RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Maria Caliban

That's why I really like the new artwork. Lara looks like a human being now. Hope thay can also translate this into the ingame model.

nailed it :lol: the cartoony look was ok for the first game, but sticking with it for so long... god, what were they thinking?! >_<

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

They were thinking "it's the playstation." Then "it's the playstation 2." Those were realistic graphics for the time. Underworld is notably better looking than Legend and Anniversary before it.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Hopefully CD keeps using the great engine. Legend, Anniversary & Underworld ran silk smooth even on my subpar computer.

I don't think so. The engine needs upgrades for rendering a huge island alone. Plus the graphics of TR:U looks dated.

IIRC they're using it for Deus Ex: HR, though, so there's been constant work on it, at least.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Nope, Bioware will make MP-only RPGs..or something.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Why link Jim Sterling commentary and not the actual CVG article?

I rarely have ever played online MP games. Offline MP games with friends, yeah. And a handful of direct MP online games with people I knew and nobody else.

But I really don't have an interest in playing video game with other people by and large. I don't want to deal with cheaters, griefers, people who don't think I play good enough for their 1337 skills, people who play 100 hours a day and complain if I don't, etc, etc, etc.

I've been thinking of leaving Video Games behind. Its an expensive hobby/entertainment. And frankly everything going to MP would be a good excuse to get out.

Wasn't it EA (and THQ) who was wanting to nerf multiplayer content for used game buyers as well? I'm sure they'd love all the extra income if all they do is multiplayer games...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I've been thinking of leaving Video Games behind. Its an expensive hobby/entertainment. And frankly everything going to MP would be a good excuse to get out.

I've thrown around similar thoughts (more so these past few months). But they'll have to kill SP portable games first.

I like some portable games...but honestly I haven't really been wowed by the portable games I've played. Enjoyed em, sure...but I don't think to the point I couldn't give it up.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

EA: Singleplayer games are finished

Translation: Bioware is finished?

If EA is getting out of SP, then good riddance.

A long inteview with Yu Suzuki : http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3182648

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3182650

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

EA: Singleplayer games are finished

Translation: Bioware is finished?

They mention the online connectivity/"social" gaming aspects as an example of what they mean - these are already present in DAO, strangely absent in ME2. Really well done in the new Need for Speed, though.

So I wouldn't take it to mean multiplayer only - not just yet, anyway.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

i'll leave gaming once good games stop coming out. this year I liked/loved starcraft 2, fallout new vegas, red dead redemption, civ 5, and mass effect 2. I also really liked heavy rain and am looking forward to alan wake.

how many of those is EA responsible for? 1? I think i'll be ok if they want to make multiplayer only games (even though thats not what i think they were trying to say, i think they were trying to say that all their games will have some sort of after purchase purchase potential (ie subscriptions, dlc, multiplayer etc)

which is stupid imo, the CoD crowd is too busy playing CoD and halo to bother playing Mass Effect: Online. Just like the WoW crowd is too busying playing WoW to play any other paid mmo games (which is why they nearly all are dwindling/dying/switching to no subscription)

it's funny, ten years ago I was guessing that games would keep getting shorter and shorter so they could sell more and more of them, instead the games stay the roughly the same length but they keep adding paid dlc (which has higher profit margins). doesnt bother me, i don't buy much dlc... but I would if it were of higher quality (ie once the profit margins are smaller because they have to spend more dev money to make dlc that's actually worth the cost)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Well that's so cheesy it must be real. Woo, free Zerg. Hm, so now that they're getting the Horde treatment, maybe WoS ? Heh.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I've said it twice already.

I like it.

I just think the last line about a monstrous zombie-like race whose only purpose is to overrun the galaxy living in peace needs to be changed. I can imagine it now, man and zerg, united, walking on the same street and holding hands!

Although the soundtrack in the cutscene is a song from the first Transformers Movie, so that kinda makes it suspicious.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

It's not unheard of to use that kind of thing for temporary soundtracks. I'm not naming any names, but I know of a well known CGI company that, on at least one occasion, cut the CGI from a game they worked on into an overly long movie trailer format using music from the first Transformers movie. For internal use only, of course. It may have been the same song as this one.

Edited by Tale