Obsidian making Dungeon Siege III

My guess is:

Get the press excited → press gets the gamers excited → gamers clamor for more information → game company waits until fever pitch is reached → game company releases information to gamers → gamers divide into categories ("I'll wait and see" "Looks great, day 1 buy" "Dungeon Siege in Name Only!" etc).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Never understood why they're doing secret behind-closed-doors presentations. How is that helping the customer?

That's because they don't want to show to the public how they give fat enveloppes under the table to the journalists :*

joke aside, I kinda agree with you.

Not sure how to feel about this.

On one hand, I have played DS2 ( and 1 a LOOOOOOONG time ago ), and got so bored with it, I uninstalled it before I even managed to leave that Magical Forest, it just felt like a really poorly made Diablo Clone, and while the story was interesting, and I did want to learn more, I couldn't keep myself interested enough in just clicking everything to care. ( And I generally like Diablo Clones, I like Torchlight and D2 )

On the other hand, I've yet to find an Obsidian game I didn't enjoy in one way or another, the press releases do mention they will be adding on to the story/adding a choice system/companions, and well, I have been looking for a new COOP game to play with my friends for awhile now.

So...

Tentatively Excited? :(

I have enough faith in Obsidian to be a little excited.

Edited by Default

So were the images that were released along with the announcement concept art or screenshots? Big Download blog says they're screenshots, but they really do look like concept art.

Squenix dubbed them as screenshots but.. well... they don't really look like screenshots at all.

It was probably just an error, it's clear they're concept arts.

So were the images that were released along with the announcement concept art or screenshots? Big Download blog says they're screenshots, but they really do look like concept art.

Another site said they were screenshots and said that if they all looked all like that, they would be of a concept-art like quality. I don't know myself. The ones with a character are weird : the background really looks like a concept art, but the character doesn't fit in completely, it seems to be a 3D model, and that would indicate that it is indeed a screenshot.

Nice! I've been waiting for some sort of announcement on this for a long time now...

Yes, Dungeon Siege has never been known to be the most in-depth of RPGs, pretty much just a hack n slash and loot-grabbing fest with a loose story to give the game a reason to exist, but I've still enjoyed countless hours of gameplay between the first two and their expansions (actually just played through the first one again recently), and regardless of the lack of depth in story, there was still a whole world of creativity within it. I've always thought there's so much more that can be done with the world setting for Dungeon Siege. Hopefully Obsidian is up to the task of really making this an incredible experience. I think they are...

I have to say I'm a little surprised to see that Obsidian is the developer, however. That was the last thing I was expecting to see. I didn't think Chris Taylor/GPG would be so eager to relinquish this franchise to another developer... Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but I just never ever expected to see that Obsidian is to develop the third installment to one of my favorite hack n slash franchises.

I have good feelings about this. I think Obsidian has learned a great deal through their development of Neverwinter Nights 2; I'm hoping and looking forward to seeing this rub off on Dungeon Siege III. It's good to see they're going to incorporate the "moral decision-making system" into this one, kind of like Mass Effect and The Witcher, from what I'm gathering thus far. That is an element that can really help to open up a lot of plot twist and overall story development with some depth to it.

We shall see. Can't wait to see how this turns out... o:)

Intel Core i5 760 2.8 GHz / MSI P55-CD53 / 8 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series PC10666 1333 MHz DDR3 / MSI GeForce GTX 560Ti Hawk Edition 1 GB

Another site said they were screenshots and said that if they all looked all like that, they would be of a concept-art like quality. I don't know myself. The ones with a character are weird : the background really looks like a concept art, but the character doesn't fit in completely, it seems to be a 3D model, and that would indicate that it is indeed a screenshot.

Maybe a ... dev could clarify? o:)

This reminds me of what J.E. Sawyer used to have said of the screenshots of the Black Hound: According to him, they are often taken for screenshots of some other 2D games by those who saw them in desktop screens of their computers at their office.

Was there ever any doubt? People who thought those were screenshots should visit an oculist maybe...

As you can see a couple of messages earlier, yes, there were doubts. And an official confirmation works much better than just saying they're concept art, come on, can't you see yourself?. :)

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/98273-e3-2...ere-i-come.html

E3 2010, Here I Come

After missing the last four E3 events primarily due to the birth of my three children, I made a point of marking 2010 as my return to the L.A. Convention Center and the madness that ensues there. I'll be boarding a plane in about an hour, so things will probably be pretty quiet around GameBanshee for the next few days. The plan is to return with enough information to make it all worth it, and I'm confident that I'll be doing just that.

On my appointment schedule this year are a few private interviews (including time with Obsidian's Chris Avellone and Feargus Urquhart) and firsthand looks at Fallout: New Vegas, Dungeon Siege III, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Witcher 2, Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned, Warhammer 40,000 Online, and Star Wars: The Old Republic. My hectic schedule probably won't afford me any time to see Fable III, Two Worlds II, Arcania: Gothic 4, and The Lord of the Rings: War in the North, but I'll see what I can do.

See you in a few days!

Shield of Azunai, eh?

Interesting...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee