gamescom screenshots

JJ Abrams really went nuts with it didn't he? :( Flare is usually avoided by cinematographers.

In some photographer circles, (good, artistic) lens flare is a major attribute. Not as much as bokeh, but...I've seen some pretty creative & often subtle uses of it in photos. imo it doesn't translate too well in games yet tho.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Those are projectiles launched by those skeleton guys in the corners. They're actually pretty mean because they track you very slightly, so you have to dodge around them while fighting stuff in the center of the room if you don't take out the guys on the corners.

One thing we've found with enemy spells is that it helps to make them a bit "over the top" visually so that the player notices them in the heat of combat.

One thing we've found with enemy spells is that it helps to make them a bit "over the top" visually so that the player notices them in the heat of combat.

This is true. Which is why it can look so garish in a screenshot. Often times in actual combat I'm too busy to notice specific spell effects. And then I die. lol

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Subtle visual effects often read very poorly during gameplay. The Devil May Cry series, which I personally believe is a fantastic action series, uses extremely large visual effects and I think it works well for them. When you see Dante's muzzle flash from his pistols in motion and aren't concentrating on them, you might not notice that they are literally the size of his entire body. But yeah, they really are that big. When you have characters at that scale, exaggerating the visual effects helps the player more easily identify what's going on in real-time.

I thought the first batch of screens looked good, but these look fantastic ;)

Second from the bottom is my new desktop... until the higher rez screens and official wallpapers are out, that is.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

I just hope these over-the-top sfx don't turn combat into complete clusterf**k. The higher level spell effects from Mask of the Betrayer (which, please keep in mind, had a pause feature) were often times intrusive and a detriment to the combat experience.

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Keep in mind that NWN2's combat was relatively languid in pace, due to the real-time turns.

Actually having said that I really have very little idea of what you mean by "the combat experience". I would think spell visuals would be the best thing about combat which prominently features endlessly recycled attack animations.

Edited by Pop

Keep in mind that NWN2's combat was relatively languid in pace, due to the real-time turns.

Yes, it's more languid, and has a pause feature, which gives you more time to figure out what's going on even when blinded by over-the-top spell effects (like meteor storm for example). Now, DS3 is going to have a faster pace, which gives you little time to figure out what's going on when bombarded by over-the-top visual effects. That's the problem. Over-the-top sfx got in the way of the more languid MotB combat, it might spell disaster for the faster DS3 combat.

Actually having said that I really have very little idea of what you mean by "the combat experience". I would think spell visuals would be the best thing about combat which prominently features endlessly recycled attack animations.

Well, I don't mean just the visual aspect when I say 'combat experience'. I mean combat as a whole (mechanics, visuals, animations etc.).

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Well NOW I understand why people said it looks like a PS2 game! ;)

Beautiful, Obz! Just beautiful! You got me sold on this one for the visuals alone. Still can't wait to see gameplay and the UI, but these are really impressive.

I've played every Dungeon Siege game on the PC, but I can't for the life of me see how Osidian can ruin this franchise with what they're doing so far. Unless DSIII changes mid game into CoD: Black Ops.

Well NOW I understand why people said it looks like a PS2 game! ;)

Beautiful, Obz! Just beautiful! You got me sold on this one for the visuals alone. Still can't wait to see gameplay and the UI, but these are really impressive.

I've played every Dungeon Siege game on the PC, but I can't for the life of me see how Osidian can ruin this franchise with what they're doing so far. Unless DSIII changes mid game into CoD: Black Ops.

Who told yo- oh wait, you just guessed. :-

Let me get back to sleeping. I'm tired...

I just hope these over-the-top sfx don't turn combat into complete clusterf**k. The higher level spell effects from Mask of the Betrayer (which, please keep in mind, had a pause feature) were often times intrusive and a detriment to the combat experience.

You can pause the game in DS 1 & 2 as well. I'm sure this'll be the case in DS 3 as well.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Yeah they are screenshots. They use the same assets as shown in the first screenshots, the lighting is similar, they're just zoomed further out and show more of the environment, enemies and animations.

As for being photoshopped, I honestly don't know, but it would seem a pretty sloppy job, since they didn't cover the blurred out ground textures.

Also : positive comments.

... no seriously. The comments under the screenshots are all positive. Granted, they're only 3, and probably someone will comment that Obsidian will ruin Dungeon Siege but still... it's like I'm living in a Bizzarro universe.

Oh, wait:

Just to get you out of Bizzaro world.

But yeah, your right. Overall reactions were positive

Rejoice. :sorcerer:

Edited by C2B

Call me an idiot, but I really like what I see.

Yes, it won't be a Diablo3 and yes, it is not directly a mix of DS1 and 2.

But I like it somehow.

There is only one thing, that can be done wrong: NO demo for PC.

I don't know why this is made over and over again by almost all publishers...