Aliens RPG Gameplay Footage

Just ran across that myself. It's definitely a very early Alpha, but we get an idea of what the core experience of Onyx is like... it's sort of like a real-time KOTOR, if this is any indication.

With another year and a half of polish I think it could have really been something. But I'm generally a bitter person about these things. Plenty of stuff to look forward to without this one.

Your link's been taken down by Sega Europe so it's definitely legit. It'll probably be here for another hot minute.

Edited by Pop

If you show up to this thread and can't find a video, here's what it is:

Third person over the shoulder-camera, we see the PC. On the lower left of the UI is the party, which is made up of 4 hexagons. Presumably it's 5 characters per party, as apparently the PC is not represented in this layout. Lower right is the PC information, and what is clearly an Aliens pulse rifle. At present the party is made up of just the PC, a bald black guy (the dude from the Onyx renderings maybe? Hard to tell) and a blonde woman. The video starts out with what seems to be footage from Aliens - hazy video footage of Hadley's Hope?

Then it cuts to the gameplay. PC presses buttons on a console in a hallway. Uh oh, lights go out. There are dim lights on either side of a hallway the party is entering. Lighting (and everything else, really - geometry, models, animation, sound) is fairly rudimentary. PC turns on a flashlight and looks around the area (which appears now to be a T-junction, not a hallway), finds another console, and turns the lights back on. Hissing and lo-fi pulse rifle sounds are heard, the PC rushes back to his team. Aliens are popping up from down the hallway and are being picked off by the team (this is all hard to see, for obvious reasons) Then a lull in the action. PC backs up to a different hallway in the T-junction where his party is hanging out, and backs up facing the female member of the party. He's obviously anticipating something. Lo and behold, an alien appears from the ceiling, stabs the lady in the back as she yells and drags her into the ceiling vent. End video.

In the very (VERY) unfinished state it's in it bears more than a passing resemblance to the famously awful Xbox version of The Thing. But then, it's a snippet of combat that's not even at the tech demo stage yet, and there would be, presumably, much more to the game than this. With another year and a half of development I think this could have been really something.

If it is, I'm wondering how it will work, given that the unannounced game is (purportedly) fantasy.

Speaking of the unannounced game, pretty sure one of the devs (Alvin?) said that it would be announced in the early part of the year. So we should expect that soon.

Nice. Why was it canceled again?

Sega was in a bad spot financially. Also apparently milestones were not being hit when they should have been. Obsidz is under a gag order until sometime next year about the specifics of what happened and also what the game was, exactly.

I'll still hold the torch for it coming back at some point. I thought Obsidz would never get its hands on Fallout again and look what happened. But I can't say it's a great loss if it never does materialize. On to bigger things.

I distinctly remember sometime 2 years ago when Josh and a couple of other people (remember Monty?) were marveling at the build of Aliens that they had made, and how thrilled they were with how a scenario they had set up turned out differently each time they ran through it. Right now I'm wondering if this is that scenario.

Well I'm sorry to see it go, I'm a great fan of the Alien films. Just got my quadrilogy box set the other day :)

I'd rather AP got canceled instead but it was not to be... :brows:

I feel like crying every time someone mentions Aliens RPG. It was too good to be.

Be sure to check out the bonus stuff in quadtrilogy, there's some interesting stuff in there. Giger seems to be pretty cosmic person :lol:

I'm all over the bonus stuff but I'm strung between that and the other box set I got Blade Runner: collectors edition (the 5 disc affair), :D and in case anyone is interested I point them in the way of amazon.co.uk.

For some reason the british one has insane discounts on DVDs. I paid 8 pounds for the quadrilogy and the same for Blade Runner.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Play.com generally has better prices, and free delivery to Europe.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Meh, there's not much to see. It's clearly a very early build. Squad-based, 3rd person over-the-shoulder, dark, pretty creepy. That's all you get, really.

I see no reason why this couldn't work with a fantasy game.

Meh, there's not much to see. It's clearly a very early build. Squad-based, 3rd person over-the-shoulder, dark, pretty creepy. That's all you get, really.

I see no reason why this couldn't work with a fantasy game.

I see one.

I agree, but seeing something is better than seeing nothing.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Play.com generally has better prices, and free delivery to Europe.

Until you hit the customs barrier, and suddenly it loses out even to a local brick & mortar store... :thumbsup:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I like what I've seen despite in its alpha stage.

Some notable aspects:

-Distinctive sounds that helps alot with immersion

-Very well-done lightning ambience

-Smooth frame rate gameplay that J.E had always been targetting for

-Third person shooter RPG

-NPCs are killable(?)

But since its at Pre-Alpha stage still:

-Animations despite some of them being well done, they're still incomplete

-U.I is not completed yet

-Other gameplay aspects were not implemented/demonstrated yet such as setting up traps and turrets or even possible melee encounters

Regardless, I'm feeling very depressed now to be reminded the game's cancelled. I felt Aliens had a better chance to be made into a game than an original IP since its brand is better known in the mainstream.

But I still hold hopes the game assets and engine can be salvaged somehow either way. WH40K: Space Hulk maybe? Or this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incubation:_Time_Is_Running_Out

Cheers Obsidian.

I want more RPGs in any setting :lol:

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours