RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Maria Caliban

One of my other favorite devs, id Software was aquired by Zanimax/Beth earlier. I can't decide yet whether its a good thing or a bad thing. One thing I consider bad about it is that id will no longer be licensing their engines to other devs and all upcoming idtech 5 games will from devs working under Zanimax.

How this would affect Obsidian for better or worse... :x

One thing I consider bad about it is that id will no longer be licensing their engines to other devs

That's not a given - it's just that other devs will have to go through Zenimax to get the engine. Zenimax isn't stupid, they're not going to sit on idTech when they can be making money off of it.

Could be worse. Could be Sega or EA or at the very worst Activision.

Agree on Sega or Axivision, disagree on EA.

Besides, this might mean Bethesda will stop making Elder Scrolls/FO games themselves and let competent people handle them.

As if.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

What's the problem? Bethsoft seems like a good publisher. Compared to those other guys.

Not dissing on Bethesda as a publisher, they seem more passionate than the average editor (people from marketing asking to play the game? Seriously?), but I like the variety of licenses and gameplays Obsidian produces in its current form. Tale sums it up nicely :

They wouldn't be a mere publisher. They'd be the owner. Get to direct what games Obsidian works on. If they say Obsidian works on Fallout games, and only Fallout games, for the rest of its existence, that's what Obsidian would do. In my mind, that's a worst case scenario, but not too far detached from my fear. As it stands, I like that Obsidian has worked on (or is currently working on) an RPG of seemingly every genre and subgenre except MMO and turn-based. Party based, open world, dungeon crawler, shooter/cinematic. I would personally hate to see them delegated to work on only a franchise or only a particular type. As would be relatively inevitable as the owning company would like to play it safe.

It's a single line from a rumour section of a video game magazine. That's like a triple-whammy of credibility right there. :p

Everyone knows that it's not an unlikely turn of events, and that's about as much as whoever wrote it knows, as well.

Hey, we are on the boards where speculations about Square Enix's next project being an Obsidian game were on based on a Square Enix guy following Feargus Urquhart on twitter -_- . Well, our local supplier was right in that regard, but that doesn't mean we should pay credit to other things!

Some more Tomb Raider info copy & pasted from another forum

- Lara is 21 in this game

- It's not only a reboot of the franchise but a reboot of the entire brand. As a result there will be no "real" Lara model this time.

- They're doing performance capturing with this game

- There are brutal deaths in the game this time. One is described as a deranged man stabbing Lara in the chest and then closing her eyes after she's dead. Another includes a boulder falling on her leg to trap her before another falls and crushes her head.

- CD won't talk specifics on weapons but concept art shows a bow, shotgun and pistol

- The lock on targeting system is gone and it now has a free aim system. CD says that it can compete with any of their competitors.

- "I think that the major difference between this game and the old is the concept of smoke and mirrors," begins Darrell Gallagher, the studio head at Crystal Dynamics. "There was an illusion of freedom because of streaming and loading that would pop you out in a different location, but this is absolutely real. You can literally go any direction that you see and carve your own way to the finish line instead of being guide."

- "It was important in the game to not only deliver the character arc of Lara Croft emotionally, but to deliver it in gameplay as well so the player gets to grow into a hardened survivor," says experienced director Noah Hughes. As the game unfolds, Lara will scavenge new tools and gear that augment her abilities. Lara's athletic prowess will also evolve. Some areas begin inaccessible due to physical limitations or scarce supplies. With the right skills and gear, however, the island is Lara's for the taking.

- There are base camps in the game. Here you can combine items to create something new and access a skill system to upgrade Lara's abilities. You'll also be able to use base camps to fast travel to different locations to minimize backtracking.

- You'll need to gather food and water in order to survive

- There are humans in the game, including some of the crew members from the shipwreck off the coast of the island.

so, they're making an action RPG? -_-

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

- There are brutal deaths in the game this time. One is described as a deranged man stabbing Lara in the chest and then closing her eyes after she's dead. Another includes a boulder falling on her leg to trap her before another falls and crushes her head.

This game will remind me of Heart of Darkness at this rate -_- .

so, they're making an action RPG? :p

In the vein of Jedi Academy, probably.

Rebooting Lara Croft makes about as much sense as rebooting Mario at this point. Though I guess if they're wanting to take it a dark and edgy direction, maybe it makes a little more sense.

Still, she was never a character in need of a dramatic storied history. Just a vehicle for shooting at dinosaurs and raiding tombs.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

she was never a character in need of a dramatic storied history. Just a vehicle for shooting at dinosaurs and raiding tombs.

but it wouldn't hurt to add some depth and drama to her story, right? I mean, I've only played the original game, I liked it, but I never felt the need to try other titles.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

she was never a character in need of a dramatic storied history. Just a vehicle for shooting at dinosaurs and raiding tombs.

but it wouldn't hurt to add some depth and drama to her story, right? I mean, I've only played the original game, I liked it, but I never felt the need to try other titles.

I dunno, do you think Mario needs to have a game that revolves around his tragic drinking problem?

Drama is the new sex. Cheaply insert it into something and it's miraculously 'better.'

Edited by Tale

I dunno, do you think Mario needs to have a game that revolves around his tragic drinking problem?

haha, actually, I do ;)

but, I don't think comparing Mario to Lara is fair. the games have a decade between them.

Walsingham said:

**** gets released in march.

Almost five years after the original jp release.

Day one for me

As for Tomb Raider, color me interested. Finally a whole island to explore instead of linear climbing sites.

Same. I've never cared for TR but I'm interested in seeing how this turns out.

Edited by Syraxis

I enjoyed the first Tomb Raider, didn't care for two or three and stopped at that point.

Dunno if the reboot will regain the interest the first title had.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

i've never played tomb raider, but i'm casually intrigued by this reboot. an entire island to explore and survive through? if its Uncharted meets Metroidvania/arkham asylum, then i'm downright enthusiastic.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

There's plenty of drama in Angel of Darkness & Legend/Underworld. It's good they're going back to the lone adventuring from the pre-2000 titles.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

There's plenty of drama in Angel of Darkness & Legend/Underworld. It's good they're going back to the lone adventuring from the pre-2000 titles.

This is the thing I'm skeptical about. If they're doing a reboot, making note of her age, and facts like that, I'm inclined to believe they're doing anything but going back to and instead will just retread what Legend/Underworld did.

But maybe you're right.

Whoa, a rebooted Tomb Raider, keeping eye on that one.

Loved the first one, second was still good and then the nosedive started. When Legend was announced, I was pretty hopeful. The website even had the original TR theme playing in the backround so I thought they were going back to roots.

Then I got the game in my hands and lost all hope after the intro cinematic :lol: