Question to Brits

vault_overseer

Me and my wife have been entertaining the idea of moving to UK for few years, so our kid could grow up in Europe. Why UK? Well, we already speak the language(albeit poorly, but still...) and we love the culture. TV(kid's favorite cartoon is Kipper), music, humor, food(at least some of it), EPL(that one is just me, actually), etc.

With us being US citizens, the whole ordeal would be somewhat simple - we can come and work as we please, we'd just need to leave the country every 6 months - sort of a forced vacation. However, due to the fact that we'd have to pay double taxes(US and UK), we'd want to go somewhere relatively inexpensive, but with decent opportunities. So far, Edinburgh seems to be one of the best choices, but frankly, i'm not too keen on living in water for most of the year.

So tell me, Brits, what is the best place under the sun in the land of Her Majesty? Any tips/ideas/wtf are you thinking moments? Keep in mind, we're still in "what if" mode, so we're just looking for information, good or bad.

Thank you all in advance.

Edited by vault_overseer

Im not a Brit but wouldnt your choice of cities be influenced by what you are doing for employment? Gotta live close-ish to work, right?

Oh yeah great point. I'm a system/network admin(but also code sometimes), my wife is an accountant.

P.S. Good morning, Chicago:)

Edited by vault_overseer

Me and my wife have been entertaining the idea of moving to UK for few years, so our kid could grow up in Europe. Why UK? Well, we already speak the language(albeit poorly, but still...) and we love the culture. TV(kid's favorite cartoon is Kipper), music, humor, food(at least some of it), EPL(that one is just me, actually), etc.

With us being US citizens, the whole ordeal would be somewhat simple - we can come and work as we please, we'd just need to leave the country every 6 months - sort of a forced vacation. However, due to the fact that we'd have to pay double taxes(US and UK), we'd want to go somewhere relatively inexpensive, but with decent opportunities. So far, Edinburgh seems to be one of the best choices, but frankly, i'm not too keen on living in water for most of the year.

So tell me, Brits, what is the best place under the sun in the land of Her Majesty? Any tips/ideas/wtf are you thinking moments? Keep in mind, we're still in "what if" mode, so we're just looking for information, good or bad.

Thank you all in advance.

I'm not a Brit, but still I'm going to chime in and point out a couple of things: the food is bloody awful, life there is fairly expensive, and finally the weather is awful. With all that being said, within the UK I'd recommend Scotland to live in.

Oh, and why not move to Ireland, instead?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I'm not a Brit, but still I'm going to chime in and point out a couple of things: the food is bloody awful, life there is fairly expensive, and finally the weather is awful. With all that being said, within the UK I'd recommend Scotland to live in.

Oh, and why not move to Ireland, instead?

I don't mind Pies, Chicago isn't exactly cheap either and the weather.... yes, that does bother me. However, I like the fact that I can drive to Paris in a day(I hate flying)

I forgot to mention that the people are ugly too.

Oh, and I think you can drive from Ireland to Paris in a day.

Pick a Scandinavian country, instead. Everyone there speaks English, people are prettier, the quality of life is above and beyond what you can find in the UK, and the weather really isn't any worse.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Pick a Scandinavian country, instead. Everyone there speaks English, people are prettier, the quality of life is above and beyond what you can find in the UK, and the weather really isn't any worse.

OH yeah, forgot about ugly people...

And Ireland is fine too, I guess.

I don't know how working in a Scandinavian countries as a US citizen would work out, would I need a visa or a work permit? anyone?

Speaking as a Swede; Not everyone here speaks English, some people are pretty, just as everywhere else, we have a 30% taxrate and 25% extra on everything we buy. Oh, and the politicians are idiots.

On the "plus" side of things, people here seems to want us to become more American by the day!

I don't know how working in a Scandinavian countries as a US citizen would work out, would I need a visa or a work permit? anyone?

Don't have a clue about permits or visas I'm afraid. Yet, atleast.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that we have some huge unemployment issues amongst youths here. Atleast, so say the politicians.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Speaking as a Swede; Not everyone here speaks English, some people are pretty, just as everywhere else, we have a 30% taxrate and 25% extra on everything we buy. Oh, and the politicians are idiots.

On the "plus" side of things, people here seems to want us to become more American by the day!

Oh, and I forgot to mention that we have some huge unemployment issues amongst youths here. Atleast, so say the politicians.

What about schools?

Hey, I'd like to say.. we have good food in England. The Scots, Welsh, and Irish aren't too bad for grub either. Its the joys of culture, what's good to one group is completely upchuckable to another....

Well, the Labour government had been screwing things over for the past decade so there's still the recovery from that.. there's the dangers of how much the EU is infringing to deal with as well...

Also, local prices can shift a lot depending on whether your North or South. There's also a bit of a stereotypical cultural divide there as well.. traditionally the North was a lot of the heavy industry and the South was more commercial.

Much as we enjoy poking fun at our own weather, it tends to be highly variable.. as the saying goes, "other countries have a climate, where the UK has weather." :shifty:

Steer clear of London, it's hellaciously expensive.

The rest of it.. well, there are pros and cons in lots of ways. Are you wanting to be heavily in the urban environment, or on the outskirts of a city? Or slide a bit more into the "country environment" that's spread around?

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

What about schools?

The schools are generally speaking decent, the future of wich is somewhat dependant on the elections later this year. But generally speaking you only have to pay for Chalmers or Uppsala types of education, if you want to be a professor/engineer of something that is. Other than that we have free schooling that gives you work opportunities, i.e. electrician/mechanics and constructionworkers. As far as I remember atleast.

Looking for Work in Sweden page. The unemployment-numbers are'nt up to date though since this was printed in 2007, but I think the beuracracy parts are up to date.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Hey, I'd like to say.. we have good food in England. The Scots, Welsh, and Irish aren't too bad for grub either. Its the joys of culture, what's good to one group is completely upchuckable to another....

Well, the Labour government had been screwing things over for the past decade so there's still the recovery from that.. there's the dangers of how much the EU is infringing to deal with as well...

Also, local prices can shift a lot depending on whether your North or South. There's also a bit of a stereotypical cultural divide there as well.. traditionally the North was a lot of the heavy industry and the South was more commercial.

Much as we enjoy poking fun at our own weather, it tends to be highly variable.. as the saying goes, "other countries have a climate, where the UK has weather." :shifty:

Steer clear of London, it's hellaciously expensive.

The rest of it.. well, there are pros and cons in lots of ways. Are you wanting to be heavily in the urban environment, or on the outskirts of a city? Or slide a bit more into the "country environment" that's spread around?

Well, currently I live in a very community based neighborhood and I love it, so I'd prefer to stick to something similar - still a city, but homey and close knit enough to know your neighbors. Again, from what I understand, things are a lot closer to each other there.

So what area would be relatively inexpensive to live in, have good schools(is that even an issue in UK) and have IT jobs?

Also, my wife, her sister and our kid's godmother all had a huge complain about living in UK - lack of mixer type taps in the kitchen/bathrooms. Is it really hard to find a place with one?

London is expensive but in terms of economic opportunity it is the only place you should seriously consider. Other places are perfectly viable but London is the bread winner hands down, not to mention contacts.

It's not a good place for a family though. London is the sort of place an undergraduate goes to sacrifice 10-15 years of their life in the meat grinder whilst they're young and able to.

Genuinely nice places in the UK would be Brighton, Oxfordshire (if you don't like living near people) and the west country (which also had the lowest paying jobs in the country).

I know an American that went to live in Reading with his wife and two kids and they seem happy enough.

Someone might mention Manchester. I lived there for a couple of years, it's nothing special in my opinion.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

London is expensive but in terms of economic opportunity it is the only place you should seriously consider. Other places are perfectly viable but London is the bread winner hands down, not to mention contacts.

It's not a good place for a family though. London is the sort of place an undergraduate goes to sacrifice 10-15 years of their life in the meat grinder whilst they're young and able to.

Genuinely nice places in the UK would be Brighton, Oxfordshire (if you don't like living near people) and the west country (which also had the lowest paying jobs in the country).

I know an American that went to live in Reading with his wife and two kids and they seem happy enough.

Someone might mention Manchester. I lived there for a couple of years, it's nothing special in my opinion.

Reading up on Brighton, seems like a great suggestion. Thank you.

Why?

Because we don't want him to grow up in USA:)

Edited by vault_overseer

A few points from a veteran Londoner, born-and-bred.

Edinburgh: Beautiful, fab architecture, lots of culture, great pubs. It's also the most expensive city in the UK next to London to live in and the weather is something else. Awful.

Ireland: The economy is FUBAR. England is in the doldrums but nowhere near as bad. Avoid it for now.

England: London, forget it. Very expensive, it's like New York in the early 80's - a place for the rich and the poor and tough for folks in the middle. You're an IT type, want a nice community, want to live in Europe, right?

You need, like the person who said that he knew Americans living in Reading, to consider the Thames corridor that follows the M4 motorway west out of London. It's where most of our high-tech industry is located, you are on top of Oxfordshire, Berkshire and the West Country, are near some good regional airports / sea ports for your trips to France, Spain and Italy and it's not hideously expensive with good schools. You can still easily get to London if you want to see the sights. Furthermore, the lush green England you might have in your mind's eye, with pubs and people playing cricket does actually exist out that way.

This website is a pretty good starter for ten, check out how far your dollar might go. Alternatively, if you know any folks in the military ask them what life's like here or expat Americans, there are lots of US airbases in the UK (I'm sure there must be an online community you can visit).

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

A few points from a veteran Londoner, born-and-bred.

Edinburgh: Beautiful, fab architecture, lots of culture, great pubs. It's also the most expensive city in the UK next to London to live in and the weather is something else. Awful.

Ireland: The economy is FUBAR. England is in the doldrums but nowhere near as bad. Avoid it for now.

England: London, forget it. Very expensive, it's like New York in the early 80's - a place for the rich and the poor and tough for folks in the middle. You're an IT type, want a nice community, want to live in Europe, right?

You need, like the person who said that he knew Americans living in Reading, to consider the Thames corridor that follows the M4 motorway west out of London. It's where most of our high-tech industry is located, you are on top of Oxfordshire, Berkshire and the West Country, are near some good regional airports / sea ports for your trips to France, Spain and Italy and it's not hideously expensive with good schools. You can still easily get to London if you want to see the sights. Furthermore, the lush green England you might have in your mind's eye, with pubs and people playing cricket does actually exist out that way.

This website is a pretty good starter for ten, check out how far your dollar might go. Alternatively, if you know any folks in the military ask them what life's like here or expat Americans, there are lots of US airbases in the UK (I'm sure there must be an online community you can visit).

Cheers

MC

Thanks for suggestions. So what's your view on Brighton, as Moose suggested?

Brighton is slightly bohemian and pleased with itself, to be honest the place gets on my nerves. It's populated by trendy Londoners who tend to crowd out the long-established Gay community there.

I used to like it there fifteen years ago, before it became Notting Hill-on-Sea. It's also very expensive, consider areas slightly out of Brighton to get better value for money.

Having said that, Sussex (the county Brighton sits in) is nice.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Why?

It's hard and expensive to find a decent school and even then, no one seems to be interested in developing creativity and independent thinking in children. We also really don't like American television and the practice of creating environments that encourage segregation amongst cultures.

Why?

It's hard and expensive to find a decent school and even then, no one seems to be interested in developing creativity and independent thinking in children. We also really don't like American television and the practice of creating environments that encourage segregation amongst cultures.

Those seem like pretty general blanket condemnations for a very large country. Other than the American television bit, I doubt you will really find the answer to your problems in the UK.

Why?

Those seem like pretty general blanket condemnations for a very large country. Other than the American television bit, I doubt you will really find the answer to your problems in the UK.

I do know that the schools are different. I know that from people who went to schools both there and here, as well as from few teachers I've met, who had gone to teach in England.

I wish I was a Brit. :'(

Working on the accent. I still need to buy the monocle and get the whole "stick out pinky finger while drinking tea" thing down. It's a work in progress. Already have the tophat.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

You will find that UK house prices are heavily predicated on the quality of the local schools, if you see a bargain the first question you need to ask yourself is 'whats the local school like?'. There are some interesting things happening in UK education policy, I'm quite enthusiastic about the future. My son's school is excellent, and completely free (infant school).

As for the general reasoning behind your idea to live abroad, I think it's good for kids. If I had the chance to work abroad for a bit I would, but I think you might find residency issues as a US Citizen unless you get a job and they sponsor you. My wife works for an American company, and they have some Americans at her office. They seem to like it here, a lot. They find it liberating that you can drink a bottle of claret at lunch and not be carted off to the nearest Betty Ford clinic.

France and Italy are lovely, but the French hauteur might drive you nuts, and the Italian way of life (and I love Italy) although great means putting up with Italian local government. Which will drive you mad. At least here everybody will understand you.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG