Fallout: New Vegas

Gorth

I really liked Arcanum. It was a bit sparse in places, but a great universe.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Enjoying Fallout 3 sure is a kick in the teeth for the Codex though.

MCA's more in-depth reaction to Fallout 3 has been on the record for a while now, so the few sentences he offered to Eurogamer are nothing new.

(Although the haterz can still pretend that he was just being polite to Bethesda-- as an Obsidz co-owner, it would be bad form for him to publicly blast the very popular Bethsoft product for which Obsidian has contracted to develop a spinoff.)

Edited by Enoch

I actually think Arcanum was a lot like Fallout 3:

Some very good bits badly compromised by some really brain-dead bits.

Overall though they were both fun game experiences as long as the flaws in either don't particularly trouble you.

Arcanum had great worldbuilding and roleplaying. The cities and towns and inhabitants were the highlight of the game. But the combat was horrible and the tech system crippled to near worthlessness.

Fallout 3 had great exploration and some aspects of combat were fun, but the ciuties and inhabitants were very poorly done and generally uninteresting

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I disagree. Arcanum was badly designed, and very inbalanced. Heck, it took me 15 rounds to kill a friggin wolf. Somebody screwed up there majorly. The only good thing was the world, and that credit goes to Leon Boyarsky.

No argument that it had some major problems, including a variety of balance issues. In that sense it was a standard Troika game. But it was a very strong game in some areas as well. Sometimes, I think it gets overlooked for all the stuff it did do well.

The CRPG genre peaked with Arcanum and Torment. Hopefully the next decade will bring with it something that has as much style and atmosphere.

To some degree, I agree.

A lot depends on how one defines a crpg however.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Nobody contests that Arcanum was fatally flawed, I think. Even those who love it can't look at it and think "how is it the world doesn't love it?!". Personally, I just wish it could have overcome those balance and combat issues, and serve as an inspiration and reference for more RPGs. There are so so many things arcanum did right that has been lost.

Anyway, the degree to which MCA can't talk about stuff is pretty hilarious, actually. I like Bethesda games for what they are and their marketing dept sure do a good job at hyping things up, but they've always been really stuck up about controlling everything and being suits.

Eurogamer: What happened with that cancelled Aliens game you guys were doing?

Chris Avellone: I can't say much - you should ask SEGA about it - but I will say this: I think it ended up being a good thing, overall. And I will take that opinion with me to my grave.

Iiiiinteresting.

Iiiiinteresting.

One wonders how it went from being an awesome game that the devs were totally fired up about it for the first year or so to something that they were (apparently) glad was cancelled.

On the surface, based on such comments, a guess might be that the devs failed pretty badly and SEGA did them a favor by axing the whole thing.

Or maybe not. But it was hardly a cry of developer outrage that something great had been terminated prematurely.

4 Strength? I never had any problems with a 4 Strength. I do have it quickly go to 5 once I it Megaton, then to 6 in Grayditch, but starting with a 4 is never a problem.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

4 Strength? I never had any problems with a 4 Strength. I do have it quickly go to 5 once I it Megaton, then to 6 in Grayditch, but starting with a 4 is never a problem.

I think Chris is talking about playing the game without metaknowledge of where to get the bobbles, etc., to boost ability scores. Which is the best way to assess a game's design, as most players don't replay the game or read up on internet guides/forums.

Before the deluge of DLCs, I played a melee/unarmed character and it was pretty fun... but with the DLC inclusion of Albino radscorpions, Feral ghoul reavers & Super mutant overlords (not to mention the tribals/hillbillies from Point Lookout) I doubt it would still be possible to play without abusing the Chinese stealth suit.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I started playing Vanilla FO3 again last night.

- I tried at great length to construct the gorgeous face of my avatar from Dragon Age Origins again, but discovered it is almost impossible. Everyone in FO3 looks miserable and a bit inbred, which is logical in context but unpleasing.

- I hadn't previously considered the expedient of completing missions by running really fast past bad guys rather than killing them. Try it. It's hilarious.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Even better is running by them, letting them start chasing after you, then start dropping frag mines.

This works best in narrow spaces, buty even outside they have a tendency to fall in directly behind you if they can.

Gleeful fun with mines is the best part of FO3's combat. Also the flamer.

flamer was by far the most fun weapon for me in FO3, followed by the rocket launcher and minigun (i had to mod the damage on these though... rockets not one-shotting raiders = epic design flaw, miniguns don't take 10 seconds of continuous fire to kill a junkyard dog irl either....)

combat in my game is modded to high hell, otherwise the game just feels strange pumping bullet after bullet into human enemies, and then killing a power armored soldier with a pool cue...

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I just finished The Pitt DLC and when I got done turning off the lights, big boss man came to and start yelling at me how he should of killed me while a trog leaped from behind. I went to the side and hid, and just watched him get torn apart.

It was quite hilarious til the trog saw me. Then I lit up his face with a laser light show.

I do hope Fallout NV has scenes like that.

Screenshot of the month

Fallout:New Vegas

PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN

Seriously, posting about the awarding of a "screenshot of the month" without posting the screenshot itself?

Bethlogic never stops to impress me deeper and deeper.

• 3 weeks later...