Dragon Age 2

Gorth

You don't think that peasants would say "hey, hang on, maybe we should target the lightly armoured target who is capable of attacking from range that also seems to be using powerful magic"....?

No, that's exactly what I'm saying, and what they do. If you alpha-strike them with your mage, they will move their aggro to the caster. I, and I believe other people, were talking about the way the enemies initially prioritise the heaviest armoured fighters, instead of directly going after the unarmed and -armored guy. :)

am not recalling fighting peasants in da:o. please identify some o' those battles. we fought lots o' darkspawn, which is mindless but functionally programmed with appropriate battlefield tactics by some greater power or entity. am not recalling the militant peasants, save for arguably one battle in lothering. regardless, given the pervasive fear o' mages/magic that exists in the da world, am expecting that a person walking 'round with mage robes and an over-sized "walking stick" might as well be painting a bulls-eye on his chest. battle starts and there is an inexplicably unarmed person standing in back o' the warriors, raising his glowing walking stick and making obscure gestures? yeah, is real tough to wrap mind 'round notion that such a guy would be the prime target for every enemy on the battlefield.

*snort*

allowing the unarmed guy with the mage robes and walking stick to simply wander 'round the battlefied, untouched, makes complete sense. in nep's world o' endemic downs syndrome victims, is reasonable and right that during a battle any person not wearing heavy armour should be treated like a referee on a football field. no?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Compared to whom?

Black Isle for instance. or Squaresoft, Enix, Atlus.

or, I don't know, Microprose, Sir-Tech? :sorcerer:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Clearly argumenting for something that doesn't bother me and bothers other people isn't going to work. I'll yield before my colleague this time. :sorcerer:

Also, this reminded me of Sorophx's frequent statements:

Magician.gif

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Even the new Jagged Alliance game is ditching turn-based. It'll suck. I mean really suck. Every JA-themed game after JA2 has sucked as people try to bend the core principle of the game to their will, the core principle being that it's a hyper-tactical squad-level, turn-based wargame. It's a testament to the elegance of the design and story that people actually miss that.

Nonetheless, even I (up here in my Grognard Lair in the backwoods) accept that TB is dead in WRPGs, and as I don't play JRPGs I haven't played a turn-based game since TOEE (which had great TB combat).

Dragon Age: Origins had pretty good combat, one of the more satisfying RtwP systems I've seen although it's integration with the clunky skills / class overlay left much to be desired. But it was definitely on the right track, DA2 could have nailed it but instead they've chosen to make a console Ren Fair dating simulator.

Nevermind, others will pick up the torch, I think Europe is the last bastion of old-skool games development now.

sonsofgygax.JPG

what an interesting read! thanks ;)

speaking of turn-based squad-based, I really want to try Frozen Synapse >_<

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

The specs for DA 2 is out.

Chris Priestly mentions them in this thread:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/260/index/5473672/1

You can also see them here:

Recommended:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz Processor or equivalent

CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 Triple core 2.8 GHz or equivalent

RAM: 2GB (4 GB Vista and Windows 7)

Video: ATI 3850 512 MB or greater

Video: NVIDIA 8800GTS 512 MB or greater

DirectX 11: ATI 5850 or greater

DirectX 11: NVIDIA 460 or greater

Minimum:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo (or equivalent) running at 1.8 GHz or greater

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 (or equivalent) running at 1.8 GHz or greater

RAM: 1 GB (1.5 GB Vista and Windows 7)

Video: Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB

Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS 256 MB cards

Disc Drive: DVD ROM drive required

Hard Drive: 7 GB

Sound: Direct X 9.0c Compatible Sound Card Windows Experience Index: 4.5

And DA 2 will alsp support DX 11, it seems.

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

oh, my machine is better than the recommended settings demand, I wonder why it's so hard to run games released in 2009 and 2010...

Walsingham said:

as if any encounter in any BioWare game was ever better than those in IWD >_<

Walsingham said:

I can hardly complain about enemy AI in DA:O when similar games like all Infinity Engine/Aurora Engine ones had similar or even worse AI. :ermm:

Sure, if they had competent AI anywhere, and it got worse I can. But the last 'revolution in AI' was Oblivions horrifyable try, and I much rather have brain-dead NPC's than ones that actively try to do everything bad.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I'd imagine that even commoners would be taught to recognize magic-users by their toothed-condom hats.

I reinstalled DA:O the other day. I looked much better than I imagined in places. The wizard's robe, for example, had some very detailed but understated pattern on it while the armor that the soldiers at Ostigar wore looked both bulky and functional.

Then I my PC got an enchanters arming cap, aka the toothed condom. I struggle to understand how someone designed that, created the art assets, and QA people dressed their mages in it without someone going, "WTF is this?"

At least it's original and not a clich

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

The females look like cheerleaders who lost their pompons.

And this bothers you because? :p

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I don't understand how the design for Dalish leather armour passed. The females look like cheerleaders who lost their pompons.

Elves dressed in leather cheerleading outfits.

That sounds like someone's fetish. I may not be able to appreciate it, but I can imagine someone going, "I know this looks horribly unrealistic but it gets me off. It worked for Soul Caliber, didn't it?"

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I kinda wonder if someone who worked on the elves in DA had played FFXI. One of the Dalish elves are called Mithra (which is a race in FFXI) and the Dalish outfits with the top and bare stomach kinda looks like the Mithra's starting gear in FFXI.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

i can't believe they are expecting people to preorder by next week if they want the full game with all the characters.

i'm getting pissed off just thinking about it and if they keep up these shenanigans then i'm just going to skip the game for two years until the ultimate edition comes out with all the dlc included.

/rant. sorry everyone.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I kinda wonder if someone who worked on the elves in DA had played FFXI. One of the Dalish elves are called Mithra (which is a race in FFXI) and the Dalish outfits with the top and bare stomach kinda looks like the Mithra's starting gear in FFXI.

Or it could be that they are Zoroastrian and decided to put their deity there, specially since everything in FF is a rip-off from someone else pantheon.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

i can't believe they are expecting people to preorder by next week if they want the full game with all the characters.

I havent followed DA2, are you saying that if you dont preorder the game you will be forced to buy some of the NPC's as DLC? Or you wont be able to get those NPC's at all? Elaborate please.

I havent followed DA2, are you saying that if you dont preorder the game you will be forced to buy some of the NPC's as DLC? Or you wont be able to get those NPC's at all? Elaborate please.

Sounds like there's a Stone Prisoner/Zaeed type scheme going on, nobody really knows what the extent of it is (the listing for "exclusive" content in the Signature edition is kind of vague - some of you might remember how a lot of people were under the impression that the Cerberus network was exclusive to the CE?), and unlikely anyone will until the release date.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif