FO: NV (General Discussion)

Fallout 1 is silly from the opening video with silly dark humor before Perlman starts talking. The leather jacket is a nod to Road Warrior, and there's even easter eggs regarding it when talking to the Raider leader.

FO1 is probably the most serious of the games, but there's no mistaking that it still had its fair share of silliness in it.

So the opening video, a leather jacket reference and ron perlmans narration is enough to call the game "silly and ridiculous"?

If you'd like me to give a more than 5 second run down of the setting I would, but frankly I don't have the time to go home and load up the game just to find them all for you. Especially since you demonstrated a complete failure in reading comprehension as I did not indicate that Perlman's dialogue was silly. I was saying the very first thing you see in the game when you start playing is silly and full of dark humor. You know, the video clip that you see about our boys keeping the peace in Canada, and the absurdly silly pipboy caricatures hiding themselves in the vault? I thought you were a fan and all and this wouldn't have needed further elaboration.

Look, for some reason you seem to take offense to the fact that Fallout was, in large part, not an entirely serious game. I don't know why, but whatever. IMO the game was laden with dark humor and at many points in time, damn hilarious. It just wasn't as 4th wall breaking with pop-culture references (though those did still exist in the original) and some more absurdly silly scenes, and it did have a darker theme. Maybe you perceive dialogue options such as the conversation with Gizmo having "Could you repeat that, but this time speak closer to my lapel" as a serious response, but I don't. And the game is laced with stuff like this.

As for the leather jacket reference, it was more than the jacket as it actually affected dialogue in the game with a key NPC and let you pick up a different NPC all in the nod to the pop culture reference it was based upon.

Edited by Thorton_AP

And I like the companions but I dont know what triggers their quests. It would be easier if it was level-based like in BioWare games, now I dont really know if I will ever get the chance to play them

i have the impression it's a bit like Kotor2 (or other games w/similar) eg. it's influence. If you do something that a companion likes when they're in your party, they'll note it, and after a while when you talk to them, there will be more convo options or they'll say something new, until they give you a quest.

For example, when I

freed hostages from the Legion (& killed all the Legion), Boone made a comment that they deserved it/he was glad to witness it. When I 'talked' to him, much later, he went on and on about it before the dialogue options came up, & there was a new line or two.

But if you do one of those things a companion likes, there's no indication that I noticed like "Influence gained" in Kotor2 only a quick spoken line, so it seems easy to miss. (edit:)and of course if you stick with one companion a long time, you may finish a lot of things/quests that would be influence for other ones...

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

"Could you repeat that, but this time speak closer to my lapel"

that's my favorite line in the whole game, when I first saw it I couldn't stop laughing for 5 whole minutes :p

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I never said that Fallout is serious business. But saying that it's "silly and ridiculous" because of the elements here and there is just lol.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Oh another thing...by coincidence of timing, I entered the outskirts of Vegas and suddenly my companion kept saying "I knew you'd be the death of me" and "So this is how it ends". I ran around looting a hotel & exploring for 15 minutes thinking that he hated Vegas and that I was going to dump him if he was going to be this verbally morose every 30 seconds...and then finally I realized he had only 17 health left. Silly me. Got so used to his non-hardcore ability to pop back up full health that I never checked. LOL ... that's the best thing about companions imo, those funny little things they say.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Fallout 1 is silly from the opening video with silly dark humor before Perlman starts talking. The leather jacket is a nod to Road Warrior, and there's even easter eggs regarding it when talking to the Raider leader.

FO1 is probably the most serious of the games, but there's no mistaking that it still had its fair share of silliness in it.

So the opening video, a leather jacket reference and ron perlmans narration is enough to call the game "silly and ridiculous"?

The scoped magnum, the leather armor, the hockey mask, bottle caps.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

On the topic of Fallout and silliness. All Fallout games have dark humor and pop culture references. But this was something that came naturally the first time around. By the second game it became an obligatory feature, and by F3 and FNV it got grotesque.

Its exactly the same with Bioware and romances. It will probably be like that with the Witcher and nudity.

When you have to cram something in by default it tends to seem forced.

I'm with mkreku on this one - I was never a great fan of the Fallout universe.

I'm not even suggesting that it becomes grim and dystopic, I'm just saying FNV could have worked better for me with less silliness.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

A chunk of what seems "silly" to a lot of people is how the Fallout world uses the whole concept of.. everything is based around the 'traditional 50's view of what the future would be like'.. and how thats taken to a certain level of..caricature.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Fallout 1's silliness was abrogated to some extent because it was treated with a straight face in the world of the game, outside of easter egg encounters, anyway. 50's B-movie monsters created from radiation, giant ants and scorpions, two-headed cows, etc. Fallout 2 started the still-going trend of meta-commentary on the ridiculousness of some elements of the game. But all the games, including FO3, had pitch-dark irony in common, which runs through the whole Americana aspect of the series. Vault 11 is a perfect example. It's depressing but it's also quite comedic in a coal-black sort of way.

Can you place notes on the maps? I can place markers but don't see...

I can tell I'm going to be frustrated with 'quest overload' and running around in circles like a chicken with it's head cut-off, being unable to remember where NPC's are located.

the quest markers helped me a lot over the game's course. never had any trouble finding NPCs (unless the quest was bugged). as far as I know you can't place more than one marker at a time, but seriously, you don't need it

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I don't have issue with knowing what area the NPC is in, but exactly where in the area/compound etc. is another story. The areas are so huge sometimes I run around & run around because I can't recall if they're upstairs or in the left wing or the right wing or in this tent or that tent.

Oh well....yellow notepad time. Or stop solving side quests. ;p

the compass is very helpful in locating them inside a multi-storey structure. these bastards sure hate standing on the same spot :wacko:

Walsingham said:

Except of bottle caps and leather armor, never seen in Fallout 1.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

i think FNV falls squarely between fallout 1 and 2 in the silly realm, which is exactly where I wanted it to be. The game is not as good as fallout 1 or 2, but its close enough that I'm proud to call it a fallout game.

also: stalker and fallout are not the same setting and wishing fallout was more like stalker, a game that came out ten years later, is a little silly imo.

fallout is great in part because it has a unique setting, stalkers setting is cool too, but i wouldnt want the two combined, people asking for such are clearly not huge fallout fans and thus should be ignored and/or burned at the stake for heresy

:wacko:

love you guys

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Except of bottle caps and leather armor, never seen in Fallout 1.

Mad max stuff.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

"My, you look tasty." lol

Also, at least with a Luck of 5, the slots feel almost like real ones...while still losing overall, it pays out just enough for a long while to make you keep on hitting the lever. :wacko:

"Could you repeat that, but this time speak closer to my lapel"

that's my favorite line in the whole game, when I first saw it I couldn't stop laughing for 5 whole minutes :wacko:

Yeah it's probably my favourite too.

I never said that Fallout is serious business. But saying that it's "silly and ridiculous" because of the elements here and there is just lol.

I maintain that it is and it's part of what makes it so awesome. There's no shortage of stuff that is absurdly funny in that game.

"My, you look tasty." lol

Also, at least with a Luck of 5, the slots feel almost like real ones...while still losing overall, it pays out just enough for a long while to make you keep on hitting the lever. :wacko:

Yeah this does seem to be the case. I am guessing Luck 5 is fairly neutral. I was able to win in 21, but it didn't seem unnatural.

I don't have issue with knowing what area the NPC is in, but exactly where in the area/compound etc. is another story. The areas are so huge sometimes I run around & run around because I can't recall if they're upstairs or in the left wing or the right wing or in this tent or that tent.

Oh well....yellow notepad time. Or stop solving side quests. ;p

If you select a quest in your pipboy, it usually marks the next objective on your map.

speaking of wallpaper, these screenshots of people modding FNV did little to ease my bitter dislike of japanese cartoons

b995ddcb44418ad31724cf82bc71ef0f71e8c1fa.jpg

4cfff67e3ce5e0bde3c66b94d84dba494092cdd2.jpg

WHYYYYYYYY?!?!?!

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Because it's a transcultural, pastiche practice that is living testament to postmodern art...

...by which I mean boobies + cutesies.

Hey guys. Where can I find the menu screens as wallpapers?

Could you elaborate? What menu screens? Are you looking for something w/artistic rendering or just screenshots of them?