Afghanistan,

Orogun01

I'm hoping that these claims are dead wrong because if they are not this is a terrible practice.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?.../INF21F2Q9H.DTL

Could someone confirm or deny this?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

... wait, isn't homosexuality worth the death sentence over there?

EDIT: Read a bit further on. This is just dumb.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

The 'homosexuality' aspect of this is completely irrelevant.

Given that, it's essentially comparable to the myriad of Western countries with a low age of consent (Europe, Latin America, and developed Asia)

The only difference (and it's admittedly a big one) is that Western countries with these low age of consent laws have far stronger judicial recourse in cases of coercion and rape.

Age_of_Consent.png

Edited by Krezack

I know, I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy here. It's not like there's a lot to say about the rest apart from "This is terrible".

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I know, I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy here. It's not like there's a lot to say about the rest apart from "This is terrible".

They rationalize it as the definition of homosexuality being loving another man and they do not love the children. They just use them for their pleasure.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

I couldn't confirm it but I've heard similar. Certainly I've heard that prisoner cages frequently flare up into casual gay sex.

In fact the practice sounds more similar to the ancient Greek and Spartan habit than anything from the arabian peninsula. Yes, all you fans of 300, the Spartans were not just enthusiastic slave owners but systematic pederasts. Something that probably turns up in the director's cut just before they start kicking people into pits.

However, I'd definitely stop short of hating all Afghans if only for the simple reason that Afghanistan is currently just some lines on a map. The attitudes described here are probably local to certain provinces and ethnic groups. Not to say certain ****ing a-holes.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Is the Middle East not Asia? That's how we always classified it.

Also, we ran into similar stuff in Iraq though more often it was casual gay sex with men and not children. A common saying there was women are for children, men are for pleasure.

It's a bit of a gray area, you have the Arabian Peninsula, Asia Minor, India, and just a lot of other subcontinents or regions in the area. Heck, Europe isn't technically a continent either.

I always follow the orthodoxy of the Risk board game. Does anyone have a copy so we can settle this?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

What I find disturbing is that there is a knowledge of these practices among soldiers and there are no incidents of them trying to stop it.

village_idiot.gif

What I find disturbing is that there is a knowledge of these practices among soldiers and there are no incidents of them trying to stop it.

What would you have them do?

I don't know, what would most people do if they saw a man fondling a little boy? and I remark that these are people used to conflict with no fear to get into a fight, so why there hasn't been any incident? I find this apathy more disgusting than support.

village_idiot.gif

What would you have them do?

I don't know, what would most people do if they saw a man fondling a little boy? and I remark that these are people used to conflict with no fear to get into a fight, so why there hasn't been any incident? I find this apathy more disgusting than support.

They spoke up and that's how you have your article. I think you misunderstand the situation over there if you think that there aren't very specific rules that the troops must follow and we can't change their culture and beliefs through sheer strength of arms.

Free games updated 3/4/21

"What I find disturbing is that there is a knowledge of these practices among soldiers and there are no incidents of them trying to stop it."

They step in to stop it and they'd be accused of overstepping bounds and not respecting another culture's ways no matter hwo disgusting we/they feel about it.

It's a lose-lose situation. the saddest part of the whole article is the quote by one of the boys in question. Really, really sad.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I know that they have rules but it's a sickening thing that rules support this and that no one has been filled with enough indignation to stop this. I couldn't just stand by while this happens in front of me; rules or not rules, someone should had tried to intervene.

This whole thing has been under the banner of bringing democracy to the Middle east and yet we allow primitive and barbaric practices like these. Maybe it's not politically sound, or convenient to speak against this but some things shouldn't be left to compromise.

village_idiot.gif

I know that they have rules but it's a sickening thing that rules support this and that no one has been filled with enough indignation to stop this. I couldn't just stand by while this happens in front of me; rules or not rules, someone should had tried to intervene.

This whole thing has been under the banner of bringing democracy to the Middle east and yet we allow primitive and barbaric practices like these. Maybe it's not politically sound, or convenient to speak against this but some things shouldn't be left to compromise.

We cannot impose our own cultural morals on others just because we don't share those morals any more than we can force our religion on others just because we don't share their religion. We may not like it, but it's frankly none of our business. We may think our beliefs are the right ones, but I can guarantee that others disagree, and think their beliefs are the right ones.

I agree that a culture of pedophilia is revolting to me... but there are a lot more revolting things about Afghan culture, such as their dispicable treatment of women, that bother me more. Sadly, we can't change the way they treat their women, either. Only they can do that, and only through the evolution and maturity of their culture as it has more contact with societies outside of its own. Since we're talking about a tribal nation, that's not gonna be happening any time soon.

We cannot impose our own cultural morals on others just because we don't share those morals any more than we can force our religion on others just because we don't share their religion. We may not like it, but it's frankly none of our business. We may think our beliefs are the right ones, but I can guarantee that others disagree, and think their beliefs are the right ones.

I agree that a culture of pedophilia is revolting to me... but there are a lot more revolting things about Afghan culture, such as their dispicable treatment of women, that bother me more. Sadly, we can't change the way they treat their women, either. Only they can do that, and only through the evolution and maturity of their culture as it has more contact with societies outside of its own. Since we're talking about a tribal nation, that's not gonna be happening any time soon.

Hits the nail on the head.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

I disagree, I think that we should impose our belief on them and that we have been doing it. Are there not many movements for the emancipation for women in the area? Sometimes the only way that culture evolves is through conquest. It worked for the world before, we just need to jump start their evolution.

village_idiot.gif

I approve of your gutfelt indignation, believe me. But a thought occcurs to me: can any one soldier be sure any one incident is pederasty? Men east of Suez are just generally touchier feelier than we are to one another. I remember spending a full month in Thailand thinking EVERYONE was gay. It would suck to haul off and arrest someone who was actually being 'normal' with their nephew or whatever.

You must also keep in mind that something like this would need to be handled by Afghan law. No matter what you hear in the Guardian we're not the Cylons.

All the same, I agree that I'd find it hard to walk on by.

-Elwood Blues