Dragon Age II Has the Best Writing since PS:T

Didn't Bethie win some sort of industry writing award for either Oblivion or FO3?

The standards are pretty low.

Maybe it does have the best writing since PS:T.

Unlikely to have BETTER writing THAN PS:T though.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Are you unfamiliar with the meaning of that phrase? It's not a statement of equivalence with.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

he claims DA2 has better writing than any other CRPG released in the past 10 years? this is BS of course

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

he claims DA2 has better writing than any other CRPG released in the past 10 years? this is BS of course

Maybe. It's not exactly a crowded field of candidates for the awesome-rpg-writing-award though.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

DA2 had some good writing, sometimes even strong, but nah, the best writing since PS:T comes from MCA himself, Alpha Protocol.

I agree with you, AP is probly the only game that has successfully pulled off the dialog wheel.

Not to say that DA2 didn't have it's moments but I believe that's true of every BW game. Long periods of tedium which delve into hit/miss moments.

DA2 did a lot things right in terms of C&C, my only complaint is that you have to play a horrible game in order to experience them.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

AlphaPHAIL has bestw riting/ LMAO Now, if you Obsidian fanboys had pointed out the awesomesauce that is MOTB then I could be on your side but AP? BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! :biggrin: Some of the worstw riting EVAR. I'm talking DTU, POR2, and EOTB bad.

As for DA2... well, imo, the quality of it writing is pretty much BIoish. if you hate BIO's writing you will likely hate DA2 writing if you love BIO writing you will love DA2 writing. Just that simple.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Well, that didn't long to summon him.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Dragon Age II Has the Best Writing since PS:T

LOL just LOL

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Sure did.

You had a childhood...

I thought you were the eternal 'Volourn' !

I don't think that DA 2 writing is bad... But, it's not the best writing I've seen in a game, but then again Heavy Rain won a bafta for best story, and that whilst not bad, wasn't exactly award worthy.

It's a funny old world.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

AlphaPHAIL has bestw riting/ LMAO Now, if you Obsidian fanboys had pointed out the awesomesauce that is MOTB then I could be on your side but AP? BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! :biggrin: Some of the worstw riting EVAR. I'm talking DTU, POR2, and EOTB bad.

As for DA2... well, imo, the quality of it writing is pretty much BIoish. if you hate BIO's writing you will likely hate DA2 writing if you love BIO writing you will love DA2 writing. Just that simple.

I dunno about DA2, since i haven't played it yet. But i think that Alpha Protocol had pretty damn good writing and dialogue, the gameplay on the other hand....meh.

Maybe you confused it with story? Since that was quite underwhelming. For example, Blade Runner didn't have an excellent story (A guy hunting cyborgs), but it had excellent writing ('Tears in rain').

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I dunno about DA2, since i haven't played it yet. But i think that Alpha Protocol had pretty damn good writing and dialogue, the gameplay on the other hand....meh.

Maybe you confused it with story? Since that was quite underwhelming. For example, Blade Runner didn't have an excellent story (A guy hunting cyborgs), but it had excellent writing ('Tears in rain').

What you "think" does not matter. We are talking cold, hard facts here. r00fles

Blade Runner had an excellent story called "Do Androids dream of electric sheep" I don't know what you are talking about.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Fanboys are delirious, news at 11.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Hauer ad-libbed the last few sentences of that sequence.

But that was for soundtrack purposes, the song was awesome. Vangelis FTW.

Morgoth, get in here and defend your avatar.

village_idiot.gif

Heh, Volly has never really played AP yet he's free to spew his lies. But oh dare us who barely played DA2 to crush it down, we gain Volley's eternal wrath.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Hauer ad-libbed the last few sentences of that sequence.

Thus, making him an even greater actor than he already was. But really, the movie had excellent writing, direction, cinematography, acting, pacing, soundtrack and theme. But the story was as basic as it is: A guy hunting cyborgs during the course of a couple of days and finds out more about himself.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

2enuv4g.jpg

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die."

I've always loved that. Sci-fi babble and adlibbing mixed into emotional climax. Oscar worthy scene for sure.

Back to the topic. Is there some bulletproof definition what "writing" means in context of games? Sometimes people confuse "writing" with "storyline" or are those two inseparable. Or is the "writing" same thing as question - What is a RPG? You get 100 different answers from 100 different people.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

2enuv4g.jpg

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die."

:mellow::teehee:

village_idiot.gif