Steam Holiday Sale

Morgoth

I've never played mass effect, but 4 euro's, that's practically nothing. Is it any good ?

I think it's potentially what the original Baldur's Gate was - a prequel and a prototype to a brilliant game. A good game in its own right, but hardly flawless. Based on what I've seen of ME2, it will be relegated to the same role BG1 had, having played it makes you appreciate the sequel more and fondly remembered, never booted.

It cost me a lot more than 4 euros, and I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of it over the last 6+ months.

It's funny because BG1 was better than BG2.

Story-wise, yes. In technical and design execution, no.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

What?
The background music(s) wasn't looped. It played once, then you wouldn't hear it until you loaded a save or re-entered the area (or was that a bug I had?). Which is a damn shame, 'cause it's an awesome OST. At least the sonss I payed attention to.

I've never played mass effect, but 4 euro's, that's practically nothing. Is it any good ?

I think it's potentially what the original Baldur's Gate was - a prequel and a prototype to a brilliant game. A good game in its own right, but hardly flawless. Based on what I've seen of ME2, it will be relegated to the same role BG1 had, having played it makes you appreciate the sequel more and fondly remembered, never booted.

It cost me a lot more than 4 euros, and I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of it over the last 6+ months.

It's funny because BG1 was better than BG2.

Story-wise, yes. In technical and design execution, no.

I found BG1 more free, less angsty, and prettier. BG2 lost its soul. :(

First of all, Mass Effect is pure awesomeness and anyone who hasnt played it should buy it. It's without a doubt Biowares best game and one of the most entertaining gaming experiences of all time.

And secondly, BG1 was mostly a grindfest with very little story and character. BG2 expanded the concept into something real.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

First of all, Mass Effect is pure awesomeness and anyone who hasnt played it should buy it. It's without a doubt Biowares best game and one of the most entertaining gaming experiences of all time.

And secondly, BG1 was mostly a grindfest with very little story and character. BG2 expanded the concept into something real.

You think BG1 is a grindfest but think Mass Effect isn't? Something does not compute.

You think BG1 is a grindfest but think Mass Effect isn't? Something does not compute.

Im replaying ME right now and the time you spend in combat compared to traditonal RPGs is very short. There is no "not another damn cave of friggin' goblins!" combat fatigue.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Im replaying ME right now and the time you spend in combat compared to traditonal RPGs is very short. There is no "not another damn cave of friggin' goblins!" combat fatigue.

This is very true. Unfortunately, it has the 'not another damn planet of friggin' mountains' mako fatigue.

BG1 suffers from the AD&D systems core problem. The differences 1-2 levels can make at the lower end are astounding - this results in practically all areas having a mix of good low level encounters and insanely lethal ones. So instead of just either following the story or exploring, I find myself making a list of safe lvl 1-3 encounters and trying to find those on the overland areas without getting my bottom handed to me... in another words, due to the slow dribbling experience gain and steep power curve of 2e AD&D I just wind up metagaming the hell out of it.

This is not a problem in BG2, as your start up higher (and probably overall level a bit faster, too) or Icewind Dale (where you get the first few levels in pretty rapid succession).

The engine/gameplay improvements in BG2 are pretty significant as well.

OTOH, I really like Sarevok as a villain and his plot to take over the world is at least pretty innovative to me. I also vastly prefer the BG1 casting sounds over the latin in bg2... :(

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

BG2 has one huge advantage over other Bioware RPGs, which is that the plot isn't a by the numbers save the world/universe/whatever story. It may not be a very good plot, but at least it isn't the same tired and trite stuff Bioware has gotten used to churn out.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

It's also unlike other Bioware games in that intra-party plotlines and dialogue happened randomly, as opposed to in lockstep with core path milestones. Whinge all you want about lovetalks right after slaughtering a dragon, they didn't feel staged. Running into Jaheira's curse for the first time is genuinely bewildering. There are very few "what the **** just happened?" in CRPGs since then.

Edited by Pop

What never ceases to amaze me is that, apparently, no one cares that, starting with NWN, Bioware turned party NPCs into static, monologue pez dispensers. It was a huge step backwards from BG2.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I actually had to check whether David Warner was really dead. He is not dead.

Oh yeah, Trine and Morrowind are $5 today. I was hoping Empire: TW would be on a daily special before the sale is over.

Oh Jimmy, you were so funny.

Don't let me down.

From habit he lifts his watch; it shows him its blank face.

Zero hour, Snowman thinks. Time to go.

I picked up Stalker and Torchlight. 40 bucks worth games for $7... Nice.

Edited by I want teh kotor 3
In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS