 2012.

You're probably right. I think I was excited to see anything at all.

X-Men First Class.

agreed

also the wirework was pretty shabby. someone would get hit, pause for a second, then fly through the air suddenly

:banghead:

I watched it again and couldn't help but notice that the Angel fight, dispite how they shot it, felt REALLY slow. Not in terms of the coreography or anything, but when they were flying I felt like if they had been on land there would be cars trying to zip around them.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

not a movie, but recently i finally got around to seeing what all the fuss was about with The Wire

first season seemed okay, and just finished the 2nd season

can't help but think the entire premise for the 2nd was really stupid - police captain gets grumpy at a guy for donating a window to a church :p

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Insidious.

At the theatre.

Had my eyes half closed most of the time. Didn't fall asleep until 4 am.

I swear I could see old ghoul ladies in wedding dresses in dark corners, all night.

Scary stuffs.. :)=

J.

First Prometheus shot

5962536492_2f46f18348_z.jpg

Requesting permission to squeal like a fangirl.