Dragon Age 2

Gorth

"One friend even jokingly referred to it as a "homosexual date sim" because every possible male character hit on him."

Your friend is lying.

"Btw apparently a Bioware employee wrote an overwhelmingly positive review for Dragon Age 2 at some game site or other, while posing as a journalist"

Is this the BIo employee who gave the game a 10 on metacritics as a user review? If so, that's not 'posing as a journalist'. L0LZ

you're right, one of the male members of your party do not...Varric...he doesn't hit on the females either. Every other male hits on you however...unless you have the DLC with Sebastian, I believe he's only for the females.

Every other male hits on you however

Yeah, Anders and that other guy. You don't have to flirt back though.

I suppose if one is the type to freak out should a guy hit on them, then DA2 could very well seem like a "homosexual date sim", as moronic as that is.

Every other male hits on you however

Yeah, Anders and that other guy. You don't have to flirt back though.

I suppose if one is the type to freak out should a guy hit on them, then DA2 could very well seem like a "homosexual date sim", as moronic as that is.

It's an equal opportunity dating sim, Merrill and Isabella/female options. Anders and Fenris the male ones.

Although it's a little disturbing that every male companion in a BW game is able to switch teams so easily. No qualms or feelings of awkwardness, they are just ready for the PC to start swooning them.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Well, in bioware's defense it's a pretty pragmatic way to deal with complaints about which character's can romance which characters and what not.

Just make everyone romancable by everyone. Problem solved.

It also shows that Bioware does put a pretty high imporatnce on the romance aspect of their rpgs now, which one may or may not think is a worthwhile investment of developer time.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Sex is such a cheap way to induce immersion and more than not they fail at making the romanceable characters interesting. Probably because a bunch of fatties working 80 hours a week in a cubicle can't be expected to know what romance; or human relations for that matter, is. No offense to anyone.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Sex is such a cheap way to induce immersion and more than not they fail at making the romanceable characters interesting. Probably because a bunch of fatties working 80 hours a week in a cubicle can't be expected to know what romance; or human relations for that matter, is. No offense to anyone.

Bioware does seem to like making it into a sex/romance minigame, but a lot of their fans really seem to enjoy it, so its hard to criticize Bioware directly if they are simply providing what their fans desire.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

"1. These guys escaped Fereldan by deserting against the darkspawn invasion, are they really going to take on a fortress of enemies?

2. There wasn't any real sign that they were being mistreated, they weren't supposedly starving or anything like that. They were even promised passage on a boat, granted it was back to Fereldan. But is the city of Kirkwall the only place in the entire world?

3. I had to kill these guys, and it was literally treated like I just cleaned out rats from a cellar. We couldn't get them to surrender or something? It just sets an odd tone, like it's no big deal to go around killing folks. I guess I'm spoiled by games that make this stuff somewhat meaningful."

While I agree that i wish there was more to this scenario and handled smoother but to make it seem ml;ike DA2 is off on this comapred to other games is a little off as well sicne the way DA2 handles it is basically the norm. Afterall, in BG2, you can mass kill the city mage police force and eventually (after 3 or so attacks) stop caring that you are brekaing their laws. (though in BG2's defense at leats unlike majority of games, it tries to handle it).

The templar-mage thing in act 3, I cna't say much since I'm early in act, but the first two acts aren't too bad.

That said, there are more than a few scenarios where you cna avoid combat.

P.S. Sex in DA2 is a very minor part of it.If youa rgued romance you mgiht have a point - then again, in the grand scheme of things - romance is still a small % of the game. But, the sex part is like 10 sec per romance option max so not exactly tkaing up a lot of time. Plus, another couple of 'sex scenes' as well. Consideirng the game is about as long as DA1 9for me) - I'm at 50+ hours already - it is minisucal.

P.S.S. There are plenty of things to criticze DA2 for, and I gotz a whole list of them but sex being a 'vocal point' is not one of them. Sorry.

"Every other male hits on you however..."

fenris never hit on me. Anders hit on me once and I told him no thanks and that was the end of that. Carver never hit on me either. Varric didn't nor did Sebastien. So.. out of 5 joinable characters, I got 1 guy who hit on me once and there's the potential for a 2nd. Why the exaggeration everybody?

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I had obnoxious Anders hit on my character, but I never noticed Fenris hitting on him. I did notice an option for Hawke to hit on Fenris though...

The Bio employee who reviewed his own game is a massive tool. One of the lines in his review says that anyone who said anything negative about the game was exagerating.

“The immersion and combat of this game are unmatched! A truly moving and fun epic, Anything negative you’ll see about this game is an overreaction of personal preference. For what it is, it is flawlessly executed and endlessly entertaining.”

Yes... I was truly immersed in the world after visiting 15 separate caves that all looked identical.

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

"Please show me how I 'hate' them by quoting my article. Stop talking the talk and walk the walk if you are going to toss unfounded accusations."

You cna't hide behind *snip double speak*

Translation: I can't. EoD

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

Actually in Baldur's Gate 2, Cowled Wizards send their best to stop you. First 5 groups of no names, but with increasing difficulty (some waves might have been identical, never checked their levels from the scripts). Last 6th (or was it 7th total, can't remember) battle is fun with named mob Zallanora and few others. I think she cast at least 2 time stops + other fun spells. IIRC she is the leader of the whole group. Irenicus wipes some of the Cowled Wizards in Spellhold and makes the leader of that place insane so no help could come from that place either. I guess only high level Cowled Wizards left are those in goverment building (I don't think I never tried to kill 'em too). Guards are also fun to fight (if you happen to have really low rep).

The way Bioware designed even small details like this in Baldur's Gate 2 (a huge improvement from Baldur's Gate and the infinite respawn trigger Flaming fist guards) is something I'd like to see in their modern games too. Then again Bioware does it's best to distance their recent work from the Baldur's Gate 2...

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

I, for one, welcome more and more male characters hitting on a male protagonist just to laugh at the reactions of the so-called (by themselves, on the Bio forums) oppressed white straight gamers. :ermm:

:)

Or to hear about the gay agenda of gay Gaider....

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

The entire issue has become morbid, with anyone over 15 laughing at the idiocy that Bioware indulges in. Its not the great masses of fans demanding romances in general and gay ones in particular - but a small and almost fascist group of rejects that endlessly spam the Bio forums with demands on one hand and veiled threats and screams of discrimination on the other.

Besides making so many characters bisexual is equal parts stupid and unrealistic all on its own.

If you can't dedicate enough time to optional content to make it decent then don't ****ing include it.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

The Bio employee who reviewed his own game is a massive tool. One of the lines in his review says that anyone who said anything negative about the game was exagerating.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Guest Slinky

Some Israeli website interviewed DA2's lead level designer and someone traslated it in the pit of madness, aka bioforums. Here's one part of it:

Q: Could prolonging development time for the game result in a better variety within the city itself and avoiding reused areas, as seen in the game?

A: Obviously, more time would enable more areas and bigger variation. Honestly, we did not expect this to be such a big deal, but it seems the subject gave rise to a significant number of complaints by both critics and players alike. We listen to the reviews and we will try to address the issue in future games.

This from the lead level designer..? The rest of it is in here.

Q: Blood Magic is a forbidden art in the world of DA2, but the main character uses it freely during the game against civilians and Templars. How is that logical?

A: Well, sometimes you have to give up perfect inner logic to make the game more fun. This is one of these cases. Anyway, this can be explained by the fact that the champion is someone who can do whatever he wants. No one is bold enough to lecture him about that. This is kind of like when the authorities ignore certain crimes because the criminal's aid is of great importance.

Bethesda called. They want their level designer back.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Some Israeli website interviewed DA2's lead level designer and someone traslated it in the pit of madness, aka bioforums. Here's one part of it:

Q: Could prolonging development time for the game result in a better variety within the city itself and avoiding reused areas, as seen in the game?

A: Obviously, more time would enable more areas and bigger variation. Honestly, we did not expect this to be such a big deal, but it seems the subject gave rise to a significant number of complaints by both critics and players alike. We listen to the reviews and we will try to address the issue in future games.

This from the lead level designer..? The rest of it is in here.

He's was being extremely evasive during the interview. Bioware's failure to acknowledge the game's flaws (or any of their games) is what pisses me off personally. No humility at all.

If they just said: oh we screwed up, but we'll do our best to fix it next time, - that would at least be a sign of the right attitude.

But no, every design decision, no matter how obviously stupid it is will be defended to the last.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

ahaha, this page just made my day :ermm:

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I've been trying to avoid spoilers for the game (so I can explore it all at my own pace) but when I first played DA2 and saw that they were reusing maps I thought there'd be a number of people who didn't like it.

Personally, it hasn't effected my enjoyment of the game at all.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I, for one, welcome more and more male characters hitting on a male protagonist just to laugh at the reactions of the so-called (by themselves, on the Bio forums) oppressed white straight gamers. :ermm:

The simple solution to that is not to buy Biocrap. There all kinds of other benefits to that as well.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

It's such a minor part and can be easily ignored.

doesn't a game stop being an RPG when you ignore such things? I mean, try playing through it without paying attention to any dialogue. what will you get? a crappy party-based crawler, not exactly a fun- and not exactly a role-playing experience -_-

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Sure, I thought when Anders suddendly kissed me I had to facepalm

Suddenly? You led him on and you know it.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

we did not expect this to be such a big deal

If that's the case, then Bioware teams don't communicate at all because same lesson was already learnt from Mass Effect and fixed in Mass Effect 2. Not only they do not communicate, but they don't even bother to follow the development of their own brands. Also it's not like this is some hidden knowledge anyway. Bethesda got same critique from Oblivion (maybe bit more understandable in sand box worlds).

Blizzards original Diablo team was probably one of the first development teams who seriously wanted to avoid this. They went so far that they'd rather randomize dungeons rather then repeat 'em. And they managed to create (or at least popularize) whole new genre while doing it.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.