Mass Effect 2

Pidesco

I doubt you'll be seeing any squad-based FPS/whatevers any time soon.

The third person cover-based shooter is the thing at the moment and until someone makes the next big thing, we're stuck with it.

Also, at least shooting dudes from behind cover is somewhat more realistic than a running gunfight where you have a ton of health.

Edited by Purkake

Its integral to the gameplay that you can see your character in GoW-like 3PS games. And when it comes to something RPG-ish like Mass Effect Id say its essential, you want to be able to look at all your cool armor and stuff.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Its integral to the gameplay that you can see your character in GoW-like 3PS games. And when it comes to something RPG-ish like Mass Effect Id say its essential, you want to be able to look at all your cool armor and stuff.

First person view is inferior in most cases anyway. I mean you don't even have peripheral vision in FPSs. Spacial awareness FTW!

You'd need that because you're not supposed to be a floating camera but an actual person. Also newer games don't allow you to see around corners with the 3rd person camera.

Maybe I don't want to idendify myself with some character, maybe I just wanna be myself?

Anyway, for an RPG not an option I admit.

That's why it would be interesting to see Bioware making a non-RPG game for a change. Just for the lulz.

First person view is inferior in most cases anyway. I mean you don't even have peripheral vision in FPSs. Spacial awareness FTW!
On the flip side, it's easier to look for hidden stuff in FPV.

You'd need that because you're not supposed to be a floating camera but an actual person. Also newer games don't allow you to see around corners with the 3rd person camera.
Since when can an actual person see himself from behind? >_<

Maybe I don't want to idendify myself with some character, maybe I just wanna be myself?

It's all in your mind. The only game that is FP and where you are as close to "just yourself" as I can think of is Half-Life. You're pretty much always playing a character.

Since when can an actual person see himself from behind? :p

Some compromises must be made. I guess over-the-shoulder view eliminates the "seeing behind you" problem.

So Kelly Chambers, Miranda Lawson, Subject Zero, Tali, & Samara are all tappable chicks of the crew? That's plenty of interstellar pootang for one player.

Samara isn't confirmed, only speculated. Kelly was a developer post that appears to be either a joke or refering to a fling. Tali is more speculaiton.

According to Casey it's three love interests per gender, if he was remembering correctly.

DudeShep

1. Miranda

2. Subject Zero

3. ???

Femshep

1. Jacob

2. Thane

3. ????

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Please do not make Tali romanceable. There are so many other places this character could go that would be much more interesting.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

On the topic of sex in recent videogames: the only thing I hate more than including sex just to make a game supposedly mature is not having the courage to go through with it once its in. Mass Effect's "sex" was tamer than the average commercial, and that kind of political correctness just drives me barmy.

Goddamn it DD, I just had lunch.

Put some normal sex on to wash this horror out. :p

What Boo meant was that BioWare needs to have the courage to show hawt, naked women. Artistic integrity is just a codeword for BOOBS, you know.

Okay, this is something that bothers me a great deal. The last two games (DA and ME2) the majority of preview trailers have consisted of FMV that is not in the game at all. Depictions of actual gameplay have been very brief. Yet, everyone seems to believe that the game will be the best game ever based solely upon these non-game FMVs. Why is that? Are we gamers really that shallow?

Dragon Age had a single preview trailer that was FMV and we

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Wasn't there some mention in one of the recent interviews that there's someone romancable who was in ME but wasn't romancable? Which is what a lot of people think Tali falls under....

Whether it was just a tease or a joke is another matter.. but it would fit the semi-unknown third..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Wasn't there some mention in one of the recent interviews that there's someone romancable who was in ME but wasn't romancable? Which is what a lot of people think Tali falls under....

Whether it was just a tease or a joke is another matter.. but it would fit the semi-unknown third..

It was an interview from the CES. I think Tali is the third romance option for dudes, but I hope otherwise.

Also, I hope next time BioWare comes to Las Vegas, they pick a venue that's open to the general public.

What Boo meant was that BioWare needs to have the courage to show hawt, naked women.

Indeed. :lol:

Artistic integrity is just a codeword for BOOBS, you know.

Nothin escapes this girl. :lol:

I was kidding back there (mostly) but since you seem so keen on the subject of video game relationships here is what I have to say on it.

Actually, I was pretty much satisfied with the fade to black approach of BGII since the romance (Jaheira) that led up to that point was fulfilling. The "sex" was just a part of it, and to be frank - the least important part (I had no idea that there would in fact be sex, and I didnt care).

With Mass Effect they "introduced" sex (visually), but there was no emotional attachment to the potential love interests at all. When there's nothing satisfying about the romance it becomes a game of choose-the-right-answer-to-get-in-my-pants. Since I'm not expecting anything better of ME2, I want the reward for the minigame to be a bit more interesting, (read: naked women) not a family friendly sex scene.

In short: since they dont give a toss for my appreciation of an engaging romance, they might as well appeal to my base instincts. This desire comes out of the very very low expectations I have for this game, and their future games.

I've nothing against exploring more relationships and pushing the limits of the sex taboo in computer games, as long as it doesnt tarnish the core playing experience (by being lackluster in some way).

What I dont want to see is them putting in sex just because the Witcher is doing is, and because it sounded like a very "mature" idea at the time - and then when they finally shoehorn it in somehow it turns out to be meh. An unfulfilling relationship followed by unfulfillling sex is a lose-lose situation. (in life as well, lol)

An engaging relationship followed by tasteful and graphic sex is a win-win situation. But if I had to pick just one of those, it would always be an engaging relationship, (Jaheira, Deionarra, Fall-from-Grace :p ) simply because of the role play potential.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

I agree that the most satisfying in-game romance relationships are those that are engaging. Two or three correct dialogue choices then flash forward to the steamy bits leaves me feeling cheated. If romances are going to be written into games... and I personally like them a lot... then care must be taken to develop legitimate, realistic emotional responses between the characters, and by rote the player himself/herself. The Shepard/Kaidan romance was a shortcut, great potential that just didn't make the grade. The PC/Alistair romance was much more emotionally engaging... to the point that I was actually upset when he dumped me!

As for the sex scenes, I'd prefer to see longer scenes, more adult content, a bit more graphic but without too much gratuitous "tit"-illation. :p The fade-to-black stuff doesn't quite cut it with me, not when I've spent a couple dozen hours developing a full-bloom, deeply-in-love romance. The game is mature. The sex should be mature.

That said, BioWare still handles in-game romance development and sex scenes better than any other developer I know. They're getting better at it with every game, so I have high hopes for their future offerings.

Edited by ~Di

They're getting better at it with every game, so I have high hopes for their future offerings.

Not really unless you're talking about romances for female PC's (which is possible since I don't play them). As far as male romance options are concerned the 3 in BGII haven't yet been matched let alone surpassed. (though I cannot confirm this for DA, I don't know what the romances are like there)

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

With Mass Effect they "introduced" sex (visually), but there was no emotional attachment to the potential love interests at all.

Hmmm... That depends a lot how you roleplay your characters. For my female paragon Shepard romance with Liera worked just fine. Same with my male renegade (and racist) with Ashley. Heck, they could be soul mates based on how well their personalities matched together. Kaidan romance didn't work at all for my mostly neurtal, but tolerant female and Liera was horrible with my semi renegade human pragmatist.

I got a feeling that romance with Subject Zero will work great. Miranda probably not so much... maybe for my pragmatist but not other characters.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Don't know why, but I keep thinking that romance with Subject Zero is the closest thing you can get to banging a husk.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

"As far as male romance options are concerned the 3 in BGII haven't yet been matched let alone surpassed."

Jokin' right? Oh, I forgot, BIO's newer games don't allow youm to romance a mouse. L0LZ

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Goddamn it DD, I just had lunch.

What Boo meant was that BioWare needs to have the courage to show hawt, naked women. Artistic integrity is just a codeword for BOOBS, you know.

What, do you mean that my gift wasn't appreciated? But I put so much thought and effort for it :woot:

And Maria, no need to make stealth posts like that, we all know what YOU would want to see 8)

As for "romance" and sex in games, I earlier thought that they are a nice addition in games, but now when I have seen what even those shallow bromances have done to some people, I'm starting to lean towards to total banning of "romaces" in games. I mean really, I have started to feel sick if I happen to see those, eh.. posts from sosially imapaired, especially in Bio forums.

"As far as male romance options are concerned the 3 in BGII haven't yet been matched let alone surpassed."

Jokin' right? Oh, I forgot, BIO's newer games don't allow youm to romance a mouse. L0LZ

Vol, you forgot to take your pills again. If you didn't, you need to take more of them.

What Boo meant was that BioWare needs to have the courage to show hawt, naked women.

Indeed. 8)

Artistic integrity is just a codeword for BOOBS, you know.

Nothin escapes this girl. :lol:

I was kidding back there (mostly) but since you seem so keen on the subject of video game relationships here is what I have to say on it.

Actually, I was pretty much satisfied with the fade to black approach of BGII since the romance (Jaheira) that led up to that point was fulfilling. The "sex" was just a part of it, and to be frank - the least important part (I had no idea that there would in fact be sex, and I didnt care).

With Mass Effect they "introduced" sex (visually), but there was no emotional attachment to the potential love interests at all. When there's nothing satisfying about the romance it becomes a game of choose-the-right-answer-to-get-in-my-pants. Since I'm not expecting anything better of ME2, I want the reward for the minigame to be a bit more interesting, (read: naked women) not a family friendly sex scene.

In short: since they dont give a toss for my appreciation of an engaging romance, they might as well appeal to my base instincts. This desire comes out of the very very low expectations I have for this game, and their future games.

I've nothing against exploring more relationships and pushing the limits of the sex taboo in computer games, as long as it doesnt tarnish the core playing experience (by being lackluster in some way).

What I dont want to see is them putting in sex just because the Witcher is doing is, and because it sounded like a very "mature" idea at the time - and then when they finally shoehorn it in somehow it turns out to be meh. An unfulfilling relationship followed by unfulfillling sex is a lose-lose situation. (in life as well, lol)

An engaging relationship followed by tasteful and graphic sex is a win-win situation. But if I had to pick just one of those, it would always be an engaging relationship, (Jaheira, Deionarra, Fall-from-Grace :woot: ) simply because of the role play potential.

Hear, hear!

Listen Bio - learn from Witcher! Give us b00bie cards!

mirandawitchercard.jpg

manthing2.jpg