Rockstar Asks For Favorable Reviews

"It is unethical, though."

No, that word is thrown around so carelessly it often ebcomes meaningless. 'Unethical'. L0LZ

All the arroagnt better than thou judgement in this thread is unethical.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I would also call it the worst PC port ever, but since it's a Rockstar game, that part is actually true.

As of yet, there's been no announcement of a PC port.. they seem to be keeping this latest offering to the ps3 and xbox 360 for the moment... of course give it a year or two and it probably will be ported..but at the moment.. :(

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Typical of the industry today. Not that I'm going to buy Red Dead Redemption anyway, it looks like just another **** game to me...

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I just clicked your link and I'm watching a car commercial just to get to the point where I can watch a game promo.
I HATE that ****ing ad ****.

I only ever watch promo vids on YouTube, because of that.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I rather have a fair review than a forced "good" review. How else would one improve their craft if they always get high praises? They wouldn't know their weaknesses nor if what they did is actually crap or good.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Typical of the industry today. Not that I'm going to buy Red Dead Redemption anyway, it looks like just another **** game to me...

:blink:

You sir... are ;)

Did you watch the previews!?

I admit I am a bit biased. I LOVED GTA IV and the idea of a western with the same physics/game engine is already pretty exciting. Add in LOVING the Dollars Trilogy growing up, wanting to be Clint Eastwood's blondie doesn't hurt my excitement level either. Further, add in incredible preview videos, both gameplay and cutscene wise that look flawless and I'm currently drooling over myself counting the seconds until the release date.

Did you watch the previews!?

Yep. Or at least, I watched one preview. What about them?

I admit I am a bit biased. I LOVED GTA IV and the idea of a western with the same physics/game engine is already pretty exciting. Add in LOVING the Dollars Trilogy growing up, wanting to be Clint Eastwood's blondie doesn't hurt my excitement level either. Further, add in incredible preview videos, both gameplay and cutscene wise that look flawless and I'm currently drooling over myself counting the seconds until the release date.

I actually haven't played GTA 4, but I've played the older titles in the series and I must admit I really don't like them. Red Dead Redemption appears like the typical GTA formula with the simple addition of a new "Western movie" appearance. It is probably the setting I would least prefer, among anything I could think of. At least it seems that the story does not force you to be a criminal, like in the GTA series.

Also, I don't really like other free-roaming games such as Fallout 3. They tend to be lighter in actual content, spreading it thin over a polished surface. Often it's hard to motivate yourself to do any actual exploring.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Despite having never heard of the game, I will now gladly pan, denigrate and generally mock it free of charge.

Check out the videos on Gametrailers.com. If they don't get you excited then gaming may not be your thing. By all means though, pan, denigrate and generally mock ROCKSTAR. Its kind of like boycotting The Dark Knight because you heard Nolan/Bale are jerks. The only thing you are doing is cheating yourself out of a good thing.

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/red-dead-redemption/11275

Well I did skip both the Batman movie and game, neither being of any interest to me.

Nonetheless, here is my non-sponsored review:

This game, whatsitsname appears to be the worst game in the history of mankind. The packaging is made out of toxic waste, the manual is made out of second hand post-it notes bound together with used chewing gum, and the game disc has edges so sharp you'd probably lose your fingers trying to handle it.

The game itself is excreable, the gameplay is reminiscent of E.T. but with worse graphics. The manual contains the standard warning about taking a break every hour but it is quite likely that anyone playing this will have epileptic seizures withing 30 seconds - that is, if the game manages to run that long without crashing and causing permanent damage to your hardware (and most probably your retinas). I appeal to the content ratings board to add a warning to the game box that playing this game may cause depression and other forms of mental illness, and anyone who has ever so much as seen the game box should be put on suicide watch for their own safety.

Fun fact: All world religions have agreed that the release of this game has heralded the coming of the apocalypse.

Summary: Humanity's darkest hour.

Graphics: 0/10

Sound: 0/10

Gameplay: 0/10

Overall: -10000000/10

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Fun fact: All world religions have agreed that the release of this game has heralded the coming of the apocalypse.

Just for this fact alone, it deserves 11/10...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Basically if you liked GTAIV you'll probably like this, otherwise you probably won't enjoy it as much.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

GTAIV was utter ****, and I believe some of its perfect scores were purchased... This looks even worse...

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

GTAIV was utter ****, and I believe some of its perfect scores were purchased... This looks even worse...

Couldn't disagree more. For me, it was not only the best GTA to date, but has earned a spot on my top 10 favorite games. I was also suspicious of its high scores. I had enjoyed previous GTAs but had some major things I disliked about them. Then I actually played GTA IV and it blew me away on every front.

I do find it interesting how people either seem to love GTA IV with a passion or hate it with a passion.

Perfect? Possibly, at least the bump of a .5 score (or whatever miniscule amount to get it to perfect) as most reviewers noted the distinct tonal change and the jarring shifts between humor and emo (For example, doing one mission where you're talking to brucie about his awesomeness, then the next griping about how you killed people, sold people, tortured people...) But it was still a fantastic game overall. Not perfect but very close.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The tone of the messages from Rockstar could be interpreted in various ways. I suppose the journalist had good reason to see a veiled threat in it, being directly involved in the whole matter.

Overall it just tells us what we already know: that reviews are, for the most part, nothing more than paid advertising.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

This game looks unbelievably good. Also, reviews are so flawed these days I hardly take them into consideration. If a game looks like I will enjoy it, like RDR, or is part of a series I have already enjoyed (NHL, Mass Effect), I'll buy it. What is so "unethical" about trying to get your game good press? Or at the very least making sure the reviewers notice some of the technical achievements.

Apparently the world in RDR is huge and very realistic, however when playing it you may be so sucked in you don't even realize that you haven't seen a loading screen in 5 hours, or that you've never heard the same dialogue line twice. Rockstar just wanted to say, hey, we did this - don't overlook that.

GTA Vice City is one of my all time fav games and GTA San Andreas and GTA IV are great too. Houser brothers and Lazlow write some of the best stuff in the biz, including great characters like Rosenberg, OG Loc and Yusuf Amir.

That said, I'm not interested in RDR. Wild west games are not my thing and tone of the game seem to be serious, rather then funny like in GTAs. I don't even know anything about the gameplay mechanics or the world setting. It didn't help that previes game was released for consoles only and this one seem to be same way too. Don't matter, Episodes from Liberty City will be released soon for PC and that's about to take all my free time for awhile.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

GTA Vice City is one of my all time fav games and GTA San Andreas and GTA IV are great too. Houser brothers and Lazlow write some of the best stuff in the biz, including great characters like Rosenberg, OG Loc and Yusuf Amir.

That said, I'm not interested in RDR. Wild west games are not my thing and tone of the game seem to be serious, rather then funny like in GTAs. I don't even know anything about the gameplay mechanics or the world setting. It didn't help that previes game was released for consoles only and this one seem to be same way too. Don't matter, Episodes from Liberty City will be released soon for PC and that's about to take all my free time for awhile.

Any knowledge of the previous Red Dead game is not required. There are no returning characters or connections to the previous games (atleast from what has been shown and I have obsorbed every last sentence about the game). I also strongly suspect that Red Dead Redemption will make its way to the PC like GTA IV did. This is the biggest release of a game franchise outside of GTA. Games outside of their GTA franchise, like Manhunt 1 & 2, Bully & Midnight Club have made it to PC. I can understand keeping ones interest in check or outright ignoring this game until it is confirmed on PC. Having a 360 I've let my excitement run wild like a rabid coyote on the prairie. :lol:

There have been numeros videos released at gametrailers.com which highlight both the gameplay and the story. The tone seems to be closest to GTA IV in that it IS a more serious game, but there is still some extremely humerous and colorful characters. Just check out the Gentlemen & Vegabonds trailer. http://www.gametrailers.com/game/red-dead-redemption/11275

I love this setting as I'm a fan of the old westerns and such. It definetly beats another medieval/fantasy/space/post apocalyptic setting.

The trailers look great. I'm loving the life the characters show through animations and fun voice acting. I'll be playing the hell out of this game if it comes to PC and is actually a decent port(although am worried there).

While the trailers and preview do look amazing, the previous title in this series was not good at all ,so my expectations are low. Maybe it'll even turn out to be as good as they say.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

While the trailers and preview do look amazing, the previous title in this series was not good at all ,so my expectations are low. Maybe it'll even turn out to be as good as they say.

The last Red Dead was part of some kind of Capcom deal. The game was also more of a linear shooter. The only connection the two games seem to have is the dead-eye targetting system.

Yes, I'm not sure why Rockstar even used the Red Dead IP. I guess they wanted something somewhat recognizable to gamers. Maybe they haven't been happy with their new IP's, I'm not sure how Bully did but I remember some emergency game tanked way back in the day.

Maybe because it's a really cool name.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"