Blizzard Forums to use real ID name

From the Euro forums we have a string of blue posts that give a LOT more info than the ones in the US forums

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/t/13816838128...-forum-changes/

That just links to the developers posts, you can get to the actual thread there, but I'm not sure you want to sift through that many pages of stuff to find anything good

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

After a bit of effort, it is actually really hard to find myself on the internet. The problem is there are just too many people that have my name. I tried to narrow it down to no avail. I'm not even on that Spokeo thing.

If I'm seeing this correctly (and I may not be), what we're looking at is an entire subset of people for whom anonymously posting on the Blizzard forums doesn't really seem "optional," and refraining from said activity presents a significant enough lifestyle change for them to be aggravated. It's quite a spectacle.

A little ironic that this [sea] change is ostensibly to the detriment of trolls: I'm not a proper troll, but I reckon that if I were, I'd be giggling myself crapless at the multitude of nerds sobbing over this policy.

A dull boy.

Since you think it's not a big deal though, why don't you go onto Blizzard's forums and post your contact information as well.

**** no, there's no way in hell I'm going to give Blizzard my real name (not that I play WoW or use Battle.net, so there'd be no reason to register there in the first place). Also, as far as the moderator's information goes, shouldn't those doing the harassing be punished, if they have actually broken laws that is, and not the person who did nothing but post information? If he actively encouraged the harassing that's something, but if he merely posted the information to prove a point and did nothing else I'm not sure if the Employee could do anything but force him to take it down (provided there was a good reason, say harassment).

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Anonymity on the internet should be a right. If you're drunk/angry one night and write something stupid somewhere under your own name, thats going to come up with a simple google search for years afterwards. Its like every phone call you ever made was recorded and accessible to anyone with a computer. That might have disproportional consequences like not getting a job you applied to because the recruiter googled you and thinks you're a douch.. or a girl turning you down cause because she googled your name etc. etc.

Just the other day a swedish blogger was arrested for "hate crimes" because someone who accidentally stumbled on the blog didnt like a nazi-related joke he wrote to his friends and called the cops. Just a tiny thing like that can have a major impact on your life. If that guy gets convicted so that goes on his record, he wont ever be able to get a job, rent an apartment or join a political association.

Sweden is part of the EU, which has a rather strict legislation on personal data protection -- so, quite frankly, I find it hard to believe that as a private citizen, your income or criminal record (!) are freely available to me just from your name... unless you make them public yourself.

Part of our special deal for signing up with the EU was that we could keep our policy of openness regarding official documents, info and so on.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

That update makes their stance a lot clearer....they could have posted that in the first place. I still have my personal reservations, but I will grant that if anyone can make a popular entertainment activity where real names are required (vs. work or government etc) a more commonplace, non-feared trend, than it would probably be Blizzard. I also went and looked, and they do have an ignore user feature now, so that's good.

From what I understand, RealID in the game itself can be 'turned off' by turning on the parental controls, as well as the fact that you don't have to accept any 'friends' in the first place, so it affecting privacy while actually playing isn't an issue. However that will automatically shut you out from the fora as well (it won't circumvent that aspect). And it's not just WoW, it's SC2 & eventually all their games.

Some have been speculating that this could be the start of some future revenue generating model (w/a desired side-effect feature)...Activision/Facebook/Blizzard, social networking etc...I'm not convinced of that, but it is curious.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It's a myth that just from your real name anyone can find whatever they want about you. I could give my real name, and I guarantee you, save for some useless facts regarding join/leave dates on my military life there's nothing about me on the 'net, because I make a point of keeping my personal data, well, personal. I'm not even on the phone directory.

And I guarantee you that some russian or chinese teenager seeking a way to get bonus to his pocket money, would easily get all your information from the "secure" web with proper targeted datamining, if he thought you are worth the trouble...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

On balance I'd trade my anonymity for knowing who a few 'certain' folk were on here. I can comfortably stand by everything I've said, if I had to. I doubt the same is true for all.

Like Lord of the Flies really just being Feargus Urquhart in disguise?

Man, would that **** with my head.

That's nightmare fuel right there.

Maybe Volourn is actually Avellone, too.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

That's nightmare fuel right there.

Maybe Volourn is actually Avellone, too.

wow i just threw up in my mouth a little

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I think that blizzard may end up recinding this change given the publicity and the stupidly large amounts of negative reactions to it.

http://kotaku.com/5581209/blizzards-real-n...ns-in-an-uproar

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say, This is the Internet. Facebook and Myspace etc let you CHOOSE to release your name (and most people do) which helps when you're showing off your pictures etc. However, WoW's forums are not a location where you want real life to interfere with what is (ultimately) an escapist activity. You don't want to go onto your realms forums and see your boss crying out because your character stole something from him in the game, and (as has been pointed out in the gigantic thread on their boards) if people post on the forums, then they open themselves up to prospective employers saying "We won't hire you because of your online habits."

I understand their original intent for this, but removing the "wretches" when you could just ban their account from the forums for constant trolling (but not the game) by forcing people to release what many consider to be personal information on the internet and thus open themselves up to real life consequences for playing something that has such negative stigma is not the way to go.

IMO blizzard has basically just singlehandedly killed their forums, and probably angered the ESRB a TINY bit given the amount of complaints they're receiving at this point.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Ok, i found this video linked to one of the discussion about realID :(

I do not know why, but I can easily imagine few people being able to do the same **** -_-

Since you think it's not a big deal though, why don't you go onto Blizzard's forums and post your contact information as well.

**** no, there's no way in hell I'm going to give Blizzard my real name (not that I play WoW or use Battle.net, so there'd be no reason to register there in the first place)

Point epically missed. Post your name and info here if you'd prefer. I wasn't talking about you sharing your information with Blizzard. But rather, with a large internet community that you just condoned for posting this man's personal information all over the internet for all to see.

Also, as far as the moderator's information goes, shouldn't those doing the harassing be punished, if they have actually broken laws that is, and not the person who did nothing but post information? If he actively encouraged the harassing that's something, but if he merely posted the information to prove a point and did nothing else I'm not sure if the Employee could do anything but force him to take it down (provided there was a good reason, say harassment).

Hey, if you're okay if someone posted all of your information for all to see, then that's your own prerogative. I have a feeling you wouldn't be, and if someone did this to you and it resulted in harassment, you'd be none-to-pleased about it.

Hey, if you're okay if someone posted all of your information for all to see, then that's your own prerogative. I have a feeling you wouldn't be, and if someone did this to you and it resulted in harassment, you'd be none-to-pleased about it.

I wouldn't, and that's why i do not post on any forums under my real name... I do not want any asshat to datamine all information about me which can be obtained by legal means and post it there, here or anywhere else on TEH INTERNETZ!!11ONE

Post your name and info here if you'd prefer.

Several people on here know that and I've posted links that have my real name before (I'll not re-post them but feel free to dig through the archives if you want to find it).

Hey, if you're okay if someone posted all of your information for all to see, then that's your own prerogative.

Did I ever say that? All I'm saying is that it's not illegal in itself and thus your hope of legal action is misplaced.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I wouldn't, and that's why i do not post on any forums under my real name... I do not want any asshat to datamine all information about me which can be obtained by legal means and post it there, here or anywhere else on TEH INTERNETZ!!11ONE

Are you condoning and supporting the actions of the guy that did? (I also didn't ask you, but hey, since you've volunteered).

Be honest (even though it's the internet and you can just make **** up as you want): What are your thoughts about the guy sharing the information about the Blizzard Employee? Do you feel vindicated like he is "fighting the good fight?" Because you can just as easily get this guy's name from the instruction manual. But I have a feeling it'd be different if THAT is where someone found his name.... Wouldn't it?