Aliens RPG Gameplay Footage

Whenever I get furious with Magical Volo, I check out his kamikaze missions over at the Codex and karma is restored. It's like a guy in a micro-lite armed with a hand grenade going on a bombing mission over Bremen in 1943. Magnificent.

sonsofgygax.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
Shocking news, Aliens RPG almost finished before cancelled: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/04/28/obsidian...-finished-game/

Some pretty unforgiving comments on Obsidian there.

Anyway, I doubt the game was really THAT close to being finished, especially when I recall a developer saying that they needed to work on it at least another year.

My understanding is that Sega canceled the project because it didn't come together well. Even MCA said some time ago that it was better that way.

But if Feargus is right and the game was nearly finished, you have to wonder whether Sega was on Crack. Shipping a mediocre game would have got them some of the money back, maybe even turning a profit.

PR as in "not our fault" and "it was totally awesome" or something. I do agree that it is a bad idea to even imply bad stuff about publishers.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Maybe that he meant that the "playable" parts would have felt like a finished game? As in, not all the parts in the game with probably not all the features, but with few bugs, a nice-looking engine and combats that were enjoyable?

And was that game supposed to be turn-based??? Or did the journalist made a mistake (or a joke) there???

Yeah, while Ferg isn't responsible in the strictest sense for what game journos write, he is ultimately responsible for opening his big mouth in the first place. Google Alerts just flagged down a Eurogamer article via Play.tm article saying that the Aliens RPG was ready to ship when it got axed. That misinformation isn't likely to be cleared up and it certainly reflects badly upon Sega. Ferg is probably getting some phone calls.

Maybe that he meant that the "playable" parts would have felt like a finished game? As in, not all the parts in the game with probably not all the features, but with few bugs, a nice-looking engine and combats that were enjoyable?

And was that game supposed to be turn-based??? Or did the journalist made a mistake (or a joke) there???

Probably a joke/mistake, from the early leaked videos, and various information it should have been a 3rd person over-the-shoulder action-rpg (while obviously it would have had different mechanics tailored to the setting).