Crisis warning - solar flares

Walsingham

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/7...evastation.html

Summary: In 2013 solar flares are likely to wreak havoc on electronic equipment. Proper havoc.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I knew it, the Mayans were wrong. 2013 it is then... -_-

Time to stock up on matches, canned food and bottled water? If it hits Earth like an oversized EMP grenade, we might want to practise living without internet and computers for a while. Thinking about it, those were actually the "good" old days :*

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Scientists are aware of the immense power of the sun's solar flares, but modern human history has never experienced a proper solar storm the likes of which happens every 100 years or so. The kind that would obliterate much of Earth's electronics, and certainly all satellites.

Chilling when you think about it.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/04/26/1743255

http://news.slashdot.org/story/10/03/01/01...diation-Katrina

If I faraday cage my office will that help?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Meh, more panic mongering.

It's not panic mongering if it's true.

A large solar flare would be...pretty destructive to our society.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

As long as I can play Mass Effect 3, Halflife2 Episode 3, Portal 2 and Alpha Protocol 2 before it all comes crashing down, I'll be happy.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

So....late 2012 sounds like a good time to pull most of our money out of the computerized/electronic banking/investment system & start stuffing both cash and bricks of gold in the mattress.

Snail mail might become popular again! Pony Express comeback?

And imagine...a world without working ATM's for long periods. THE HORROR! :aiee:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I think Dagon is believing that Nasa is just full of garbage.

I'd be interesting if this did happen as you'd probably see the world population dip significantly because things wouldn't be very organized for a bit (I doubt it'd turn into widespread orgy of destruction). Also depending on how things go, we might have a case where global travel was stopped for quite a bit as they figured out how to get planes working again. Well, at least quick global travel.

Doubt it'd be long enough for genetic variation between populations to actually crop up.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

These events seem cyclical. What happened 11 years ago? Or 22 years ago? Since one happens every 22 years, while the other every 11 years.

"A more likely scenario was that large areas, including northern Europe and Britain which have

Well, supposedly this is a much larger flare than the 11 year one. I'll know more as it approaches (as I'll actually be taking classes in it) but I'm guessing that not only will this be fairly large, but we might see some data damage as the storm is MAGNETIC in part.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Oh this'll be fun.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Wait, so it could affect ALL the electrics in the house? With a possibility of widespread fires?

I'm thinking we should train the neighbourhood up as a firefighting auxiliary.

-Elwood Blues

So the solar flare will last over 4 hours?

That's not how it works. A solar flare isn't like a laser, hitting a precise spot. It's a wind of highly energetic particles that plays havoc with, and gets dispersed across, earth's various electromagnetic systems.

It might be fair to say, however, that the night-time side of the earth would escape the damage. I'm no expert on geophysics though.