Deus Ex 3

Humodour

You know, everything I see about DX3's gameplay screams the cooler, slicker brother of Alpha Protocol. I mean, yeah, yeah, AP was inspired by original DX, etc, etc, but I'm just thinking it's interesting how they're doing similar things in a lot of places, but the presentation will probably help DX3's one feel more 'cooler' and 'better'. I mean, look, he basically has Shadow Operative, and then a bunch of magical nano abilities more wacky than anything in AP. But it's ok because (a) there's the technology explanation, but more importantly, (b) they worked hard to make him look badass.

Anyway, looking pretty good so far, I like the stuff they're doing with the lighting.

You know, everything I see about DX3's gameplay screams the cooler, slicker brother of Alpha Protocol. I mean, yeah, yeah, AP was inspired by original DX, etc, etc, but I'm just thinking it's interesting how they're doing similar things in a lot of places, but the presentation will probably help DX3's one feel more 'cooler' and 'better'. I mean, look, he basically has Shadow Operative, and then a bunch of magical nano abilities more wacky than anything in AP. But it's ok because (a) there's the technology explanation, but more importantly, (b) they worked hard to make him look badass.

Anyway, looking pretty good so far, I like the stuff they're doing with the lighting.

Well that and the fact that, assuming they aren't lying about the game, the level design will be Deus Ex-like instead of Invisible War-like like in AP.

We'll see how that goes. The media about the game gives me a very 'we like cinematic set pieces' kind of vibe, which might mean levels broken up into little chunks mediated through 'cool badass' cutscenes..

i agree, many of the shots, particularly those with crates in them, evoke memories of deus ex. I think they did a more than passable job at maintaining enough of the "look" of deus ex but with all the modern bells and whistles.

except the yellow/black tint things going on, deus ex didnt have that but i understand the marketing value of establishing a sort of "color identity" when releasing a major game...

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I seem to recall a claim that the coloring is meant to evoke previous sci-fi works. We've mostly seen the Blade Runner inspired areas. Notice the asian influence.

But I don't remember where I heard that, so it could be completely wrong.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Just saw the trailer, it looks really promising, except for the barman guy's horrible accent and that one ridiculous armor.

It would indeed be nice if developers focused more on the art direction and lighting in specific levels instead of just slapping the piss filter over everything. That said, it probably fits better here than in 90% of the games that use it...

1UP preview: Deux Ex Human Revolution Wows Us With Incredible Gameplay

Not bad , but i have to admit that "The first we see is probably what many gamers will instinctively do -- blast their way inside." isn't something I'd expect most gamers to go for in a Deus Ex game.. well, at least fans from the previous games :x

Still looking interesting and on track.. and a little more about how augmentation points go into skills which all have seperate trees.. So it's sounding very much like you'll be able to develop your character in some quite specific ways...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

And each skill has its own tree, meaning there's going to be a lot of room to progress your character just the way you like.
Isn't that the opposite? Just the way the dev wants me to like my skills?

And each skill has its own tree, meaning there's going to be a lot of room to progress your character just the way you like.

Hm, to me it sounds like each skill can develop in slightly different ways.. or at least have multiple options of how you apply the base skill. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but from previous interviews /information drips, it's sounded like different augmentations can shift the way skills work.. and that as you put points in them you can open up different talents within the skill... Which seems to have the potential for a lot of variability and developing different styles of character as you wish...

Then again, I could be living in bizzarro world and need more meds.. it just appeals to the schizophrenic in me. Both of them.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Hm, to me it sounds like each skill can develop in slightly different ways.. or at least have multiple options of how you apply the base skill. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but from previous interviews /information drips, it's sounded like different augmentations can shift the way skills work.. and that as you put points in them you can open up different talents within the skill... Which seems to have the potential for a lot of variability and developing different styles of character as you wish...

Then again, I could be living in bizzarro world and need more meds.. it just appeals to the schizophrenic in me. Both of them.

I don't mind either way, it's just that I read that kind of phrasing (Skill trees are totally free form!) too often.

They have killed me! They're master assassins, pretending to be innocent design choices but suddenly WHAM! you realize you could've avoided dying if you didn't have to put points in a for-your-build-useless skill just to unlock a useful one!

Those cowardly skill trees! AAarrgh

You just hate skill trees. What have they ever done to you?

We all know what skill trees have done to Oner. He still bears the scars.

Doesn't the word 'skill tree' implies there will be some branching? That would be good imho.

The scars... and the adult diapers.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif