Portal 2

Humodour

It's fun that Valve's really good games; Portal, Left 4 Dead etc. were all made by people outside Valve who were assimilated into the company. But its Valve who gets all the credits for being inventive and awesome.

It requires awesomeness to recognise true innovation.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

It's fun that Valve's really good games; Portal, Left 4 Dead etc. were all made by people outside Valve who were assimilated into the company. But its Valve who gets all the credits for being inventive and awesome.

It requires awesomeness to recognise true innovation.

The only true innovation Valve ever touched was Portal.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

and it wasn't an original game to begin with

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Ahh, innovation.

Now let's talk about things that are epic and next-gen!

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Im just saying Valve didnt do it. They saw some guys doing cool ****, bought them up and sold their game with a big VALVE logo on the box. No balls necessary.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Well, why didn't other devs saw those same guys doing cool **** and buying them up first?

^^

Also:

I like how the worms are crawling out of the woodwork to bag out Valve for having the balls to run with something completely different.

Isn't that par for the course?

Edited by Nepenthe

Im just saying Valve didnt do it. They saw some guys doing cool ****, bought them up and sold their game with a big VALVE logo on the box. No balls necessary.

Well, why didn't other devs saw those same guys doing cool **** and buying them up first?

Digipen has their campus in Redmond, while Valves main office is a stones toss away in Bellevue. Valve guys probably went to the digipen expo and liked Narbacular drop so much they hired the guys to do Portal.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I don't know the gory details but it seems to me that Valve brought personality and storytelling to Narbacular Drop's mechanics, without GladOS, cake and Still Alive I couldn't imagine Portal being a success, so they really did more than just slapping a Valve logo on the tin.

I don't get all the hate for episode 2. The only flaw I can possibly think of for it is that it's still a Half Life game. It still uses physics puzzles and it keeps the same basic feel. Maybe that feels stagnate for some but I look at it and see perhaps the best pacing and storytelling for any shooter that I've ever played.

Everything was beautiful. Nothing hurt.

Digipen has their campus in Redmond, while Valves main office is a stones toss away in Bellevue. Valve guys probably went to the digipen expo and liked Narbacular drop so much they hired the guys to do Portal.

Sounds reasonable enough to me.

Bellevue is quite nice by the way... I felt the need to share that.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Even they admit that that was how they found the guys and hired them.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I love it how you guys still try to package this as being somehow sinister. FFS, this is how the software business should work, find interesting independent project, fund it, proft. Next you guys'll be praising Bobby Kotick as a visionary to me.

It's fun that Valve's really good games; Portal, Left 4 Dead etc. were all made by people outside Valve who were assimilated into the company. But its Valve who gets all the credits for being inventive and awesome. I mean, they probably are awesome compared to corporate slaves like DiCE, but.. things are.. you know?

Doesn't seem like an accusation of anything sinister. Never did get the Valve infatuation but, ah well. I should really get around to playing Portal, if the sequel has got people this excited surely the first game must be good :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I don't know the gory details but it seems to me that Valve brought personality and storytelling to Narbacular Drop's mechanics, without GladOS, cake and Still Alive I couldn't imagine Portal being a success, so they really did more than just slapping a Valve logo on the tin.

Pretty much, Valve is buying up talent, not IPs like certain other companies...

Sometimes it's nice to have a polished game with an interesting story rather than just a tech demo with a cool mechanic.

Edited by Purkake

I love it how you guys still try to package this as being somehow sinister. FFS, this is how the software business should work, find interesting independent project, fund it, proft. Next you guys'll be praising Bobby Kotick as a visionary to me.

I'm not saying it's something sinister. Sure I used slightly different language than would be the norm, but it's not like they were trying to hide the fact they simply said "Oh hey, these guys are doing something cool! QUICK HIRE THEM!" And it is a good thing that this sort of thing happens. It's not like we're back in the 90's and 80's where a game studio was three guys in a garage hammering out a game in 2 days.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I just completed the single player mode, brilliant pacing of humour and gameplay all the way through, there's not many games that can make me laugh these days but I was giggling all the way, sharp stuff.

*edit* It has a satisfying ending too. :lol:

Edited by WDeranged

Finished it today. I think the ending was great. The middle / half of the game was a bit meh and somehow too long or too much the same... but the ending is done very well once again.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Finding out how to break all the monitors is an interesting puzzle in its own right. Too bad it takes you until the final third to start doing them. I missed two or more last run through.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

• 2 weeks later...

Finished SP. Wow what an amazing game.

Finding out how to break all the monitors is an interesting puzzle in its own right. Too bad it takes you until the final third to start doing them. I missed two or more last run through.

I got 'em all. That one in the last test chamber (with the 3 turrets and the blue gel) was really really difficult.