Bioware's New Game

Gorth

co-op campaign for the third chapter in a trilogy of single player rpgs?

it would be like if return of the jedi had been originally released as an animated musical.

splinter cell conviction side story coop stuff? well... i guess that could be ok, kinda like the star wars xmas special :(

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

it would be like if return of the jedi had been originally released as an animated musical.

This. A co-op campaign is beyond stupid.

Well, ME3 MP could be as good as GoW

I seriously doubt that. GoW was made Epic, a company that's been making MP games since 1998. It's sort of like expecting Dice to release a great RPG.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

splinter cell conviction side story coop stuff? well... i guess that could be ok, kinda like the star wars xmas special :(

I was more thinking the co-op missions from Chaos Theory (never did play Conviction) which were literally a **** ton of fun.

If it's a co-op campaign, it's just going to be "control these other characters in your party" which makes the fact that it happens in the third chapter irrelevant because it wouldn't have an impact on the story.

Maybe you are anti-social types, but virtually every gaming experience I have had is made superior when I get to play with friends through the campaign. It's not a deal breaker, but I can't think of a time it actually made me enjoy a game less.

If it's a co-op campaign, it's just going to be "control these other characters in your party" which makes the fact that it happens in the third chapter irrelevant because it wouldn't have an impact on the story.

only if the second player can join at any time (and the idea of a split-screen in ME is just horrifying)

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

All platforms the game will be made for will have internet connectivity.

I agree though, only if the player can join in at any time. Having said that, I'm skeptical that they'll do that unfortunately. If there's any sort of co-op MP it'll probably be tangential (if it involves a story) or it will be something else.

"I seriously doubt that. GoW was made Epic, a company that's been making MP games since 1998. It's sort of like expecting Dice to release a great RPG."

Illogical. Before BG, BIO had never made a RPG so going by your idea BG was destined to suck yet BG is one of the most popular RPGs ever. Lack of doing something previously does not mean insta fail.

Or else the medical docs would have mega failed making their first game and they would have remained nobodies.

*shrug*

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I seriously doubt that. GoW was made Epic, a company that's been making MP games since 1998. It's sort of like expecting Dice to release a great RPG.

I think it's just a matter of resources. BioWare has the manpower and EA will be willing to put money in the developement. And ME is using the Unreal Engine (like GoW), which supports multiplayer and even co-op. I don't see the problem with co-op. The host will play Sheppard and two other players can join to play the companions.

I think it's just a matter of resources. BioWare has the manpower and EA will be willing to put money in the developement. And ME is using the Unreal Engine (like GoW), which supports multiplayer and even co-op. I don't see the problem with co-op. The host will play Sheppard and two other players can join to play the companions.

Unnnnlikely.

If there's going to be multiplayer, it's going to be straight out of the CoD/MoH team/progression military shooter book, probably with an entirely different progression etc.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Fend off hordes of aliens with your friends.

Deathmatch.

Capture the flag, or something similar.

Stuff like that are likely to be a given.

I highly doubt we will see anything story related having anything to do with multiplayer.

Unnnnlikely.

If there's going to be multiplayer, it's going to be straight out of the CoD/MoH team/progression military shooter book, probably with an entirely different progression etc.

Unlikely maybe. But from a technical point of view, co-op would be realizeable.

And if there's going to be multiplayer, a rank and perk system is a given, I think.

Illogical. Before BG, BIO had never made a RPG so going by your idea BG was destined to suck yet BG is one of the most popular RPGs ever. Lack of doing something previously does not mean insta fail.

It had FR licensing and plenty of discs which made it difficult to pirate.

I'm sure it sold well compared to other rpgs but I wouldn't exactly say it was popular.

I'm sure it sold well compared to other rpgs but I wouldn't exactly say it was popular.

Yeah, let's call the CRPG that saved the genre "not popular". Baldur's Gate was massive success back in the day. Over 2 million copes sold and that was when game budgets were 1/10th of modern game development budget.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Funny but I didn't see any of that.

For all the buzz it had at release none of my friends stuck with it, unlike other RPG we played for years.

After BG2 came out the hype was non-existent and I had to be literally blackmailed into playing it.

That's your personal experience - the BG series was well marketed, given good shelf space, sold well for its time, gave Bioware its reputation, and was in every sense of the word a successful franchise.

BG2 was huge, stellar reviews, dozens of awards. definitely wasn't small. it also paved the way for better games like Torment and IWD2

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

My circle of friends doesn't dig games like CoD: Black Ops, but that doesn't mean I don't recognize it is a phenomenon. BG was gigantic for the industry.

The point isn't that our circle didn't dig BG1.

The point is for many it was first contact with serious RPG game and it failed to spark any long term interest.

Fallout was far more successful despite having to stand only on word of mouth.

And I never claimed that game engine was not reused plenty of times but as far as industry influence goes I doubt BG1 comes close to the likes of Ultima Online.

yeah, I meant the series, the infinity engine to be precise

Walsingham said:

The point isn't that our circle didn't dig BG1.

The point is for many it was first contact with serious RPG game and it failed to spark any long term interest.

Fallout was far more successful despite having to stand only on word of mouth.

And I never claimed that game engine was not reused plenty of times but as far as industry influence goes I doubt BG1 comes close to the likes of Ultima Online.

Again, I can't see anything here that supports the argument that BG wasn't "big".

Obviously it can't contend against, say, the combined influence of the Ultima series, but it certainly was extremely successful and is one of the landmark franchises - one that could easily attract huge hype with a rebirth (please, no).

one that could easily attract huge hype with a rebirth (please, no).

ahaha, come on! :) it could be interesting

Walsingham said:

Again, I can't see anything here that supports the argument that BG wasn't "big".

What I was trying to say isn't that the game wasn't big but that it wasn't very good.

Even as first attempts go there were far better games produced at the time.

What I was trying to say isn't that the game wasn't big but that it wasn't very good.

I hate it when what I say is something very different from what I mean to say.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I hate it when what I say is something very different from what I mean to say.

Maybe because gamer popularity isn't the same thing as initial sales?

Plenty of games have immediate success and no long-term support.

Some games (whether they deserve it or not) are almost worshiped and thus suppoerted for decades.

Latest 50 cents game may sell by bucket load but I doubt anybody will bother with it further down the line. If I'm buying a game like Torment that is still moded after many years I know people found it good regardless of sales it had.