Mass Effect 2

Pidesco

Sci vs Fi Doc Part II

The people are still stupid like in the first, but this time there's also lots of stuff from the game. Some spoilers about squadmates though, so don't watch if you want to avoid those.

Here's also the reason why I go always renegade:

108io78.jpg

Actually, it's because europeans have to pay VAT, not because they're fiddling with the exchange rate (well, maybe a little due to fiddling with the exhange rate).

That's not true. Steam has different pricing policies for different regions and Sweden (and the rest of Scandinavia) is in the most expensive echelon, thus the straight conversion from dollar to Euro. VAT has nothing to do with it.

They do add VAT though, which they don't in the US. So it has something to do with it. It's not the hole story, but I'm sure a 25% add is something they have thought of.

(and they do say in Steam, that europrices are including VAT)

But I thought Euro prices were the same all over Euroland?

Edited by Spider

I'm saying do it right or not at all (in future games). Good character interactions should come first, sex a distant second.

Haha, for that to happen, the writing overall should be a lot higher in the importance list devs and producers have, and guess is that going to happen :)

I guess we can always dream. Sucks to be in the minority.

I'm replaying ME1 at the moment because I don't have any save games for ME2.

I don't think I'll be able to finish. I had fun the first time I played it, but replaying right now, the combat seems really dull. I basically just hide behind something and shoot until everything is dead. I rarely have to switch positions. Grenades don't seem to do anything. I can't bring myself to do any of the side quests.

I'm excited about ME2 though. It looks like they really improved everything about the combat and I think I'll switch to a Vanguard or Biotic class for the improved force powers.

I think the original had enough RP options, both light and substantial ones. Really all I want from ME2 is improved characterization of the NPC companions, a story that makes sense in that it connects the collectors and the reapers well and varied combat options (smarter AI would be nice too, if you're not gonna let the player control any NPC companions). Hm, guess that's pretty much improving everything.

108io78.jpg

I'm so going renegade this time. I've even got a song :lol:

Btw the characters still have an emo moment, if the video is anything to go by. Dunno why that was necessary in a team of killers and madmen.

Also I don't see why they have to persistently suck up to the PC. I mean when I played the child of a god they didn't suck up, yet here they do it for a grunt. :)

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Actually, it's because europeans have to pay VAT, not because they're fiddling with the exchange rate (well, maybe a little due to fiddling with the exhange rate).

That's not true. Steam has different pricing policies for different regions and Sweden (and the rest of Scandinavia) is in the most expensive echelon, thus the straight conversion from dollar to Euro. VAT has nothing to do with it.

*looks around*

You do realise that Sweden, with 25 % VAT, has the highest VAT bracket in Europe? Finland has 22 % and probably hits the same regional pricing... I'd say VAT has plenty to do with it - as well as the fact that local brick & mortar prices have a heavy effect on Steam prices.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I'm so going renegade this time. I've even got a song :lol:

Btw the characters still have an emo moment, if the video is anything to go by. Dunno why that was necessary in a team of killers and madmen.

Also I don't see why they have to persistently suck up to the PC. I mean when I played the child of a god they didn't suck up, yet here they do it for a grunt. :)

My theme song:

If the characters wouldn't have some "aww, you poor thing" going on, it wouldn't be a product of Bioware these days. I guess they don't want to upset the kids with genuinely evil characters.

You do realise that Sweden, with 25 % VAT, has the highest VAT bracket in Europe? Finland has 22 % and probably hits the same regional pricing... I'd say VAT has plenty to do with it - as well as the fact that local brick & mortar prices have a heavy effect on Steam prices.

Yes, I live in Sweden. I am quite aware of our VAT's. But that's not the case here. Before 2009 Europe and USA had the same prices, appr. $40 per game. But then, at the end of 2008, Steam changed. They simply translated those $40 into

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I'm saying do it right or not at all (in future games). Good character interactions should come first, sex a distant second.

In ME2 however, I suspect they're not going to do it right, and I don't expect it to be any more a memorable game than the first one. Thus I'd rather have an interesting diversion (naked women) if I'm going to suffer through it. I treat the ME games like a fire and forget deal, play them, get your fix, move on - and welcome them, albeit with very low expectations.

First I say that agree with you and ask; in your opinion, what place should sex have on NPC interactions?

Regarding ME2, my expectations lay with the carry over relationship from the first game, here is to hoping it will be more than a moment of reminiscence.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I'm so going renegade this time.

Why? He looks like a pedophile enjoying a strip dance from his slaves.

Because he looks like a pedophile enjoying a strip dance from his slaves.

First I say that agree with you and ask; in your opinion, what place should sex have on NPC interactions?

I'm not sure I understand the question but here:

Sex could be a logical next step in a PC-NPC interaction/relationship. If the relationship is well written it should flow as naturally as any other interaction, even multiple times during a game. When its only once the quest structure of the whole ordeal is painfully obvious, meaning that sex ends up being a reward like any other - not a part of a relationship.

Sex/romance is not a must. When it becomes something that has to be included in a game, it wont work. Just about any feeling is easier to invoke than affection. Especially if you're trying to portray real people and not cute, loveable characters (think anime), or concepts (companion cube from HL2) - which is what Bioware does.

Keeping it real has a price, because real people aren't as endearing as symbols.

Even BGII love interests weren't particularly endearing, but due to the enormity of time you spent with them they (much like real people) grew on you. Even so, the only truly successful romance was Jaheira, because it took so much time and effort.

In ME, they could have concentrated only building up the relationship in the first game (which would have given them much more space to work), and presented the sex in the second or even third game. Instead they pushed it to the end of a 20 hour game (of which 13+hours are combat), thus robbing themselves of the opportunity to develop anything, especially with their by default overlong relationship structure (NPC telling their backstory > NPC showing vulnerable side > NPC in doubt > NPC confesses feelings > sex).

Much more successful are romantic interactions where sex doesn't figure at all eg: Annah and Fall-from-Grace. I still wonder what's in Grace's journal, and that's bloody hard to do.

In short: sex gives a little flavor, but it can ruin everything either by becoming an end unto itself, or just being clumsily implemented. The trade off is often not worth it.

Of course all of this is useless if the developers themselves don't know who they are making the game for. ME2 may be rated 18 only but its painfully obvious that the target audience are 15 year old males. Conversely Planescape Torment was rated T by ESRB, and yet its plainly a game made for mature players.

Go figure.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life