RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Maria Caliban

wow, this might be the first Tomb Raider title in a long while that I actually will be picking up.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Though Darrell Gallagher, head of Crystal Dynamics, says we should "forget everything you knew about Tomb Raider" and that this is "an origins story that creates Lara Croft and takes her on a character defining journey like no other,"

Lara Croft's origin story is that she survived a plane crash with mommy when she was 9 and then mommy disappeared through the gates of oblivion after Lara triggered an ancient artifact. That's the reason why she started adventuring later on, mommy (& daddy) issues.

The previous time an attempt at re-imagining Lara Croft was made (Angel of Darkness), a development studio died.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I thought he said that she already had been a researcher at the time of the ship wreck. implying that we won't see a little girl but a young woman that lost her parents blah-blah-blah

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

finally, Stranger's Wrath for the PC!

Walsingham said:

Not that poor sod again. Lara has an interesting place in my gaming heart (next to Duke I guess :p)

None of her games were very good (even for her time) and yet it managed to hit some high points in nearly every game. She was always a medicore character yet her news still manage to draw my interest.

Who knows, maybe she will have a good romp this time. (Hah, who am I kidding :()

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

The last three were great. Edit: Not even counting 'And the Guardian of Light.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I disliked Legend, but Anniversary was pretty good. Underworld continued the rubbish plot from Legend and was ridiculously short, but it had Thailand & Mexico which were excellent levels.

Angel of Darkness... is kinda the Alpha Protocol of Tomb Raider games.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

OXM rumor: ZeniMax To Acquire Obsidian Entertainment

In the most recent issue of Official Xbox Magazine (January 2011), the Crystal Ball mentions a company that seems to be in the news a lot lately, ZeniMax Media, who has recently acquired many companies including MachineGames, Arkane Studios, and id Software. These have added on top of their major game development company, Bethesda Game Studios. Well according to OXM, whats the next company that they will be acquiring? Obsidian Entertainment, the developers of Fallout: New Vegas and Alpha Protocol among others. The question is, how far is ZeniMax going to take this? They seem to be gobbling up developers at a startling pace. We

Is the bottom the actual quote? That seems less rumor and more speculation.

I'd be ok with it.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I'd be ok with it.

This.

Srsly, [assuming this is true] who didn't see this coming?

Arg, I hope that's not true. The last thing Obsidian needs is BethSoft interfering with things. :x

What's the problem? Bethsoft seems like a good publisher. Compared to those other guys.

Edited by Syraxis

I don't see it happening, Obsidian has a deal with Square-Enix for DS3 right now. I don't know how it would really work for them to buy Obsidian. They might sign a bigger publishing deal, but an outright buy seems like an odd choice.

If it happens, it's good for Bethsoft.

It's probably good for Obsidian.

I'm skeptical as to if it's good for me.

What's the problem? Bethsoft seems like a good publisher. Compared to those other guys.

They wouldn't be a mere publisher. They'd be the owner. Get to direct what games Obsidian works on. If they say Obsidian works on Fallout games, and only Fallout games, for the rest of its existence, that's what Obsidian would do. In my mind, that's a worst case scenario, but not too far detached from my fear. As it stands, I like that Obsidian has worked on (or is currently working on) an RPG of seemingly every genre and subgenre except MMO and turn-based. Party based, open world, dungeon crawler, shooter/cinematic. I would personally hate to see them delegated to work on only a franchise or only a particular type. As would be relatively inevitable as the owning company would like to play it safe.

Well, will be good news for the Obsidian folk. But yeah, ehh to that.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's a single line from a rumour section of a video game magazine. That's like a triple-whammy of credibility right there. :x

Everyone knows that it's not an unlikely turn of events, and that's about as much as whoever wrote it knows, as well.

Could be worse. Could be Sega or EA or at the very worst Activision.

Besides, this might mean Bethesda will stop making Elder Scrolls/FO games themselves and let competent people handle them.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"