What you did today

Pidesco

I'm thinking of picking up some kind of hobby. Considering going games workshop and starting to paint little plastic men again (after 15 years). Chances of getting into trouble with women there, virtually zero.

You should learn to play the guitar with me. It is probably cheaper, and chicks dig musicians. Not so much for the painting plastic men.

Have to agree here; especially if you're over the age of 18.

Whats wrong with collecting and painting miniatures?... a035.gif

It doesn't exactly do anything for you, I mean sure, you can have fun with it...but there are plenty of hobbies that are more worthwhile.

Meh, I enjoy hanging out with some of the other wargamers, dicussing painting techniques and have a few games (and beers). People can keep their MMO's :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm thinking of picking up some kind of hobby. Considering going games workshop and starting to paint little plastic men again (after 15 years). Chances of getting into trouble with women there, virtually zero.

You should learn to play the guitar with me. It is probably cheaper, and chicks dig musicians. Not so much for the painting plastic men.

The whole reason for it is that chicks don't dig it. Right now, i need a (new) woman about as much as I need a hole in the head...

I'm 30 early next year. I can legally go back to doing stuff I want, with no need for dropping things to seem "mature" to tweeners. :)

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I'm 30 early next year. I can legally go back to doing stuff I want, with no need for dropping things to seem "mature" to tweeners. >_<

Ah, so you can start being "that creepy old guy" at the gaming stores? :)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I'm 30 early next year. I can legally go back to doing stuff I want, with no need for dropping things to seem "mature" to tweeners. :p

Ah, so you can start being "that creepy old guy" at the gaming stores? :shifty:

:lol: That it, this thread is over, Raithe wins! Too funnny.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'm 30 early next year. I can legally go back to doing stuff I want, with no need for dropping things to seem "mature" to tweeners. :lol:

Ah, so you can start being "that creepy old guy" at the gaming stores? :shifty:

That's me!

Hey, I tried being normal, but the society wouldn't let me. Now I'll go back to being creepy.

Edited by Nepenthe

It doesn't exactly do anything for you, I mean sure, you can have fun with it...but there are plenty of hobbies that are more worthwhile.

I say the same about console gaming. :shifty:

Whenever I hear 'normal' in the context of personal hobbies/activities, I always remember MacCauley's response in Heat to Hanna's query about leading a 'normal type life'

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well had one of those great nights of total insomnia.. ended up reading through a few old JT Edson westerns in between bouts of attempting to sleep...

Started off a slow sunday, the snow and ice seems to be melting so the streets are no longer as dangerous.. made an attempt at some work but had a fun headache kick in. So I've kind of spent the day popping aspirin and worked my way through the last half a dozen shows of Remington Steele for light entertainment..

I say the same about console gaming. :thumbsup:

Whenever I hear 'normal' in the context of personal hobbies/activities, I always remember MacCauley's response in Heat to Hanna's query about leading a 'normal type life'

Are you saying that PC gaming is more worthwhile than console gaming? I don't understand that.

Anyway, if you're already "wasting time" playing video games, your next hobby shouldn't be painting miniature figures. That's all I'm saying.

Are you saying that PC gaming is more worthwhile than console gaming? I don't understand that.

Anyway, if you're already "wasting time" playing video games, your next hobby shouldn't be painting miniature figures. That's all I'm saying.

Nope, was a joke on saying someone else's chosen activity isn't 'worthwhile'. Painting miniatures is a decent creative outlet, I might take that up as a full hobby I'm..ehh..attempting to make a cool looking Apothercary for Deathwatch. So far a lot of attempts have ended in failure :thumbsup:

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

And for something that has me a little flabbergasted.. my sister just dropped by to ask if I wanted to watch a dvd she's got for a few days..

The bit that has me flabbergasted is that its a dvd one of her friends picked up for their son as a christmas present..but they've been lending to their friends before they get around to wrapping it up.

Now I've heard of people picking up cd's as presents but making a copy for themselves, but that just seems to reach a different level of twistedness.

Now I've heard of people picking up cd's as presents but making a copy for themselves, but that just seems to reach a different level of twistedness.

Actually, making a copy of a CD and then giving it as a gift sounds terrible. That pretty much misses the whole spirit of gift giving.

Actually, making a copy of a CD and then giving it as a gift sounds terrible. That pretty much misses the whole spirit of gift giving.

Yes, but my meaning was while it's one level of cruddyness to copy a cd.. to lend out a present you got for your son just takes it to something way more twisted.

Pretty odd, they can just lend it out after giving it to their son after all - assuming he's a kid/teen.

There are worse things that a parent can do to their child, like getting them a f***** DVD for Christmas.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Nope, was a joke on saying someone else's chosen activity isn't 'worthwhile'. Painting miniatures is a decent creative outlet, I might take that up as a full hobby I'm..ehh..attempting to make a cool looking Apothercary for Deathwatch. So far a lot of attempts have ended in failure :p

I probably should have elaborated that it also gives me the opportunity to do some gaming with some of my friends who i don't get to see too often and who also happen to be (re)lapsed gamers. So it also gives me a female free hobby, but also gives me the excuse to do some beer & pretzels with a couple of good friends every now and then. :p

Also, having trouble following Krookie's train of though. Are you saying that I should start volunteering at a soup kitchen? Are YOU? :p

Edited by Nepenthe

One of those days where for no apparent reason I am in a really foul mood. Trying to stir the christmas spirit and not snap at everybody.

On a side-note, got a powerball for wrist/forarm exercise. Supposed to be good for battling off any effects of repetitive strain syndrome and the like. Gyroscopic wonders for making your forearm muscles feel as if they're wrapped in fuzzy wool.

One of those days where for no apparent reason I am in a really foul mood. Trying to stir the christmas spirit and not snap at everybody.

Try liberal amounts of bourbon in your coffee/tea. It always works for me.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

One of those days where for no apparent reason I am in a really foul mood.

Sounds like someone's got a case of the Mondays.

So today was the day that employee annual appraisals are released to staff at my agency. My performance is assessed in 8 competencies, with 4 ranks in each (basically, Lousy, Average, Above Average, and Really Good). I think my boss did a pretty good job in noting my strengths and weaknesses, but it came out a little odd and in a way that kinda screws me. I rated "Really Good" in 3 categories (the ones about critical thinking, research, and writing) and "Average" in the other 5, with no ratings in the "Above Average" category. I can't really complain about this-- I think it's an accurate reflection of my work, as I didn't do anything particularly memorable in the other 5 areas (like "Working Collaboratively," "Oral Communications," etc.) this year.

But, as I said, I am now kinda screwed. I have enough seniority to apply for a significant promotion. (Basically, a "career ladder" type promotion-- a step in a progression, e.g., Assistant Bricklayer, Bricklayer, and Senior Bricklayer. I'd get a new title, higher pay, with pretty much the same duties and marginally more responsibility.) My boss knows this and has generally expressed support, leading me to believe that I would get it when I applied. But there's some fine print in the official order on promotion that he might not be aware of-- one of the necessary qualifications to apply for the promotion is to have an "Above Average" rating on at least 4 competencies on your most recent performance appraisal. Which means that I can't apply for this raise until the next appraisal cycle. (Normally, that means 1 year, but there is a provision for a mid-year assessment if the employee is applying for a promotion more than 4 months after their last performance assessment.) And it's doubly frustrating because the Order doesn't give me any credit for rating "Really Good" in the 3 categories where I did exceed the baseline rating. I got the best possible aggregate rating that a person can without meeting the promotion qualifications-- someone who gets 4 "Above Average" ratings and 4 "Lousy" ratings is eligible, and I'm not. But, given the ultra-bureaucratic environment and work culture around here, the chance of an exception being made to the rules for my case is pretty much zero.

Now, if this rating reflects an honest assessment by my superiors that I'm not yet ready for this promotion, I can accept that (although some warning during the year that my work wasn't up to snuff would have been nice). But if it turns out that my supervisors just missed the fine print on the promotion qualifications and aren't yet aware that they're holding me back, I'm going to be pretty pissed. And now I have to figure out how to express this in the mandated "feedback session" in a way that doesn't sound entitled or condescending. I think I'll just say straight out, "I don't think I have grounds to complain about any of my ratings, but I am disappointed that this means that I can't apply for the [position title] promotion," and then read my boss's reaction to see if it surprises him.

I think I'll just say straight out, "I don't think I have grounds to complain about any of my ratings, but I am disappointed that this means that I can't apply for the [position title] promotion," and then read my boss's reaction to see if it surprises him.

This makes a lot of sense to me. Tread carefully though. Hopefully if the scores for this cycle can not be revised your boss will be inclined to grant you that mid cycle review.

Thomas Sowell

No, bourbon is awful in tea you have to use vodka.

I have field-tested this extensively, if you are going to drink bourbon at work become a lawyer or a doctor.

sonsofgygax.JPG

No, bourbon is awful in tea you have to use vodka.

I have field-tested this extensively, if you are going to drink bourbon at work become a lawyer or a doctor.

Lawyers don't drink at work, they do blow instead.